The simFlight Network Forums

Can this be done with FSUIPC?

I am building an overhead control panel modeled on the CRJ for my flight simulator. I'm getting a Pulse Generator #2120 from Desktop Aviator to interface 20 Single Pole Single Throw switches to this card. The Pulse Generator #2120 is seen as a joystick controller in the control panel. I want to be able to for example turn taxi lights on and off with a switch on this overhead panel, but this is not a control option available through the fsx key assignments. Not being familiar enough with FSUIPC, and this be done?

I am building an overhead control panel modeled on the CRJ for my flight simulator. I'm getting a Pulse Generator #2120 from Desktop Aviator to interface 20 Single Pole Single Throw switches to this card. The Pulse Generator #2120 is seen as a joystick controller in the control panel. I want to be able to for example turn taxi lights on and off with a switch on this overhead panel, but this is not a control option available through the fsx key assignments. Not being familiar enough with FSUIPC, and this be done?

Yes.

There is a "toggle taxi lights" FS control. Can't you assign that in FS? You can in FSUIPC of course. But if you want an "on" and an "off" separately, you can use the FSUIPC added controls "Offset Word Setbits" and "Offset Word Clearbits" to set or clear the light switch in offset x0D0C. The taxi light switch is bit 3 (2^3), so you use a parameter of 8 (= 2 x 2 x 2 = 2^3).

Regards

Pete

I can assign it in the standard.xml file ie taxi_lights_toggle="t". My question is can I assign this function via FSUIPC to an independent single pole single throw switch attached to a usb interface card that controls 20 switches (http://www.desktopaviator.com/Products//index.htm). Via the FSX assignments list there is no direct control for taxi lights or navigation lights. So apart from clicking with a mouse (which I don't want to do), can FSUIPC do this for me?

My flight deck picture is here:

SANY0026.jpg

The picture above the flight deck is behind a 1/4" piece of plexi glass and I'm mounting the switches directly to this.

Jerry

I can assign it in the standard.xml file ie taxi_lights_toggle="t".

Yes, that's the keyboard assignment. But you can use that FS control from a button too, it is listed in the FSUIPC assignments dropdown.

My question is can I assign this function via FSUIPC to an independent single pole single throw switch attached to a usb interface card that controls 20 switches (http://www.desktopaviator.com/Products//index.htm). Via the FSX assignments list there is no direct control for taxi lights or navigation lights. So apart from clicking with a mouse (which I don't want to do), can FSUIPC do this for me?

If your buttons are detectable by Windows and by FS then they are detectable by FSUIPC too, then the answer is yes, as I already answered. Please refer back to my answer. You can assign to the FS control for a toggle operation, but if you want a separate ON and OFF action you can do that too, as I clearly explained.

If you bother to ask questions, please do read the answers. I don't see the point in me having to say the same thing over and over.

Regards

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Pete,

Got the registered FSUIPC for FSX and everything works fine. Before i just realize the multitude of keys/functions that were assignable. I've got 20 switches on the overhead panel that work great now. Desktop Aviator is building a board that will support more of the functions that I'll incorporate into my flight deck. Appreciate the great great program. many thanks.

Jerry

=========

My flight deck here:

http://home.comcast.net/~gwplotts/site/