The simFlight Network Forums

Could this be a FSUIPC caused problem?

Hello,

I have a problem that i can't solve:

Since my main Flightsim computer crashed, I needed to reinstall my OS (XPsp2) and Flightsim 2004.

Before the crash, everything worked fine, but now I cannot get my MCP-Pro panel to work anymore.

To explain what my setup is about:

FS2004 is on my Main PC, together with Go-Flight software, WideFSserver and FSUIPC of course.

The second PC has PMRJ, PMSounds, GFKeys TheRealCockpit software and WideFS.

The third PC has PMRJ, Opencockpits sioc, GFKeys and WideFS

The Fourth PC has PM-MCP, PM-CDU and WideFS

It was only my main PC that was reinstalled, and I installed it exactly the same as before.

All communications are in order (according to PMFileCheck), all other GoFlight panels and buttons work as expected.

In the GFConfig program all seems well, all devices recognized and properly set.

Because I downloaded all new versions I now have:

FSUIPC registered v. 3.982

WideFS registered v 6.78 Client version 6.795

GoFlight software v 1.90

PM-MCP build 447

What happens when I startup: I set GF-MCP Pro to Project Magenta, start all the client software on the other PC's

and next FS on the main PC. A soon as the "create a Flight" menu appears, the GF-MCP shows minus signs in the displays.

When I start the flight everything on the MCP goes dead. Nothing at all, not even after pressing the buttons.

There seems to be no cummunication between the GF-MCP and PM-MCP, because when I set a button on either one, there's no reaction on the other one. However when I open the FSUIPC window and select buttons & switches tab, and press a button on the GF-MCP, FSUIPC sees it.....

What I have tried:

-Went back to GF software 1.81 (the one I used before the crash)

-Set the GF-MCP to Flightsimulator instead of Project Magenta. Then the display stayed on during Flightsim, but still no communication between the GF MCP and PM MCP...

-Tried different versions of FSUIPC from 3.98 to 3.982 and 3.983 (I used to have version 3.85, but replaced it with the newer version, so it's gone I'm afraid)

-Tried different versions of WideFs, 6.78 to 6.795 for the client

All this did not do the trick. And because I have no Idea what's causing this, I don't know what to do other than ask for help....

My suspicion lies with the version 3.98 of FSUIPC, because at this time that is the only bit of software that is different from my previous setup, but I can't tell if that's true....

I hope you can help!

Regards.

Jaap Both

Before the crash, everything worked fine, but now I cannot get my MCP-Pro panel to work anymore.

What happens when I startup: I set GF-MCP Pro to Project Magenta, start all the client software on the other PC's

and next FS on the main PC. A soon as the "create a Flight" menu appears, the GF-MCP shows minus signs in the displays.

When I start the flight everything on the MCP goes dead. Nothing at all, not even after pressing the buttons.

What software is supposed to be controlling the GF-MCP? Have you programmed it all in FSUIPC, otr are you using the GF software? If the latter, then FSUIPC doesn't come into it.

There seems to be no cummunication between the GF-MCP and PM-MCP, because when I set a button on either one, there's no reaction on the other one. However when I open the FSUIPC window and select buttons & switches tab, and press a button on the GF-MCP, FSUIPC sees it.....

Sounds like whatever software you use to link the pmMCP program to the GF MCP hardware either isn't running or isn't set up correctly.

My suspicion lies with the version 3.98 of FSUIPC, because at this time that is the only bit of software that is different from my previous setup, but I can't tell if that's true....

But nothing you've said indicates that FSUIPC has anything whatsoever to do with it. What does your MCP Pro hardware use to talk to pm's MCP software? And if pm's MCP is supposed to link to the GF MCP shouldn't they both be on the same PC?

Regards

Pete

What software is supposed to be controlling the GF-MCP? Have you programmed it all in FSUIPC, otr are you using the GF software? If the latter, then FSUIPC doesn't come into it.

