The simFlight Network Forums

Yoke calibration

Hello Pete,

I responded to a post yesterday with the problem I'm having calibrating my hardware (yoke) for starters. I have followed Peter Dowson's check list and everything seems to be going good until I get tot he calibration part. The numbers for my aileron (X axes) are -16384 when I turn it to the left and nothing changes when I turn it to the right. The same occurs when I go into FSX, the aileron moves OK to the left but will not move to the right...hummm...I have checked what I know to see if anything is conflicting with it. In Win 7 everything is working OK from Control panel. Again I followed all on the check list. Right now I have started from scratch and have only the Yoke (have tried both CH and Saitek) and only one the Y & X axes assigned. I'm sure I'm over looking something simple. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

fparker

... everything seems to be going good until I get tot he calibration part. The numbers for my aileron (X axes) are -16384 when I turn it to the left and nothing changes when I turn it to the right.

Er ... the way FS is set up, the Minimum value, -16384, refers to full ailerons RIGHT, not LEFT! The full left value is +16384. It sounds like you've set the maximum value as the minimum, so cannot get any other result!

Before pressing buttons you need to observe what you are doing. "Minimum" does NOT mean "LEFT", just because following western conventions we read left-to-right. "Minimum" for a number means "lowest", and negative values are considered lower than positive ones.

If this is not the problem you have (though it seems the most likely), then some extra information is needed:

What version of FSUIPC?

What have you done before "the calibration part"? If you assigned in FS there's nothing before calibration to do in FSUIPC. If instead you assigned in FSUIPC, what method did you use, what control to you assign to (by name)?

Where in the calibration part are you seeing -16384 and nothing changing? You imply that some other value is showing before you "turn it to the left", but what, and where is the aileron lever then.

The same occurs when I go into FSX, the aileron moves OK to the left but will not move to the right.

If it is stuck on the left how do you see it moving to the left? It has to be right-of-left first in order to go left.

Is that with FSUIPC calibration enabled or disabled, with FS assignment or FSUIPC assignment?

Remember, I cannot see your system from here and I've no idea what you've done nor what you are seeing. I don't even know if you are talking about FS9, FSX (or even FS98, come to that).

Regards

Pete

Hello Pete,

Sorry that I not up to speed yet to proper posting etc., but I'll get there (smile). Thanks for helping to get me in line. OK let me try to explain this situation again: The 1st thing I did after removing all the axes assignments from FSX mouse and Yoke, and Flight yoke via FSX setting control was to deselect from the calibration window "Enable controllers". I then rebooted Win7 and restarted FSX to make sure the changes remained. They did. I then checked in Win7 control panel to make sure the yoke showed movement in the X and Y axis, they did. I then started FSX and double checked that the enabled controllers were still deselected and that all the axis were still deleted for the mose and joystick. I then started a flight and had a cessna 172 sitting at an airport. I then brought up FSUIPC4 ver 4.60a, clicked ases assignment and clicked Rescan: I then moved the aileron to the right (nothing happened) I then moved it to the left and joy 0, X acis#, delta 256, in=-16384, out= -16384 populated. I then selected Send directly to FSUIPC calibration. I checked the top box below it and selected Aileron from the drop down menu. I then selected the joystick calibration menu

1 of 11, Aileron(direct), items populated were: min= -16383, centre = -16383, max= -16383, in=-16384, out= -16383. I then pushed Reset and then set = -16380, centre=-512, max =16380, in =-16384, out=-16383. T then pushed Reset and then set= min=-16380, centre = -512, max= -16380, in=-1684, out = -16383. I then turned the yoke left, in=-16384, out =16384. I then turned the yoke left again and released it and then click min set. Min = -16384. Then I turn it right and released it and clicked set max and the numbers were = -16384, centre =-16384 after I clicked reset for it.

If I try to hold the aileron to the left and click min I get an error sound when I click reset min, but if I hold it to the right I get no error sound when I click set max even though the numbers don't change.

I then click OK to go back into FSX. The yoke is centered and moves left OK from center, and when I release it, goes back to center, when I turn the yoke to the right nothing happens.

I then checked my FSUIPC4.ini file in the modules folder and towards the bottom: aileron = -16384, -16384, -16384, -16384

[Axis]

0=0x, 256,0,1,0,0,0.

No other entries were list for axises.

So I hope this explanation helps in explaining where I'm stuck. I thought I understood how to use the sodtware from the manual, but I'm missing something somewhere...

Thanks in advance for your help,

fparker

Er ... the way FS is set up, the Minimum value, -16384, refers to full ailerons RIGHT, not LEFT! The full left value is +16384. It sounds like you've set the maximum value as the minimum, so cannot get any other result!

