The simFlight Network Forums

Calibration issues

Hello Gents

I just purchased the registered version of FSUIPC and I'm trying to calibrate my CH throttle quadrant. The problem is, the accuracy of FSUIPC to the movements of the levers isn't very accurate--it doesn't seem to be sensing them with much precision.

After much time spent on this, I was beginning to think the throttle quadrant was going bad, that I had some null zones in some of the levers, but when I use the default CH calibration tool, it shows that each lever is working and moving (and being recognized) just as it should be. In other words, the CH calibration tool shows an even, accurate, gradual movement of the levers whereas FSUIPC only registers part of the movement, with sections in which no movement is detected.

Is there some way to increase the "sensitivity" of the FSUIPC calibration system? Is here something I'm missing in the process? It seems to register the top and bottom of the range of each lever accurately but in between, the accuracy is very poor and only a portion of the range is being read.

I just purchased the registered version of FSUIPC and I'm trying to calibrate my CH throttle quadrant. The problem is, the accuracy of FSUIPC to the movements of the levers isn't very accurate--it doesn't seem to be sensing them with much precision.

What version of FSUIPC, FSX? What method of assignment -- FS or FSUIPC?

I can't help without information. Sorry.

Pete

What version of FSUIPC, FSX? What method of assignment -- FS or FSUIPC?

I can't help without information. Sorry.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanked for helping me with this. I've heard that FSUIPC is a must have and in some cases, the only way to make some things work.

Anyway, I'm using FSX and the most recent version of FSUIPC4, trying to use the FSUIPC interface to calibrate the axis' and assignments.

Anyway, I'm using FSX and the most recent version of FSUIPC4

What IS the version number of FSUIPC4, please? Saying the "latest" doesn't help. Folks have said that and been using a year old version. The version number is easy enough to find -- it is on screen, in the Options main page, it is written in the Logs, and it is found in the Properties of the DLL itself. The latest official release and the earliest supported is 4.60a. The current true latest, available here in the download links subforum, is 4.645.

trying to use the FSUIPC interface to calibrate the axis' and assignments.

I understood you were trying ot use FSUIPC for calibration, which does not necessarily involve using it for assignments too. If you use it for assignments you MUST stop FSX assigning too. Usually the easiest and most reliable way to do that is disabling the joystick completely in FS. But this is mostly done by those wishing to have different assignments for different aircraft.

If you assign in FS, follow the instructions in the FSUIPC for the FS sliders -- sensitivity to max (full right) and null zone to min (full left).

If you assign in FSUIPC you have to decide whether to assign "direct" to FSUIPC, avoiding FS's own controls, or to FS controls. The former is more efficient but will make the axes unworkable for some add-on aircraft.

As for "sensitivity" in FSUIPC assignments, it is scanning axes at 100 times per second compared to nearer 10 for FS. It eliminates trivial changes by way of a "delta" value, settable in the axis assignments tab. The default is fine and set for 128 distinctly discernible points on a fully Windows-calibrated device. You can change it if you have a non-standard device giving higher or lower precision, but it works fine for all known commercial devices provided they are calibrated correctly in the Windows Game Controllers.

If you have areas of no response in the Axes tab then you have something set wrong on your device or their drivers, because the INput value there shows the value coming from the DirectInput part of windows at 100 times per second. If you mean after calibration (the OUT value for the assigned function in the calibration tab) then you have calibrated incorrectly or not at all. Follow the numbered steps in the User Guide.

Regards

Pete

What IS the version number of FSUIPC4, please?

Sorry, I wrote that post in haste. My version is 4.57, 10 January 2010. Downloaded yesterday from SimMarket.

I understood you were trying ot use FSUIPC for calibration, which does not necessarily involve using it for assignments too. If you use it for assignments you MUST stop FSX assigning too. Usually the easiest and most reliable way to do that is disabling the joystick completely in FS. But this is mostly done by those wishing to have different assignments for different aircraft.

I followed the instructions in the FSUIPC guide for CH found in the FAQ section. The first thing I did was to disable the joysticks. After that, I assigned each lever using the FSUIPC interface as throttle1, throttle2, prop1, prop2, mixture1, mixture2 (from left to right). Lastly, I began the calibration process as described in the pfd document.

If you assign in FSUIPC you have to decide whether to assign "direct" to FSUIPC, avoiding FS's own controls, or to FS controls. The former is more efficient but will make the axes unworkable for some add-on aircraft.

I ticked the "assign direct" option within FSUIPC.

As for "sensitivity" in FSUIPC assignments, it is scanning axes at 100 times per second compared to nearer 10 for FS. It eliminates trivial changes by way of a "delta" value, settable in the axis assignments tab. The default is fine and set for 128 distinctly discernible points on a fully Windows-calibrated device. You can change it if you have a non-standard device giving higher or lower precision, but it works fine for all known commercial devices provided they are calibrated correctly in the Windows Game Controllers.

Thank you for that information. That makes me more confident that there is some aspect I'm overlooking between the sim and the controller. I'm optimistic that once I find what it is, I'll be very happy with FSUIPC.

If you have areas of no response in the Axes tab then you have something set wrong on your device or their drivers, because the INput value there shows the value coming from the DirectInput part of windows at 100 times per second. If you mean after calibration (the OUT value for the assigned function in the calibration tab) then you have calibrated incorrectly or not at all. Follow the numbered steps in the User Guide.

Hmm, yes, I suspect that this area is the root of the problem. I am seeing the full range (16383 for in and -16384 for out), although, when I move the levers slowly, I see no change in numbers for the lower range of most of the levers. In other words, as I move the lever back from full forward, I see the numbers change until I reach about the halfway mark. At that point, the numbers remain unchanged.

