The simFlight Network Forums

"Cold-and-Dark" + Joystick Modes

Dear Peter (and the Team?),

First off, I would like to seize this great opportunity to convey you my best regards and my ENDLESS thanks for such a nice software you developed - FSUIPC! Tbh, I'm speechless to see how expandable and versatile some 300Kb library file can be... A piece of art and an exemplary show-off for beginning programmers like me. Thank you very much for your efforts you put into the development in order to cherish the whims of flightsim fans, to say the least!

======================================================================================================================================

Straight to the deal... I've spent a couple of hours to read thoroughly the documents shipped with the FSUIPC - quite a steep learning curve but very fruitful experience, on the other hand! Please correct me if I am wrong, but from what I understood reading the Advanced Users' Manual, there IS a possibility to "program" (through INI file) different "flight scenarios" (takeoff, climb, descent, etc.) using a joystick with a bunch of buttons only. I currently use Saitek's X52 Pro which has some 40 clickable buttons, POVs, etc., and, to be honest, expandability (wow, I said that!) of FSUIPC was the very first question I've been asking myself before reading the manuals. Could you please show a quick example on how to assign conditional commands through FSUIPC, like changing radio frequencies for COM and NAV using one POV only:

COM Mode actions:

1- Changes COM2 (standby) with increments/decrements of whole and fraction numbers (four-button POV used: the first 2 buttons change the whole numbers the last 2 - the fractions);

2- When I'm happy, swaps COM2 to COM1 (compound buttons?!?)

NAV Mode actions:

1- Changes NAV2 (standby) with increments/decrements of whole and fraction numbers (the same four-button POV used: the first 2 buttons change the whole numbers the last 2 - the fractions);

2- Again, swaps NAV2 to NAV1 (e.g., on button release?).

One of the reasons I bought X52 Pro was it was possible to adjust it for three different Modes by switching the relevant knob on the stick. And I would definitely like and have some ideas to use FSUIPC instead of the regular Saitek's API to program it the way I like. But when I read Compound Buttons section of Advanced User's Manual, it didn't give me the idea of using the joy in different modes - only execution of secondary actions by triggering the primary action first! Although it is VERY useful facility but I couldn't somehow materialize how Compound Buttons conditions may be applied in shifting the joystick modes.

====================================================================================================================================

My other question will be similar to the one you've been asked before (see: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=13882). However, I'll put it in other way - is it possible to START (not restart!) a flight after selection of a proper aircraft (which has been made entries in INI file for) from FS Aircraft menu in a cold-and-dark mode, i.e. from the beginning of flight? You may say many addon developers like PMDG offer this possibility already but what about a default aircraft? But I have read in another thread that it was actually possible to apply this on PMDG JS41 using LUA programming language. The other reason is I currently use default C172SP "adapted" by RealAir Simulations and like the way it behaves both on the ground and in the air - huge difference with default one!

Well, once again thank you for your support and patience bearing this long post with me... :)

Rustam

One of the reasons I bought X52 Pro was it was possible to adjust it for three different Modes by switching the relevant knob on the stick. And I would definitely like and have some ideas to use FSUIPC instead of the regular Saitek's API to program it the way I like.

Is the switch for selecting the mode detected as a switch or button in FSUIPC? If so you simply make your FSUIPC assignments conditional upon that switch setting. If not then you'd need some other switch to act as the selector.

But when I read Compound Buttons section of Advanced User's Manual, it didn't give me the idea of using the joy in different modes - only execution of secondary actions by triggering the primary action first!

How do you work that out? The condition test only determines whether that line, that assignment, should activate when the primary button/switch is used. That's why that assignment becomes "conditional". You make other assignments for the same primary button or switch with different conditions. Hence you get different modes. If you only have one condition button you only have two modes -- with the condition button or switch off or on. With multiple switches or buttons, or a multiway switch, you'd have 2^N modes (2 buttons --> 4 modes, 3 buttons -> 8 modes, etc).

You can also use one button to make as many modes as you can, by using it to cyclically increment a user offset (Offset byte cyclic increment control). You can use User Offset x66C0. Then the condition you'd use would be an Offset test: "B66C0=0 ...", "B66C0=1 ..." etc. One Byte can have 256 values, so256 modes. The only trouble with that method is keeping track of which mode you are in. You could use a Lua plug-in to display that, however.

is it possible to START (not restart!) a flight after selection of a proper aircraft (which has been made entries in INI file for) from FS Aircraft menu in a cold-and-dark mode

All you need to do is set things up in cold and dark mode and save that as your default flight.

