The simFlight Network Forums

View Direction (3126) for multiple windows?

Hi everyone,

I was able to change the view direction of the active view window via the offset 3126 successfully.

But when I use multiple view windows, only the active window gets changed (the one with a white frame). Is it possible to select a window via FSUIPC, and change that view direction? Or can I specify WHICH window's view direction should be set?

The background is that I am using a 3 beamer setup and would like to be able to switch the eye reference point at runtime. I configured the different view_*_eye and view_*_dir (e.g. *="forward") to create a setup with a centered ERP, one with an ERP for the left seat, and one for the right seat. So all in all 9 customized views (3 windows for each ERP setup).

Is this possible?

But when I use multiple view windows, only the active window gets changed (the one with a white frame).

Yes, of course.

Is it possible to select a window via FSUIPC, and change that view direction? Or can I specify WHICH window's view direction should be set?

I don't know, but probably neither. The window to be affected by normal controls is always the one with focus. There are quite a lot of FX controls named "VIEW ..." and I don't know what they all do, so you could experiment with those. If you need to use FSUIPC offsets, any FS control can be sent via offset 3110.

The background is that I am using a 3 beamer setup and would like to be able to switch the eye reference point at runtime. I configured the different view_*_eye and view_*_dir (e.g. *="forward") to create a setup with a centered ERP, one with an ERP for the left seat, and one for the right seat. So all in all 9 customized views (3 windows for each ERP setup).

Is this with FSX (you don't mention which sim). Have you experimented with Cameras?

Is this possible?

I really don't know, but if it is it will be via cameras and/or FS controls. You'd need to experiment I'm afraid.

Wouldn't the best bet be to use a Matrox TripleHead device to make all three views part of the one very wide forward view? Or are you striving for such a wide view that the side distortion is too great?

Regards

Pete

Thank you so much for your quick reply!

There are quite a lot of FX controls named "VIEW ..." and I don't know what they all do, so you could experiment with those. If you need to use FSUIPC offsets, any FS control can be sent via offset 3110.

That is a great hint! The Controls NEXT_VIEW=65827 and PREV_VIEW=65828 do the job. If I rely on the main windows (view 0) being focused at start, then I can cycle through them and set their view mode, all with FSUIPC :-)

Now, another question is: Can I pass multiple FS controls within a single FSUIPC_Process? Like:

Pseudo-Code:
Write(VIEW_MODE=0)   (for view 0)
Write(NEXT_VIEW)
Write(VIEW_MODE=1)   (for view 1)
Write(NEXT_VIEW)
Write(VIEW_MODE=2)   (for view 2)
Write(NEXT_VIEW)
Process

Or do I have to do separate Process-Calls?

I also heard of FSUIPC's scripting capability, but I didn't use it so far. Would a macro or Lua script do the job? I have seen that there is an option to call such a script via FSUIPC...

Is this with FSX (you don't mention which sim). Have you experimented with Cameras?

I am most of the time using FS2004, but I am also using FSX sometimes. I am striving compatibility between those two. So FSX-only facilities are not really an option.

Wouldn't the best bet be to use a Matrox TripleHead device to make all three views part of the one very wide forward view?

Would be an idea, but as I already have three NVidia GTX 260 cards in my machine I would rather use all of them. I don't know where the FOV limits are, but I am planning to cover 160°.

Can I pass multiple FS controls within a single FSUIPC_Process?

Yes, of course. Each is processed as it is seen in the data structure transferred.

I also heard of FSUIPC's scripting capability, but I didn't use it so far. Would a macro or Lua script do the job? I have seen that there is an option to call such a script via FSUIPC...

You could do it that way if you wished.

Would be an idea, but as I already have three NVidia GTX 260 cards in my machine

Phew! Isn't that somewhat of a performance problem, with three drivers and three data transfers all via the same bus? Maybe with FS2004 you have enough leeway with modern hardware, but have you yet tried that with FSX?

I would rather use all of them. I don't know where the FOV limits are, but I am planning to cover 160°.

160 degrees in one wide view would certainly give serious non-verticals at the edges.

Regards

Pete

OK, thank you very much for this enlightening dialog :-) I will solve my problem then with multiple writing of FS controls and a single Process call. I will also dig deeper into scripting and Lua, maybe this would simplify my task.

So far, the machine is running pretty well with FS2004 and satisfactorily with FSX. We are still playing with SLI settings and other tweaks, but your hint towards the bus problem will definitely be a point of research.

Thank you so much, as always I am very pleased with your support :-)

Greetings from Bremen,

Florian