The simFlight Network Forums

FSX saving windows position

Hello,

I think that this question is really basic/standard regarding FSX, but does FSUIPC has features to automatically save/restore the whole windows config in FSX ?

I mean after restarting FSX have all FS windows restored in their previous position ?

I'm running a 6 screens simulator (home built for my real flying school), and facing this problem. After digging the web, I saw some stuffs with external programs to save/restore these windows size & pos, but it's not working realiabiliy on this 6 screens config.

Thanks,

Frédéric.

... does FSUIPC has features to automatically save/restore the whole windows config in FSX ?

No, sorry. But there is a separate program which will do it.

I'm running a 6 screens simulator (home built for my real flying school), and facing this problem. After digging the web, I saw some stuffs with external programs to save/restore these windows size & pos, but it's not working realiabiliy on this 6 screens config.

Not reliably? Hmm. Well I'm not sure that I could do it any better than they. All a program can do is read the positions as they are when you say to "save" them (or possibly automatically when you close FS -- though that's a little less reliable because by the time the program or add-in has read the positions some might have closed), and likewise restore them when requested (or, again possibly but less reliably, try to detect them when they are re-created and move them).

Maybe the program you are using is trying to do it automatically? See if it has hotkeys or menu methods of saving and restoring when you say so, instead of automatically. That would be a more certain approach.

Incidentally, there can be problems with window positioning if any of the screen x,y coordinates are negative. That will occur if your main Windows screen is not the top left-most in your Windows screen arrangement. I've found it always best to site the secondary screens to the right and/or below the main active Windows screen. If your arrangement is not like that, try to make it so then see if the program works more reliably.

What is the name of the program, BTW? I've forgotten the one I read about.

Regards

Pete

Thank you for your quick answer.

Well, I've finally suceeded in writting my own save/restore window position software. I'm using the SimConnect SDK to add a menu in FSX to drive this "save/restore" stuff.

It does now a nice job, except that it works only when FS is in windowed mode.

The similar softwares I saw on the web is called "Panel_position" : http://forums1.avsim.net/lofiversion/in63144.html

I still have a problem : from time to time, when switched to full screen FS has the very bad idea to change the display arrangments, and also to crash miserably :-(

For info, my config has 6 screens driven by 3 radeon 5850

BTW, are you aware of a software allowing to precisely match view in adjacents screens ? (the main view is made with 3 monitors in eyefinity mode, with another 2 side monitors)

Thanks,

Frédéric.

Well, I've finally suceeded in writting my own save/restore window position software. I'm using the SimConnect SDK to add a menu in FSX to drive this "save/restore" stuff.

It does now a nice job, except that it works only when FS is in windowed mode.

Multiple Windows is a problem with FSX full screen mode. I think it depends upon the video card too, and maybe driver versions.

The similar softwares I saw on the web is called "Panel_position" : http://forums1.avsim.net/lofiversion/in63144.html

Thanks.

BTW, are you aware of a software allowing to precisely match view in adjacents screens ? (the main view is made with 3 monitors in eyefinity mode, with another 2 side monitors)

Not sure what you mean. Certainly the EZDOK program Ecza has a lot of possibility for careful making and selection of camera views. Is that what you mean?

Regards

Pete

by "match adjacent views", I mean that I have two FS windows on two adjacent monitors. The angle between the two monitors is 45°, and I'm looking for a way to precisely adjust the two views so that the external appears "continuous" accross the monitors.

Frédéric.

by "match adjacent views", I mean that I have two FS windows on two adjacent monitors. The angle between the two monitors is 45°, and I'm looking for a way to precisely adjust the two views so that the external appears "continuous" accross the monitors.

For FS9 you could do that by adjusting parameters in the PANELS.CFG. Each "window" has its own zoom, angles and so on defined. In FSX I think it is pretty much all done by "cameras" now, as defined in CAMERAS.CFG and in other such files. It isn't something I've looked into a lot, but the program I mentioned, Ecza, has a range of facilities for defining many cameras. Worth looking at I think.

Regards

Pete