Regards

Pete

Is the switch for selecting the mode detected as a switch or button in FSUIPC? If so you simply make your FSUIPC assignments conditional upon that switch setting. If not then you'd need some other switch to act as the selector.

No, Sir, FSUIPC does not recognise the switch for sure! I guess I have to use one of the regular buttons, as per your advise. Question is HOW!?

How do you work that out? The condition test only determines whether that line, that assignment, should activate when the primary button/switch is used. That's why that assignment becomes "conditional". You make other assignments for the same primary button or switch with different conditions. Hence you get different modes. If you only have one condition button you only have two modes -- with the condition button or switch off or on. With multiple switches or buttons, or a multiway switch, you'd have 2^N modes (2 buttons --> 4 modes, 3 buttons -> 8 modes, etc).

Sorry, I am quite new to FSUIPC and indeed very limited to try it in full since I use my friends computer (i.e., his registered software). Btw, I just checked Simmarket - it accepts Paypal and, thanks to your return and prompt reply FSUIPC3 is in my checkout box now... :)

Anyway, I have only manuals in hand and from what I understand the conditionality of buttons apply if one wants to trigger events which are connected to the primary event only - e.g., pressing the button at 50ft to change to ATC-required tower frequency would simultaneously trigger gears up, OR another useful example - after pressing the button to change radio frequency, button OFF would also make (swap) the standby radio to active mode. But there is a limited number of such conditions within the scope of activities in any aircraft. And that's why I cannot understand how the joystick modes can be changed with button on and off... Sorry, if I understood everything wrong from the manuals!

You can also use one button to make as many modes as you can, by using it to cyclically increment a user offset (Offset byte cyclic increment control). You can use User Offset x66C0. Then the condition you'd use would be an Offset test: "B66C0=0 ...", "B66C0=1 ..." etc. One Byte can have 256 values, so256 modes. The only trouble with that method is keeping track of which mode you are in. You could use a Lua plug-in to display that, however.

Again, I cannot practice with offsets since I don't have FSUIPC yet. But the explanation within manuals seems rather vague to me, on the other hand. I'll put it simple - I even don't understand WHAT are they and how one can get use of 'em... I better go back to the manual reading. At least, you reassured me that there IS a possibility (I prefer the word "facility" the way you use it) to implement joystick modes in FSUIPC. The more I am in the "business", the more I like it!!!

All you need to do is set things up in cold and dark mode and save that as your default flight.

I have done that already! I was just thinking of trying the same with FSUIPC - so deep I love these 300 kbs! :)

Thank you very much! And see you when I'm registered!

... from what I understand the conditionality of buttons apply if one wants to trigger events which are connected to the primary event only - e.g., pressing the button at 50ft to change to ATC-required tower frequency would simultaneously trigger gears up

Sorry, I don't understand. what are you considering "primary" here? And what is your condition? That seems only to be a simply example of a button programmed to do two things instead of one.

OR another useful example - after pressing the button to change radio frequency, button OFF would also make (swap) the standby radio to active mode.

Again, simple two actions, no conditions.

If you apply conditions, then the action only happens if the condition is true. not if false. That's what "conditional" means. Merely having two or more controls occurring on the press of one button is a simple case of multiple assignments to the one button, not anything to do with conditions.

But there is a limited number of such conditions within the scope of activities in any aircraft.

What conditions? You've mentioned none!

And that's why I cannot understand how the joystick modes can be changed with button on and off... Sorry, if I understood everything wrong from the manuals!

The conditions available are combinations of buttons -- button X does Y when button Z is also pressed (or "on"), and so on. Or, for offset conditions, when an offset has a particular value or bit set or not.

Please do check the examples provided!

But the explanation within manuals seems rather vague to me

Why vague? Tell me which part is "vague". I never ever write "vague" stuff! I write definitively, as like a specification. It is how I am trained (and that's what folks usually criticize my documentation for, certainly not "vagueness"! That's a first!). If you find there is something "vague" please show me exactly which part you mean!!

What is it you really don't understand? From the odd condition-less examples you quote, it seems to me it is the word "condition" which you don't understand. Is that right?

Regards

Pete