The simFlight Network Forums

Weathervaning, Taxi Wind Control & FSX

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask the question, but tried searching the docs and didn't see anything.

Are weathervaning effects way exaggerated in FSX or it is just me??? today, Boston and New York were incredible!! winds gusting to 60! now.. in the 'air' it felt ok, but ground handling felt very unrealistic, so I was wondering the following:

Does the taxi wind control present in the FS2004 FSUIPC versions 'ease' the weathervaning effects? and most importanly, why is that FSX doesn't have that option! It was driving me nuts today, I just want to know if I'm the only one experiencing this and if anyone any solutions to 'ease', solve or aliviate the problem. I have FSX and use exclusively.

Thanks,

Are weathervaning effects way exaggerated in FSX or it is just me?

They are a lot better in FSX than in any previous version, but still not right for all aircraft.

today, Boston and New York were incredible!! winds gusting to 60! now.. in the 'air' it felt ok, but ground handling felt very unrealistic

Since the aircraft just moves with the air when off the ground it should feel fine. Gusts are not the same as turbulence which is much more noticeable in the air. But with 60 knot gusts on the ground I would have thought most aircraft would be grounded. What do you mean by "unrealistic" weathervaning? Not enough? In 60 knot gusts I'd have had to tie my training aircraft (when I used to fly for real) down really well and hope for the best!

Does the taxi wind control present in the FS2004 FSUIPC versions 'ease' the weathervaning effects?

It removed all realistic wind effects on the ground by reducing any cross-wind on the aircraft to 1 knot, no matter which way you were facing. It was intended for those who simply found they couldn't taxi in a straight line with any wind present at all. It shouldn't really be needed as you should be able to use a combination of rudder and aileron to overcome most "safe" wind speeds. (For definition of max safe cross and tail winds look them up in the specific aircraft performance manual). But FS9 and before had poor ground friction so the effects were certainly a bit exaggerated at times.

and most importanly, why is that FSX doesn't have that option!

There's no way to do real direct wind control in FSX without setting Global mode, which makes the weather the same everywhere in the world. If I used that to provide a taxi wind control on the ground then you'd have lost the world's true weather after takeoff.

It was driving me nuts today

Best to tie down your aircraft in such weather and go fishing! ;-)

More seriously, programs like ActiveSky do provide good direct control facilities and limits on surface winds, things like that. That's really the best way to go.

Regards

Pete

What do you mean by "unrealistic" weathervaning? Not enough? In 60 knot gusts I'd have had to tie my training aircraft (when I used to fly for real) down really well and hope for the best!

Pete, I won't deny it, the 'effect' is cool as hel :) however, a 60kts gust TILTING a 767? I freaked out! it looked as if it was rolling to the side, too much :) but worse than that was 'trying' to taxi! (I use the little thumb stick in my CH Thottle as the steering tiler) and it was driving me crazy, I can't imagine it works like that in real life, a 767 its a massive aicraft, will a 30kts wind be noticeable in a 767 to the point it affects taxing?

More seriously, programs like ActiveSky do provide good direct control facilities and limits on surface winds, things like that. That's really the best way to go.

Yeah, I use global mode in ASE (they call it direct wind control i Think) it works fine, but I haven't tried the surface winds limiter, because it is not clear if surface means, SURFACE like, 0 AGL or a 'layer' and it will completely defeat the purpose on crosswind landings :)

... a 60kts gust TILTING a 767?

Sounds interesting. I don't know how much direct side force it would need. Probably depends on whether you were fully loaded or not. Did you turn the ailerons into the wind as you should?

I freaked out! it looked as if it was rolling to the side, too much :) but worse than that was 'trying' to taxi! (I use the little thumb stick in my CH Thottle as the steering tiler) and it was driving me crazy, I can't imagine it works like that in real life, a 767 its a massive aicraft, will a 30kts wind be noticeable in a 767 to the point it affects taxing?

I don't know. You'll need to ask in an aircraft-knowledgeable forum.

Yeah, I use global mode in ASE (they call it direct wind control i Think) it works fine, but I haven't tried the surface winds limiter, because it is not clear if surface means, SURFACE like, 0 AGL or a 'layer' and it will completely defeat the purpose on crosswind landings :)

It will be the surface LAYER, and surely you would certainly not land any aircraft in a 60 knot crosswind -- you'd divert to a place with a more suitably aligned runway. So a surface wind limit still makes sense if you want to be able to land anywhere you choose.

Regards

Pete