The simFlight Network Forums

USB Problems

This post is not presenting an issue with FSUIPC however since this forum is all about interfacing equipment, I thought the best expertise will exist here.

I have 11 USB devices (GoFlight, Saitek) and almost with fail, one, two or more devices are not recognized by FSX when started. The devices not recognized vary if I restart FSX over and over. I will unplug the USB cable from one of the devices not recognized and I will receive the system tone/beep that you would expect and the same when plugging back in. So it seems the OS is recognizing the devices. Even though the system recognizes the USB devices (I receive a driver install window) when unplugging and plugging back in, FSX still does not see the device. It seems entirely hit and miss as the current remedy is to reboot and hope for the best.

Concerning my USB connectivity, I have 10 USB ports direct to my motherboard without the need of a USB hub, however because of power concerns, I have two powered D-Link USB hubs with limited connections to be sure I do not exceed the max power of the devices power block.

Looking for help to understand why USB devices are not being recognized.

Thanks,

edit: I found a post that recomends checking power management properties. I assume that is in the device manager? Additionally, I will try opening FSUIPC and the axis tab for a rescan. I will appreciate any other recomendations.

Looking for help to understand why USB devices are not being recognized.

edit: I found a post that recomends checking power management properties. I assume that is in the device manager

Yes, find all the USB hubs in the Device Manage, right click and select Properties, and make sure Windows isn't allowed to switch them off to conserve power.

Additionally, I will try opening FSUIPC and the axis tab for a rescan.

If you use FSUIPC for button and axis assignments, then, with so many devices it would be a good idea to use the Joy Letters facilities, where FSUIPC uses letters (A-Z) instead of Windows ID nmubers. Then it matches devices up if they move owing to reconnection.

Regards

Pete

Yes, find all the USB hubs in the Device Manage, right click and select Properties, and make sure Windows isn't allowed to switch them off to conserve power.

If you use FSUIPC for button and axis assignments, then, with so many devices it would be a good idea to use the Joy Letters facilities, where FSUIPC uses letters (A-Z) instead of Windows ID numbers. Then it matches devices up if they move owing to reconnection.

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete as always for your help. I am not sure about the "Joy Letters Facilities". I completed a couple of searches thru the manual and did not see anything.

How do I use Letters? Do I simply enter them?

Thanks Pete as always for your help. I am not sure about the "Joy Letters Facilities". I completed a couple of searches thru the manual and did not see anything.

Try the chapter entitled "Keeping track of multiple control devices". in the user guide. it's listed in the contents list too, as the front nearly.

Pete

Try the chapter entitled "Keeping track of multiple control devices". in the user guide. it's listed in the contents list too, as the front nearly.

Pete

I looked over the chapter. If I change the .ini file to include letters, how are these letters associated to what I see within FSUIPC axis assignemnts? Do they need to be the same or does FSUIPC display those values from the ini file?

I looked over the chapter. If I change the .ini file to include letters, how are these letters associated to what I see within FSUIPC axis assignemnts?

An axis on a joystick assigned letter "A" will show as being on joystick "A". Of course. What else?

Do they need to be the same or does FSUIPC display those values from the ini file?

Sorry, I've no idea what that sentence actually means. What do you find so confusing in the documentation? I don't think I can explain it any better. It uses letters instead of numbers. The letters equate to number by the names and GUIDs from the Registry as listed in the INI. How more specific can it be?

Pete

I found three devices within the joy names section of the .ini file, yoke, throttle and rudders. I initial expected to see the GoFlight equipment.

I assigned the letters and removed the numbered items so as the .ini file looked like your example. I experienced some confusion as the numbered items were put back into the ini file for the yoke. Additionally, I did not find the "AutoAssignLetters" in the Joy names section.

I also found that the power management feature in the USB properties were turned on, probably the source of my problem.

I will come back to this thread if I formulate a better question for you.

Thanks,

I found three devices within the joy names section of the .ini file, yoke, throttle and rudders. I initial expected to see the GoFlight equipment.

No. Apart from their throttle quadrant, the GoFlight modules don't get seen as joysticks at all, just other types of "HID" (Human Interface Devices). In general they should remain fairly constant in assignment as it's done with their own software -- all FSUIPC assignment does is read them via their driver (GFDev.dll).

I assigned the letters and removed the numbered items so as the .ini file looked like your example.

No. The numbered ones tell you and FSUIPC what the current Windows ID numbers are for each device. They are what actually has to be used. You need both numbered and lettered lines in so that FSUIPC can match letters to numbers by matching the names and, if they are ambiguous, the GUIDs.

I don't know how you are misreading the example lines in the document -- it shows the original [JoyNames] section, and then the additional lines when the letters are used. It certainly does not imply those replace the originals -- to start with, where's the [JoyNames] section title in the latter?

I experienced some confusion as the numbered items were put back into the ini file for the yoke. Additionally, I did not find the "AutoAssignLetters" in the Joy names section.

That's because it isn't relevant till you start using the letters.

Regards

Pete