The simFlight Network Forums

Adobe Air and FSUIPC

AIR is a wrapper for content developed with Flash to run on the desktop rather than in a browser. See http://onair.adobe.com/air/

But isn't Flash for playing video files? How does that relate to anything in FS or FSUIPC? I'm obviously missing the point somewhere.

I was hoping maybe Ajax/Java could be used as a bridge to obtain data from FSUIPC

Is Ajax another language? I only know it as a disinfectant or cleaner. ;-)

If you can write programs in Ajax/Java which can use regular windows APIs, then you can write an interface to FSUIPC. But I can't tell you. All the information you need to write applications to interface to FSUIPC is provided in the FSUIPC SDK.

... sort of like Flash uses PHP to communicate with a server.

PHP being yet another language?

Regards

Pete

We internet guys end up using a lot of different programming languages... jack of all trades and master of none curse.

The typical web page these days probably uses 4-10... its a nightmare.

The Flash platform has advanced way beyond cartoon animations and video. Its own programming language, ActionScript (yes, another one), is object-oriented and as robust and powerful as Java or C++ (but we still get no respect!) :rolleyes:

AIR makes it possible to use the same language to program for both internet and desktop.

So I have this idea to make a "Pilots Handbook", that would just compile into one application a lot of procedures and resources you can already find on the internet, like decoding METARs, calculating descent rate, ATC Contact, Aviation alphabet, etc. etc.

It's really not necessary that I get data from FS, it would save time and be handy if say, when calculating descent rate, I could pull the aircrafts current altitude instead of having the pilot enter it manually.

Hey Wait!!! Didn't I see something about FSUIP and Lua while poking around earlier? Take a look at this I just found: http://code.google.com/p/lua-alchemy/wiki/TypeConversions

Danny

So I have this idea to make a "Pilots Handbook", that would just compile into one application a lot of procedures and resources you can already find on the internet, like decoding METARs, calculating descent rate, ATC Contact, Aviation alphabet, etc. etc.

Hmmm. Sounds okay. So what's the real problem?

It's really not necessary that I get data from FS, it would save time and be handy if say, when calculating descent rate, I could pull the aircrafts current altitude instead of having the pilot enter it manually.

So can the programming languages you must use not call anything outside their own world, like Windows APIs, or similar things in a Library? How would they communicate with any other part of the PC without?

Hey Wait!!! Didn't I see something about FSUIP and Lua while poking around earlier? Take a look at this I just found: http://code.google.c...TypeConversions

FSUIPC's Lua facilities are well documented. Why not just download the documentation packages provided -- Lua and the SDK? And sorry, but i don't understand much if any of that reference.

Regards

Pete

• 5 months later...