The simFlight Network Forums

Can one change either the CRS or Heading knobs dual speeds -- fast/slow?

I've searched for an answer to this question and cannot find anything on it (I'm using FS9 with the FeelThere ERJ 145, v.2).

I would like to continue with operating the A/P controls with my mouse rather than purchasing a switch panel like the GoFlight (things could get way too crowded on this "flight desk)."

I am searching for a way to "mouse" the CRS or Heading A/P knobs so that they can either change the heading in small increments (like the standard FS function) OR large increments. When I've flown in real aircraft, I could reach up an change the heading by just a few degrees or quickly spin the knob to make a large change in the heading. However, in the panels I've worked with in the FS world, using the mouse to hold either the right or left side of the knob results in a glacial change in the heading -- OK for small changes, maddening for the large changes.

Is there a way to use FSUPIC to sense a difference in mouse activity on the CRS or Heading knobs -- something like, if the mouse button is held down for more than a certain time, the heading is incremented or decremented in far larger chunks?

An alternate would be to have keyboard presses to emulate a fast turning of these knobs in addition to the standard mouse press on the knob hemispheres. How do we accomplish that?

I'm perfectly fine with the use of the mouse for A/P functions ... it's only the speed of the CRS and heading knobs that are at issue.

Any intelligence on this question

Thanks,

maestrogn

I am searching for a way to "mouse" the CRS or Heading A/P knobs so that they can either change the heading in small increments (like the standard FS function) OR large increments. When I've flown in real aircraft, I could reach up an change the heading by just a few degrees or quickly spin the knob to make a large change in the heading. However, in the panels I've worked with in the FS world, using the mouse to hold either the right or left side of the knob results in a glacial change in the heading -- OK for small changes, maddening for the large changes.

Really? There is something defeating FS's acceleration then, as holding the mouse button down on such a control should cause it to speed up after something near a second. Does it not work okay with default aircraft? If not, I've no answer.

If it only happens with specific add-on aircraft it is likely that they are defeating the acceleration by continually sending loads of FS controls, usually which do nothing but repeat settings already made. The "fix control acceleration" option in FSUIPC should help if that's the case -- please look this up in the FSUIPC User Guide for an explanation. It's in the Miscellaneous section (and Options tab).

Regards

Pete

Pete:

I heard back from the FeelThere crew and they have a programmed solution that is kind of neat.

Page 4 of the manual states:

"The autopilot knobs are adjusted in the following ways:

• with the pointer over the knob the mouse wheel can be used to increase/decrease the

set value

• left of knob center left-mouse-click will increase value by one

• left of knob center right-mouse-click will increase value by ten

• right of center left click will decrease value by one

• right of center right click will decrease value by ten

• mouse wheel /center mouse button click the heading knob and the heading bug is set

to the aircraft's current direction of flight.

• mouse wheel /center mouse button click the speed knob to toggle between knots and

Mach values being used for the speed bug."

Apparently, FeelThere has been doing this for years. It certainly solves my "problem."

Sorry to bother you when it was right under my nose (mouse).

All best wishes.

Garyth