The simFlight Network Forums

Delay in parameter acquisition from FSX Paused

Hey Pete,

I am trying to acquire real time values from FSX using FSUIPC.

I have noticed there's a delay (a few milliseconds) in acquiring values from FSX paused compared to when it is running. I would like to know if this flaw is inherent to my code or to FSUIPC itself and how it connects and acquires values from FSX paused. I was hoping you could answer that question.

Cheers,

doia

I am trying to acquire real time values from FSX using FSUIPC.

I have noticed there's a delay (a few milliseconds) in acquiring values from FSX paused compared to when it is running. I would like to know if this flaw is inherent to my code or to FSUIPC itself and how it connects and acquires values from FSX paused. I was hoping you could answer that question.

Paused or not makes no difference to FSUIPC. It only requests values from SimConnect once and relies on SimConnect to deliver them when they change. Possibly FSX doesn't compute some of the values you are reading so often, or at all, when paused.

However, all that would mean is that the values you receive aren't changing so often. The process of calling FSUIPC (which is via a type of "SendMessage" call) is independent of whether FS is paused or not -- FSUIPC will process the message when it receives it and return the data to you in exactly the same way no matter what state FS is in -- there's nothing in FSUIPC which cares at all whether it is paused or not.

If you don't really mean "paused" but busy, as in reloading a flight or within a menu or dialogue, then that is more understandable. FS's Messages aren't being processed when it is 100% occupied doing other things, and the menus and dialogues are mostly modal. Another time when FS probably slows things down is when minimised. At least that was true with FS9, not so sure about FSX.

Regards

Pete