The simFlight Network Forums

Jet Engine Start question

Hi Pete....I have a question I was hoping you might be able to shed some light on. I have a C# program I have written and I'm trying to start the engines on a default 737 in FSX.

I've had very unreliable results and I'm not sure I'm doing the right things.

I begin by starting the fuel pumps at :

Offset EngineFuelPumps = new Offset(0x3125,1). This works fine without any issues.

I then fire off the Starter at :

Offset Engine1Starter = new Offset("Engine1Info",0x0892). This also works fine without any issues.

I then wait for N2 to get above ~20% at:

Offset Engine1N2 = new Offset("Engine1Info", 0x0896). No issues here either

Once I'm at or above 20% N2, I fire off the Fuel valve:

Offset Engine1MixtureLever = new Offset("Engine1Info", 0x0890). This is where the issues are. The results are not repeatable. Sometimes the engine starts other times not. I know the Offset value is being fired as I see it using Fsinterrogate2. Sometimes the engine goes....much of the time not.

Only other thing I might add is that this routine is being done in a C# worker thread. Not sure if that has any effect.

Do you have any suggestions. I've never had issues before using FSUIPC and the SDK before. I must be missing something.

I then fire off the Starter at :

Offset Engine1Starter = new Offset("Engine1Info",0x0892). This also works fine without any issues.

I've no idea what that code is doing. I know offset 0892, but are you writing something to it, and ifso, what?

Once I'm at or above 20% N2, I fire off the Fuel valve:

In practice I find FSX works better if you move the starter lever to "idle" before 20% -- try 18%. It should really be 25% but I think their model is incorrect in this regard.

Offset Engine1MixtureLever = new Offset("Engine1Info", 0x0890). This is where the issues are. The results are not repeatable. Sometimes the engine starts other times not. I know the Offset value is being fired as I see it using Fsinterrogate2. Sometimes the engine goes....much of the time not.

What do you mean by an "offset value being fired"? What does the string "Engine1Info" mean (i.e what part does it play), and what are you writing, if you are writing anything?

Only other thing I might add is that this routine is being done in a C# worker thread. Not sure if that has any effect.

Sorry, I've no idea what that means.

Do you have any suggestions. I've never had issues before using FSUIPC and the SDK before. I must be missing something.

Why not test things using FSInterrogate, or even try writing a short Lua script which would be even easier?

I'm not really able to help debug C# as I don't know it at all, and in your extracts above I cannot even tell what you are doing. Sorry.

Regards

Pete