The simFlight Network Forums

Random Failures

Hi Mr Dowson,

Thanks for a great utility. I notice that FSUIPC4 is able to extend 'battery time'. I wonder sir if it would be possible to have a similar utility to impliment random failures. Perhaps i just dont understand how to set up the native failure system in the sim but for me it is just too predictable plus each time i start the simulator i have to setup failures all over again. Guess I am just lazy but sure wish it would be possible to have failures set like I do the battery utility.

Just my wish. Perhaps this is not possible. There was a utility (not FSUIPC), to do this for FS9 but am yet to see one for FSX.

Robin. :D

I wonder sir if it would be possible to have a similar utility to impliment random failures.

It wouldn't be similar. All the battery extension time facility does is add back a portion of the main battery voltage each time FS deducts any.

Perhaps i just dont understand how to set up the native failure system in the sim but for me it is just too predictable plus each time i start the simulator i have to setup failures all over again. Guess I am just lazy but sure wish it would be possible to have failures set like I do the battery utility.

Just my wish. Perhaps this is not possible.

It would be reasonably easy to implement a utility program to do this, or even write a Lua plug-in program, but I don't feel it is a proper part of what is really an interface program, a box of tools to help connect things and make them work. I'm sure that if it were at all in demand someone would have done one. In fact I think most of the add-on instructor stations you can get have some such facility. And there are those utilities which do other things too, like FSPassengers, which I'm pretty sure has a random failure generator -- quite a sophisticated one I think. http://www.fspassengers.com/

FS FlyingSchool also does similar stuff I think.

There was a utility (not FSUIPC), to do this for FS9 but am yet to see one for FSX.

If it operates through FSUIPC it should function pretty much the same on FSX. I think there are quite a few. Just googling for "FS railures random" I found two pretty quickly, but one was pretty old I admit:

at http://www.hermit.supanet.com/ : FS-FAILURE

FS Utility - Tested on FS2K, should work on any simulator supported by Peter Dowson's FSUIPC (v2.0 or higher). Fixes FS's pre-planned failures by creating random system, radio, engine, and instrument failures based on probability settings. V2.0 2nd September 2001

at http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_infots_id=1395 : Living Sky -- In flight emergencies

Our program, In Flight Emergencies for FSX adds even more to the realism. You can fumble through key sequences to turn on a vacuum, pitot, or brake failures; but how real is that... you know what's coming, and have likely made all the preparations prior to even hitting the key sequence. With In Flight Emergencies you won't know what's coming until it actually happens!

That second one is specifically FSX (using SimConnect).

I really feel this is an APPLICATION not a tool enabler or fix. so I'd prefer to leave it to specific programs like the ones I've mentioned.

Regards

Pete