The simFlight Network Forums

Just a pair of generally Questions

Hello, Pete,

first congratulations for your project FSUIPC. For the first time, I have questions because I am working on a program for the FSX. The Idea is to share the cockpit with another pilot and to bulid a server for this function. We are working in a forum for beginners and we are looking for a platform to share the cockpit and the instruments in the first time for the standard fsx airplanes. The option to make this via Gamespy is not acceptable for us, because of many problems with the connection and the response times.

So the idea was born to build an own server like fshost or so to do this.

Now my questions to you:

Is there any chance to couple to fsx computers via the FSUIPC and a extenal server? My Idea is there to read the parameters via FSUIPC on one Computer, serialize the datastream to a server wich is reachable via the Internet, and routing the datastream to another machine, connected to this server, deserialize the datastream and write the parameters via FSUIPC to this machine.

Do you think, that this procedure is successful?

I did not found any software with this functionality, except the connection via Gamespy.

The communication between FSUIPC and WideFS works fine here in my local network. For this scenario it is required to make connections on tcp/udp ports. Which tcp/udp ports are in use in this scenario?

I hope you can give me a hint how we can realize such a project.

Best regards

Holger

... we are looking for a platform to share the cockpit and the instruments in the first time for the standard fsx airplanes. The option to make this via Gamespy is not acceptable for us, because of many problems with the connection and the response times.

Is GameSpy the system supported by FSX natively? I know FSX is supposed to support multiple-user cockpits, but I know almost nothing about it. I always thought it was really designed for use in a local network rather than via remote connections.

So the idea was born to build an own server like fshost or so to do this.

Again, I don't know fshost at all so I can't really comment.

Now my questions to you:

Is there any chance to couple to fsx computers via the FSUIPC and a extenal server? My Idea is there to read the parameters via FSUIPC on one Computer, serialize the datastream to a server wich is reachable via the Internet, and routing the datastream to another machine, connected to this server, deserialize the datastream and write the parameters via FSUIPC to this machine.

Do you think, that this procedure is successful?

Well, you could do that, but I wouldn't like to think what the latency would do to a pilot trying to control the aircraft. If the remote copy is merely acting a co-pilot, checking systems, switching radios etc, then I don't see why there'd be any problems.

I did not found any software with this functionality, except the connection via Gamespy.

I do supply a pair of Lua plug-in programs with FS, demonstrating the ability of the Sockets facilities in the Lua interpreter to have one copy of FS slaved to another, over a Network. Doing that over the internet, possibly with a Server program intervening, shouldn't be so difficult. You need to add a lot more data of course if the instrumentation is to match correctly too, and maybe to make it work both ways.

The Lua method was done as a test, a demo, and isn't that efficient for a production program, being interpreted. But it allows easy prototyping.

The communication between FSUIPC and WideFS works fine here in my local network. For this scenario it is required to make connections on tcp/udp ports. Which tcp/udp ports are in use in this scenario?

Not sure how WideFS comes into it. That's merely an extension to the FSUIPC interface. Surely you'd be using the FSUIPC interface directly? Or, for FSX only, probably SimConnect which would be more efficient for you again (FSUIPC uses SimConnect). You might even be able to use SimConnect directly over the Internet -- it is TCP after all.

As far as WideFS TCP/UDP ports, they are as defined in the INI file. Only 8002 and 9002 by default. But as I say, I doubt that this is at all relevant.

Regards

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

You can see here the communication between FSUIPC and WideFS works fine in local network. so required to make connections on tcp/udp ports.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Earn an Extra $1000 to $1200 per month doing Part Time Data Entry Jobs! Work from home data entry jobs to post simple data submissions on Internet. Make $1 per entry. Easy form filling, data entry and ad posting jobs. No selling, No phone calls, No Marketing. No Investment. Bi-weekly payments. Full Training Provided. Pls visit: Data-Entry