Before pressing buttons you need to observe what you are doing. "Minimum" does NOT mean "LEFT", just because following western conventions we read left-to-right. "Minimum" for a number means "lowest", and negative values are considered lower than positive ones.

If this is not the problem you have (though it seems the most likely), then some extra information is needed:

What version of FSUIPC?

What have you done before "the calibration part"? If you assigned in FS there's nothing before calibration to do in FSUIPC. If instead you assigned in FSUIPC, what method did you use, what control to you assign to (by name)?

Where in the calibration part are you seeing -16384 and nothing changing? You imply that some other value is showing before you "turn it to the left", but what, and where is the aileron lever then.

If it is stuck on the left how do you see it moving to the left? It has to be right-of-left first in order to go left.

Is that with FSUIPC calibration enabled or disabled, with FS assignment or FSUIPC assignment?

Remember, I cannot see your system from here and I've no idea what you've done nor what you are seeing. I don't even know if you are talking about FS9, FSX (or even FS98, come to that).

Regards

Pete

I then brought up FSUIPC4 ver 4.60a, clicked ases assignment and clicked Rescan: I then moved the aileron to the right (nothing happened)

There's something seriously wrong with your hardware if nothing happens when you move the lever to the right and left -- obviously both ways should produce input values. are you sure it wouldn't have been the same moving it to the left first instead? The first few values received are normally discarded to remove spurious rubbish when things are first connected or re-connected. You just need to waggle things a little, that's all.

"I then moved it to the left and joy 0, X acis#, delta 256, in=-16384, out= -16384"

Er ... your joystick is sending NEGATIVE values for left-hand movement? That is unusual. If that is true you'll need to reverse them for use in FSX as it uses negative for right.

"I then selected Send directly to FSUIPC calibration."

Is this just for efficiency, or do you have a specific reason for using the direct option instead of the default?

"I checked the top box below it and selected Aileron from the drop down menu. I then selected the joystick calibration menu

1 of 11, Aileron(direct), items populated were: min= -16383, centre = -16383, max= -16383, in=-16384, out= -16383. I then pushed Reset and then set = -16380, centre=-512, max =16380, in =-16384, out=-16383."

All this time you were holding the aileron hard left, to keep the value at -16384? Why?

BTW there are two 'centre' values, not one, to give a dead range around the spring-loaded central position..

... then pushed Reset and then set= min=-16380, centre = -512, max= -16380, in=-1684, out = -16383.

Now here it goes wrong. If you pressed "Reset" just before, that left-hand button would have changed to "Set", because now the axis is not being calibrated.

I then turned the yoke left, in=-16384, out =16384. I then turned the yoke left again and released it and then click min set. Min = -16384.

Er, sorry, that makes no sense. You had the yoke held full left, and then you turned it left *(?) and the OUT changed from -16384 to +16384? That makes no sense. And then, although it was still held left, you turned it left again?

On this:

I then turned the yoke left again and released it and then click min set.

When you released it, it stayed stuck full left? If it re-centred you should certainly not then press "min set"!!!

Then I turn it right and released it and clicked set max and the numbers were = -16384

Here again, you release it and THEN press a button?

Sorry, you seem to have this completely wrong. You are supposed to be calibrating the positions on your yoke. Pulling it one way then the other and releasing it back to centre does nothing useful except test the spring and the centre position.

Additionally, if your aileron control appears to be reversed you need to select "REV" BEFORE starting to calibrate, else it will be all wrong.

If I try to hold the aileron to the left and click min I get an error sound

The sounds correct for a normal aileron input, because left SHOULD give a large POSITIVE number, like 16383, NOT -16383, and FSUIPC does not allow you to set the minimum larger than all the other values!

when I click reset min, but if I hold it to the right I get no error sound when I click set max even though the numbers don't change.

That also sounds correct, because you have it all the wrong way around.

Are you sure you haven't got the screen so small you cannot see the - signs correctly, or you think you see them where they are not? That's the only way I can think of explaining it. What you appear to be trying to do is calibrate the ailerons the wrong way round. Left and Right mixed up!

I then checked my FSUIPC4.ini file in the modules folder and towards the bottom: aileron = -16384, -16384, -16384, -16384

I'm not surprised. You set -16384 as maximum, so NONE of the other values can ever be higher than that!

If I were you I'd delete the INI file entries, as they seem to be confusing you, and start again. This time remember that the NUMBERS must increase from left to right. Also remember that the left and right of the aileron are nothing to do with the left and right on screen, because Microsoft in their wisdom decreed that negative means right.

Pete