The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC needed?

I am currently using the free/unregistered version of FSUIPC and am wondering whether or not I should buy the registered version.

There seem to be a lot of settings in the registered version to control winds, visibility and clouds. How do these settings co-exist if one already has add-ons like Active Sky Evolution and REX installed? Do they conflict or overlap/duplicate functions?

There are extensive options for keys, buttons, joystick assignments in FSUIPC. Again, what are the advantages of using FSUIPC over the facilities already available in FS9 to assign facilities to keys and joysticks etc? In addition, I have a Cyborg X flightstick which comes with its own key profile assignment/management functions.

The question is: do I need the registered version of FSUIPC given the above?

TIA

I am currently using the free/unregistered version of FSUIPC and am wondering whether or not I should buy the registered version.

Well the best way is to browse the user guide and see if it offers enough to be worth it to you.

There seem to be a lot of settings in the registered version to control winds, visibility and clouds. How do these settings co-exist if one already has add-ons like Active Sky Evolution and REX installed? Do they conflict or overlap/duplicate functions?

For FS9 I think the wind and pressure smoothing in FSUIPC does a good job for any external weather source, complementing the settings in ASE. But ASE is pretty good in its own right. I can't really comment on REX as a weather controller I'm afraid. For FSX the weather filters in FSUIPC4 aren't quite as effective -- FSUIPC4 has to work through SimConnect just like ASE, and in fact they are operating in parallel so the one cannot actually filter the other. In FS9 ASE is controlling through FSUIPC so the filters can work more effectively.

There are extensive options for keys, buttons, joystick assignments in FSUIPC. Again, what are the advantages of using FSUIPC over the facilities already available in FS9 to assign facilities to keys and joysticks etc?

Only that there are more of them -- more options to choose from, more precise calibration, and capabilities like having different assignments, different settings, for different aircraft.

But if you are happy as you are I wouldn't try to force you. FSUIPC is a tool. If you need to use a tool, you use it. If you don't, you don't. I don't see any point in buying a tool just because it's available. You have to decide for yourself what you need.

The question is: do I need the registered version of FSUIPC given the above?

Need? I don't think anyone "needs" such things per se, it all depends what you want to do.

Regards

Pete

Well the best way is to browse the user guide and see if it offers enough to be worth it to you.

<snip>

Regards

Pete

Pete: thanks for the balanced reply. I think I am deducing that, even with ASE (in FS9, which I use), I might see some improvement through more effective filter usage.

I can certainly see the benefits and flexibility of the assignment facilities for buttons, keyboards etc.

I am tending towards paying for the registered version - after all, the price isn't going to break the bank and, since I decided to maximise my FS9 experience (as opposed to shelling out mega bucks for a hot rod PC for FSX), anything which helps that - within reason - will be considered.

Thanks again.