The simFlight Network Forums

Wrong Heading

Hi:

I just purchased WideFS and am very happy with it. Just two questions:

I find that the heading indicator in both FlighDeckSoft's freeware GA panel and PEIX's GA panel is off by 2.5 degrees from that indicated in FSX. Is there any way to fix this?

Is there a value that controls update rates?

Many thanks

I find that the heading indicator in both FlighDeckSoft's freeware GA panel and PEIX's GA panel is off by 2.5 degrees from that indicated in FSX. Is there any way to fix this?

If it is incorrect it will be an error in those programs. Where are you when seeing this 2.5 degree difference? Are you sure it isn't the magnetic variation? Possibly you are comparing magnetic heading with true heading? Try at Seattle (KSEA). The variation there is about 20 degrees. See if the difference matches.

Is there a value that controls update rates?

FS frame rates limit update rates. I don't know about the programs you are using -- their update rate is up to them -- but the WideFS data rate should approximate the FS frame rate, within reason. I run 7 client PCs on my FSX system and they all have a WideClient data rate just below the FS frame rate. You can check performance of WideFS by stats written to the WideServer and WideClient logs when the programs are closed.

Regards

Pete

Sorry Pete, I believe the difference was 25 not 2.5, and that was around Sea-Tac, so I believe you are correct. The difference shows up in the heading indicator of:

http://www.flightdecksoft.com/software/indicators

and

http://www.peixsoft.com/index.php?page=ga-panel

But not of:

http://www.flightdecksoft.com/software/jet45

Is there anything I can do from the FSUIPC or WIDEFS side?

Thanks

Is there anything I can do from the FSUIPC or WIDEFS side?

What, to make a program display magnetic instead of true heading? No, not really. There is a fiddle available to "spoof" values (make them read differently, mainly to emulate equipment failures), but that would make everything reading the value incorrect.

Assuming the program was intending to show magnetic but instead it is showing true, then it is an out-and-out programming error. However, maybe it is deliberate? Maybe it is an option someplace in the program? I find it hard to believe that anyone would make such an obvious error and not notice it, even if they only flew in the UK where the Mag Var is quite low -- it is still noticeable.

Regards

Pete

Thanks. I'll fiddle with the program. Maybe I can force FSX to show true.

Why would you want that? You'd have to make adjustments for navigation, for runway and ILS headings, etc. I was talking about options in those otherwise apparently buggy programs you are using.

Pete