I did not program anything in FSUIPC, I never did before, because it wasn't required. I use the GFConfig program to tell the GF MCP PRO that it is going to be used wit Project Magenta, that's all

Sounds like whatever software you use to link the pmMCP program to the GF MCP hardware either isn't running or isn't set up correctly.

Could very well be. But that's the strange thing. Other than that I had to reinstall the main FS PC (that runs FS2004 with FSUIPC and GF software), I never changed anything on the other PC's. I only installed the newer versions of FSUIPC, Wideserver, GFConfig (the GoFlight software) on the main FS PC, and a newer Wideclient on the other PC's

But nothing you've said indicates that FSUIPC has anything whatsoever to do with it. What does your MCP Pro hardware use to talk to pm's MCP software? And if pm's MCP is supposed to link to the GF MCP shouldn't they both be on the same PC?

True, and I have nothing to say otherwise, but the only difference between my setup before the crash and the setup now, is a different version of FSUIPC.

As I said above, the GoFlight MCP is set for operation with Project Magenta with the GFConfig program. I don't know if you are familiar with GFConfig, but it's is a program that starts a GUI in which you can tell what each button on GoFlight modules must do when activated. For the MCP there is not much choice: You can set Project Magenta, FS Default, Level D 767 and Compatible addon. So I presumed that FSUIPC was handling the communications between PM and GF.....

I always believed that the PM software could run on any PC and interact via WideFS with other software, so I cannot say if both should be on the same PC. But before the crash it DID work that way.......

Luckily I found an older FSUIPC version on one of my backups (v3.85), and I hope that I have some spare time tomorrow evening to give that a try. It's my last resort. I can't get a hold of GoFlight support, don't know what's going on there, but they never answered my inquiry.....

Thanks for your insights!

Regards,

Jaap

I did not program anything in FSUIPC, I never did before, because it wasn't required. I use the GFConfig program to tell the GF MCP PRO that it is going to be used wit Project Magenta, that's all

In that case FSUIPC is really not involved, is it?

As I said above, the GoFlight MCP is set for operation with Project Magenta with the GFConfig program. I don't know if you are familiar with GFConfig, but it's is a program that starts a GUI in which you can tell what each button on GoFlight modules must do when activated

Yes I know.

I think you need GoFlight support for this.

I always believed that the PM software could run on any PC and interact via WideFS with other software

Yes, provided that other software deals with it through its FSUIPC interface. But I don't know of any GoFlight software which does this. Surely the MCP would connect direct to the pmMCP and use an INI file paramter to tell the pmMCP program to use that hardware? At least this is how it works with the PFC MCP, and the CP Flight MCP.

so I cannot say if both should be on the same PC. But before the crash it DID work that way.......

In that case I can only assume you were using some Goflight program which has an interface to the pmMCP via FSUIPC offsets. I'm pretty sure GFConfig doesn't do that, but maybe there are other GF programs or modules which do. In that case it would seem that are some files you are missing or some CFG ot INI parameters wrong. You really need to check the GoFlight documentation on how to set it up to work with PM. Isn't there a Support forum for GF? The PM forums over on MyCockpit might be good place to ask, too?

Regards

Pete

Hello Again,

The problem is solved! It works again as it used to.

With Ghostreader I was able to open a very old backup, and I started to compare the Modules folder in FS with what I had in the backup:

There was an file called GFmcp2k4.ini missing ! Only four little lines:

[Main]

Config=E:\GoFlight\DefaultFS9.gfc

3piWrapper1=E:\GoFlight\GF3pLvlD.dll

3piWrapper2=E:\GoFlight\GF3pPM.dll

As soon as I copied the file back to the modules folder and started FS, it worked again ! Yippie! :D

I guess the GoFlight installer somehow 'forgot' to install it.

Still no contact with GoFlight support, but as soon as I do I will report this, so they can check it.

Anyway, thanks for your great support; you were right again, it had nothing to do with FSUIPC!

Best Regards,

Jaap