The simFlight Network Forums

How to set up yoke to 80% of aileron

Hello,

I want to set up my aileron and pitch on my yoke to go to approximately 0 to 50% in stead of 0 to 100%. Let me explain you :

My flight controls are to flexible and I want to make them harder to feel on the yoke. I can't change the aircraft.cfg because the autopilot needs this flexibility so I'll have to change something on my yoke. When I push my yoke fully right for example, my aileron goes from 0 to 100% right, but i want to make it go for example from 0 to 50% when i push fully right.

Is there any way to set this up in fsuipc or fs or windows calibrating ?

Thank you,

Maxime.

When I push my yoke fully right for example, my aileron goes from 0 to 100% right, but i want to make it go for example from 0 to 50% when i push fully right.

Is there any way to set this up in fsuipc or fs or windows calibrating ?

Without resorting to a Lua plug-in for FSUIPC, which could do it, you could try calibrating in FSUIPC as normal, but then editing the numbers in the FSUIPC INI file. You find the lines in the JoystickCalibration section. For example, a default (not truly calibrated) entry would look like this:

Aileron=-16380,-512,512,16380

If you increased the values of the numbers at either end of the range to values that you joystick cannot reach, the range you can achieve in FS will then be correspondingly less. For instance, in theory:

Aileron=-32760,-512,512,32760

would stop them reaching more than 50% deflection. I say "in theory" because I have not tried this and don't recall whether FSUIPC allows values over 16384, which is the theoretical max in FS.

Personally, I think this isn't the correct approach, though. First you might want to try using the "Slopes" option in FSUIPC calibration, after calibrating properly. You can flatten (lessen the response) quite substantially so that you need to move the aileron control say 80% of its travel to reach 50% deflection, just by selecting the flatter slopes. The remaining 20% of the control would then give a faster response in order to achieve 100% deflection, but I don't think that will matter in day to day flying.

Another idea I've seen adopted by many is to put much stronger springs or elastic bands in the mechanism to stiffen it up.

Regards

Pete