The simFlight Network Forums

Problem with Offset 333C

Hey Guys

I want to check if Wide FS has a connection or not. I tried using offset 333C

WideFS flags: those used so far are:

2^0 1 =if TCP is being used, 0 if SPX

2^1 1 if connected at all, 0 is waiting for connections

See offset 3322 for WideFS version number, which also confirms that WideServer is registered and running.

It works fine the first time, when WideFS is open and connected it shows "3" which is ok, but when I stop the connection (by plugging out the LAN Cable) its still "3" even though the WideFS Titel Bar shows "waiting for a connection"

Any one an idea?

Or is there a better way to check the WideFS status?

Thought about reading the Title bar of the Wide FS window, but that wouldn't be nice ;-)

PS: Maybe a Moderator can add something like "Check FS Status" to the Topic Title, forgot that, sorry!

Edited by BlueLiquidCell

It works fine the first time, when WideFS is open and connected it shows "3" which is ok, but when I stop the connection (by plugging out the LAN Cable) its still "3" even though the WideFS Titel Bar shows "waiting for a connection"

The problem is that it's a WideServer setting, not a WideClient one -- "connected" means WideServer is connected to something. When the connection dies, WideClient no longer receives an update for it.

I'd never thought of making WideClient change it -- normally ALL of the data maintained in the WideClient memory is the "property" of the Server, and the client never fiddles with it. I think I'll make an exception for that byte, though.

Meanwhile the method i normally use to to check that the timer in offset 3374 is changing. If it doesn't change for more than a second or several, assume no connection or FS has stopped.

Regards

Pete

• Upvote 1

Hey Pete

Thanks for the answer! Would be great if you could change that byte in the future! That way users could find out if there is no connection or FS has stopped (meaning they could find out witch of those)

I'm using Offset 337E right now to check, couldn't find a big difference between that and 3374. If there is please let me know.

Meanwhile I wrote some code to read out the Title Bar of WideFS and to check for the connection. If anyone interested in that let me know and I'll post that.

Chris

I'm using Offset 337E right now to check, couldn't find a big difference between that and 3374. If there is please let me know.

No, 337E is just as good (and I see I actually documented it for such use).

I'll update WideClient later this week, or maybe next. I'm rebuilding the contents of my main development PC at present after a disk crash which occurred just before I went on holiday!

Regards

Pete

I'll update WideClient later this week, or maybe next. I'm rebuilding the contents of my main development PC at present after a disk crash which occurred just before I went on holiday

I managed to get things up and running earlier than I expected, so I've made the change to clear 333C. Please try it -- the updated WideClient is now in the Download Links subforum.

Regards

Pete