The simFlight Network Forums

Help with Axis Noise

Hi Pete,

I have a question, is not FSUIPC related, but you are problably the most qualified person to answer it. My problem is strictly hardware related, nothing to do with FSUIPC, but... you probably have a suggestion for me on how to fix this using FSUIPC.

I have the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke and Throttle quadrant. The yoke axes are VERY stable, If I check them with the windows calibration tool you'll notice noise is non exitent, zero!

However... the throttle quadrant is quite the opposite. The two 'outer' levers and EXTREMELY sensitive, they tend to jump a lot. I noticed FSUIPC has options to control spikes for Rudder, Elevators and Ailerons (I assume the spikes are noise spikes) but I don't see an option to do this for the other axis (such as the one in my throtte quadrant) I've tried everything... Setting them to Direct, reducing the usable range, but this noise is simply very strong!

Is there a way to reduce this with FSUIPC? I'm looking for a setting to apply the 'reduce spikes' option to an individual axis but I'm not sure this exists.

Thanks and enjoy the holidays!

However... the throttle quadrant is quite the opposite. The two 'outer' levers and EXTREMELY sensitive, they tend to jump a lot.

Sounds like they are faulty. Are they reasonably new -- you should get them fixed.

I noticed FSUIPC has options to control spikes for Rudder, Elevators and Ailerons (I assume the spikes are noise spikes)

The spikes were very definite one-off maximum deflections, one way or the other, and caused by something specific as far as I recall.

but I don't see an option to do this for the other axis (such as the one in my throtte quadrant) I've tried everything.

If they are just jumping then the most FS can do is filter them (the little F button). But mostly jumping about is caused by doupble assignment. make sure they are not being assigned both in FS and FSUIPC.

Regards

Pete

Sounds like they are faulty. Are they reasonably new -- you should get them fixed.

Yes, thats what I suspected, I just tested my brother's saitek throttle quadrant and it works perfectly fine! so it is definitely a hardware problem, thanks Pete, will contact Saitek to see if this is still under warranty.

• 3 months later...

I had exactly the same problem with the Saitek throttles after a year of use: jumping and noisy so that taxiing was almost impossible. Today, I tried Kontakt 60 cleaner and sprayed it through the quadrant openings onto the axles. To my surprise, the spikes were absolutely gone after a one hours wait. Also, the mechanical feeling is much smoother. In Germany, you can buy it from Conrad Electronics. For others, here is the manufacturers product link:

Kontakt 60 Cleaner Spray

Cheers,

Michael