The simFlight Network Forums

WideView, FSX and Win7

Hello.

I've post this on a couple other forums and thought I'd take a shot here too.

I recently installed WideView on two Win7 computers but just can't get the client to sync well with the server. I have tried many different Configure settings as well as the Default settings.

The server is an I-5 750 on a Gigabyte board that will easily run 50-60 fps and the client is an E8500 on a EVGA 690i that runs just a bit slower; I have them both set to 33 fps. I use an older Buffalo router but both client and server are attached to a new high-speed D-link switch. I tried a Linksys switch just to test and there was no difference.

I use a utility called Currport to see what ports are open. As per WV instructions I initially set the server & client to socket 8000 but one or the other (can't remember which) would not open an 8000 UDP port. I changed both server and client to socket 8002 and got an 8002 UDP connection on both server and client..

I note there were several FSX ports (UDP and TCP) open on both the server and client, numbered between 8000 and 50000 (e.g. 45678). Is it normal to have several ports open?

To experiment I set both client and server to socket 45000 but that did not work at all. I don't know much about ports but I thought I could just set a corresponding port on each computer and they would connect if available.

I think my computers are powerful enough but it seems my server has a real problem sending out network packets? I would appreciate any help or suggestions as I really want this system to work. Possibly a Gigabyte borad issue?

Thanks.

Bruce

• 4 months later...

I've post this on a couple other forums and thought I'd take a shot here too.

Was one of those Forums one for WidevieW support? Not sure if anyone here would be able to help.

I use a utility called Currport to see what ports are open. As per WV instructions I initially set the server & client to socket 8000 but one or the other (can't remember which) would not open an 8000 UDP port. I changed both server and client to socket 8002 and got an 8002 UDP connection on both server and client.

I assume you don't have WideFS enabled in FSUIPC4, because that uses ports 8002 and 9002 by default.

I note there were several FSX ports (UDP and TCP) open on both the server and client, numbered between 8000 and 50000 (e.g. 45678). Is it normal to have several ports open?

I think FSX's SimConnect opens a few.

Regards

Pete