The simFlight Network Forums

F-18/A MFD key/button map

I am experimenting with the default (Accelleration) F-18 MFD in a home cockpit project.

Is there a way I can trigger det line select buttons from a HID, by accessing the vc button definitions.

I have checked the model file and found these parameters for the three MFD's 1-20 buttons:

(L:ddi_l_btn_01,number) 50

(L:ddi_c_btn_01,number) 50

(L:ddi_r_btn_01,number) 50

I have logged events in FSUIPC, but all I got is this type of information.

142070 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 69900 (0x0001110c), Param= 0 (0x00000000)

144972 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 69907 (0x00011113), Param= 0 (0x00000000)

If possible at all, can someone point me in the right direction so I can map this is FSUIPC.

Thank you!

Rotorhub66

I have checked the model file and found these parameters for the three MFD's 1-20 buttons:

(L:ddi_l_btn_01,number) 50

(L:ddi_c_btn_01,number) 50

(L:ddi_r_btn_01,number) 50

You could try writing to those L:vars using a Lua plug-in. You can find out how L:vars behave by using the facility to Log L:Vars in FSUIPC -- there's an added control for that function. Or use the supplied Lua plug-in for a real-time on-screen log.

I have logged events in FSUIPC, but all I got is this type of information.

142070 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 69900 (0x0001110c), Param= 0 (0x00000000)

144972 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 69907 (0x00011113), Param= 0 (0x00000000)

69900 and 69907 are way beyond the assigned FS control numbers, so they are presumably added by the aircraft designer. To use those in FSUIPC assignments you'd need to assign your button or keypress to "Offset Dword Set" with the offset set to x3110 and the parameter set to 69900 or 69907 (same as x1110c or x11113).

Regards

Pete

I got the Lvars to trigger the VC button, but nothing happens in the MFD. I found an example of this approach here; http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie55&t=19524

I sees to work for him.

Do I need to pass on some other information in the MACROS file.

Here is the testfile for the left MFD:

[MACROS]

1=L:ddi_l_btn_00=SET

2=L:ddi_l_btn_01=SET

3=L:ddi_l_btn_02=SET

4=L:ddi_l_btn_03=SET

5=L:ddi_l_btn_04=SET

6=L:ddi_l_btn_05=SET

7=L:ddi_l_btn_06=SET

8=L:ddi_l_btn_07=SET

9=L:ddi_l_btn_08=SET

10=L:ddi_l_btn_09=SET

11=L:ddi_l_btn_10=SET

12=L:ddi_l_btn_11=SET

13=L:ddi_l_btn_12=SET (This is the menu button which triggers in VC)

14=L:ddi_l_btn_13=SET

15=L:ddi_l_btn_14=SET

16=L:ddi_l_btn_15=SET

17=L:ddi_l_btn_16=SET

18=L:ddi_l_btn_17=SET

19=L:ddi_l_btn_18=SET

20=L:ddi_l_btn_19=SET

Anyone with an idea or example?

Rotohub66

I got the Lvars to trigger the VC button, but nothing happens in the MFD.

Do I need to pass on some other information in the MACROS file.

The "SET" word in the Macro implies that you will pass a parameter in the assignment you make. Both the Keys and Button assignments pages in FSUIPC options have "parameter" fileds. You put the value to be "set" there.. I think in the reference you quoted the parameter needed was "1" or "0" (1= TRUE or ON, 0= FALSE or OFF). Some L:Vars might need other values -- this is why you might want to use the Logging facility first, so you can see what values you need to Set.

Rehards

Pete

I have learned a lot today, and discoverd how powerful FSUIPC really is. I have mostly used for default axis and button assignments. I used the macro file with VASfmc, and was very pleased with that.

The Lvar extraction did read 1 and 0, but it did not work. I set the parameter as you described. The only visible response was the VC gauge animation (button) in/out. However the OFFSET DWORD worked like a charm. I also found som LUA examples that I might try out.

I have ordered some Thrustmaster MFD's today based on my initial testing. I will make a 2D panel for my project, and create a nice LCD overlay for the MFD''s.

Regards

rotorhub66

The Lvar extraction did read 1 and 0, but it did not work. I set the parameter as you described. The only visible response was the VC gauge animation (button) in/out.

Okay, that does happen -- seems the Gauge writer is only using the L:Var as a graphics flag not as the actual system status flag.

Regards

Pete