I know FSUIPC is reading the levers accurately in terms of the overall range but when it gets to setting the calibration for reverse, idle, and max, there seems to be dead spots.

As I said before, my first thought was that the controller was worn out or that there was something wrong with the drivers. But when I use the CH Control manager, I can see that it is reading each lever quite accurately.

Sorry, I wrote that post in haste. My version is 4.57, 10 January 2010. Downloaded yesterday from SimMarket.

SimMarket don't supply the program, only the Registration keys. And version 4.57 is too old and not supported. As said, the oldest supported version is 4.60a. Please update first. And I'd like to know where you recently got 4.57 from as it isn't on any official sites!

Hmm, yes, I suspect that this area is the root of the problem. I am seeing the full range (16383 for in and -16384 for out), although, when I move the levers slowly, I see no change in numbers for the lower range of most of the levers. In other words, as I move the lever back from full forward, I see the numbers change until I reach about the halfway mark. At that point, the numbers remain unchanged.

On the assignments page or the Calibration page? If the IN values don't change it is something in the way your joystick driver is set or its calibration software. If it is only the OUT value, in calibration, it is your calibration in error.

Please get reasonably up to date with FSUIPC before continuing.

Pete

SimMarket don't supply the program, only the Registration keys. And version 4.57 is too old and not supported. As said, the oldest supported version is 4.60a. Please update first. And I'd like to know where you recently got 4.57 from as it isn't on any official sites!

On the assignments page or the Calibration page? If the IN values don't change it is something in the way your joystick driver is set or its calibration software. If it is only the OUT value, in calibration, it is your calibration in error.

Please get reasonably up to date with FSUIPC before continuing.

Pete

Okay, I'm not sure where I downloaded the FSUPIC4 from (I thought it was from the main page on your website) but perhaps it just didn't overwrite my old version. So I suspect the version 4.57 I said I had was my old one and not the newest download. In any event, I downloaded again, installed again, and redid all the assignment and calibration processes.

I was able to get a reasonable success on most of my planes by calibrating throttle 1 and ticking the "map 1->234 as req" box for throttle 2. But my guess is that that option simply copies the 1st throttle setting(?)

So now, the throttles in the sim move in ways that correspond correctly with the movements of the levers on the CH throttle (except for my Citation X, but that seems to be another issue).

But I still suspect something's not quite right. When I go to the calibrate joystick tab and click SET (below throttle 2), I see the values change in the IN and OUT boxes until the lever reaches about the midpoint at which the values in those boxes don't change. I checked to see if the values change in the CH control manager and they do, even for the small amount of travel between detent and full reverse.

One basic question: Do I tick the box above filter (and below direct)?

Okay, I'm not sure where I downloaded the FSUPIC4 from (I thought it was from the main page on your website)

I don't actually have a website, only this Forum. Enrico Schiratti kindly hosts my main release files. His "dowson" page contains 4.60a at present.

... but perhaps it just didn't overwrite my old version.

The installer always overwrites old versions with new ones, just not the other way round.

I was able to get a reasonable success on most of my planes by calibrating throttle 1 and ticking the "map 1->234 as req" box for throttle 2. But my guess is that that option simply copies the 1st throttle setting(?)

Yes, of course. That's what it is for. However, you could equally just assign to the default generic throttle instead of throttle1, saving copying the same axis to all 4 inputs.

But I still suspect something's not quite right. When I go to the calibrate joystick tab and click SET (below throttle 2), I see the values change in the IN and OUT boxes until the lever reaches about the midpoint at which the values in those boxes don't change. I checked to see if the values change in the CH control manager and they do, even for the small amount of travel between detent and full reverse.

If you assign to individual throttle calibration in FSUIPC, by default it provides reverse thrust for a portion of the travel -- that portion is the part you calibrate between the "minimum" set button and the two "centre" or "idle" set buttons. The documentation explains all this.

If you don't want reverse controlled that way you need to check the "NRZ" ("no reverse zone") checkbox.

All this is covered in the documentation. It certainly seems you are not referring to it? It would be quicker than posting here for questions answered there, honestly.

One basic question: Do I tick the box above filter (and below direct)?

The one labelled "Filter" you mean? That operates the filter. The documentation describes what it does! It's really intended for use in places where the power supply varies so much the joysticks get the jitters. It smooths jitters a bit at the cost of a bit less responsiveness.

Pete

Edit: I just realized that by ticking the Map 1->234 as req box, it duplicates the settings for lever 1 but won't allow you to make seperate adjustments later on (while flying) between the two.

Of course not! It's copying the one throttle input to all engine throttle inputs. How can it know about any differences? It's for use by people with only one throttle lever!

Pete

Sorry about the confusion about the website. I apologize if I've offended you.

As far as documentation goes, there was none that came with the download, except for the installation/registration instructions, nor is there any information to be had within FSUIPC in the sim, hence my questions to you here. However, I googled 'FSUIPC' and found a link to a pdf file that seems to cover FSUIPC's features (although at quick glance, I see a lot of information dedicated to FS2002 and even FS2000 so this may not be the most current document) so I will give it a thorough reading before posting anything further.

Sorry about the confusion about the website. I apologize if I've offended you.

No, no offense I assure you. Just trying to sort out the confusion a bit.

As far as documentation goes, there was none that came with the download, except for the installation/registration instructions

There's lots of documentation, and accessories, installed for you, automatically. PLEASE READ AT LEAST A LITTLE OF THE INSTALLATION and REGISTRATION document. Right near the top there's a list of everything you get and where to find it! i.e in the FSUIPC documents folder, in the Modules folder which it creates and installs into. It SAYS this is English. Maybe that's the problem? You don't understand English too well?

:-(

Pete