The simFlight Network Forums

Addon Menu Entries and SimConnect.dll

Pete, I certainly do apologize in advance for posting this in your forum. I have no problems with Fsuipc, I just need someone with your savvy to look at this.

This SimConnect problem has me against the wall. I've been reading forum posts for almost a week. According to my SimConnect.log, all my simconnect stuff is loading, most of it is working, just not auto-starting. Fsuipc 4.5 is the only thing showing in the Fs Menu. FsEarth will not work with G/E. Instant Scenery won't work at all. (I'm sure Pete Dowson could fix this, I just don't have the heart to ask him, especially since his Fsuipc is working perfectly, and always has. Too bad Pete didn't write FSX.)

Heh, I left that in, its what I posted at FSDevelopers.

At the advice of FSInsider crew I ran a repair session, then it took me two days just getting my addon menu back.

I'm including some xml files, simconnect log and etc. In a txt file.

John Bell

01/19/1939

SimConnect Woes.TXT

This SimConnect problem has me against the wall. I've been reading forum posts for almost a week. According to my SimConnect.log, all my simconnect stuff is loading, most of it is working, just not auto-starting. Fsuipc 4.5 is the only thing showing in the Fs Menu.

You need to update. Version 4.5 is completely unsupported. 4.60 has been out for a year and soon to be superseded by 4.70.

I'm including some xml files, simconnect log and etc. In a txt file.

I'll have a quick look ...

.. You say there "So for now FsEarth and Instant Scenery are the only apps that wom't work". Both are being loaded okay.

I'd like to see the FSUIPC Install log (from 4.60) as that will show which versions of SimConnect it sees. Then update to 4.669 (from the Download Links subforum, install that, run FSX again, and show me the run-time FSUIPC4 log from that too (it uses a different method to link to SimConnect).

Your out-of-date FSUIPC is using the SP2/Accel version of SimConnect (the latest), but It is likely that the SimConnect version required by those two programs isn't working -- SP1 probably. A lot of utilities stopped at that because they couldn't guarantee folks moving on to SP2. FSUIPC will use whatever it can get hold of.

If this is the case I'm afraid I know of no easy solution. I got the same on my test PC -- I deliberately messed it up in order to try and work out a way to fix it, hopefully automatically. I ended up reinstalling Windows to fix it. That was with Win7 though. It used to be easier with XP -- depending on how out of date your XP is. It used to be possible to actually delete the three WinSxS SimConnect folders and then re-run the three SimConnect installers (simconnect.msi) from the FSX SDK.. The fact that the folders were missing seemed to allow it to reinstall correctly. However, that seemed to stop working and only succeeded in wrecking all three SimConnects instead, again necessitating a Windows install. Maybe it's a risk you could take if you make a full restore point first so you can roll back. But don't say you weren't warned!

Regards

Pete

You need to update. Version 4.5 is completely unsupported. 4.60 has been out for a year and soon to be superseded by 4.70.

I'll have a quick look ...

.. You say there "So for now FsEarth and Instant Scenery are the only apps that wom't work". Both are being loaded okay.

I'd like to see the FSUIPC Install log (from 4.60) as that will show which versions of SimConnect it sees. Then update to 4.669 (from the Download Links subforum, install that, run FSX again, and show me the run-time FSUIPC4 log from that too (it uses a different method to link to SimConnect).

Your out-of-date FSUIPC is using the SP2/Accel version of SimConnect (the latest), but It is likely that the SimConnect version required by those two programs isn't working -- SP1 probably. A lot of utilities stopped at that because they couldn't guarantee folks moving on to SP2. FSUIPC will use whatever it can get hold of.

If this is the case I'm afraid I know of no easy solution. I got the same on my test PC -- I deliberately messed it up in order to try and work out a way to fix it, hopefully automatically. I ended up reinstalling Windows to fix it. That was with Win7 though. It used to be easier with XP -- depending on how out of date your XP is. It used to be possible to actually delete the three WinSxS SimConnect folders and then re-run the three SimConnect installers (simconnect.msi) from the FSX SDK.. The fact that the folders were missing seemed to allow it to reinstall correctly. However, that seemed to stop working and only succeeded in wrecking all three SimConnects instead, again necessitating a Windows install. Maybe it's a risk you could take if you make a full restore point first so you can roll back. But don't say you weren't warned!

Regards

Pete

I installed 4.60. Can't really see any change

John

Installer for FSUIPC4.DLL version 4.60a

Looking in registry for FSX install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0

Parameter"SetupPath"

... >>> OK! FOUND FSX! <<< ...

Looking in registry for ESP install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft ESP\1.0

Parameter"SetupPath"

Not there, so looking in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft ESP\1.0

Parameter"AppPath"

... NOT found! ...

===========================================================

INSTALLATION FOR FSX:

AppPath="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"

Checking version of FSX.EXE:

... Version 10.0.61472.0 (Need at least 10.0.60905.0)

Checking compatibility with installed SimConnect:

Found SimConnect build 60905 (Original)

Found SimConnect build 61242 (SP1 May07)

Found SimConnect build 61259 (Acc/SP2 Oct07)

Checking if there's already a version of FSUIPC4 installed in:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL

... Version 4.500 found.

FSX Modules folder already exists.

Okay -- installed FSUIPC4 into "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL"

Looking for the current user's Application Data path:

... found as "C:\Documents and Settings\John\Application Data"

Now finding \Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG for all users, including this one

Looking in "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data"

Found FSX.CFG in "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG"

Now checking DLL.XML ...

... There is a previous DLL.XML, checking for FSUIPC4 section.

... FSUIPC4 section already exists but will be replaced.

... FSUIPC4 section of DLL.XML written okay

Now checking for a SimConnect.XML file ...

... No SimConnect.XML file found. This is okay.

Looking in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data"

... No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data"

... No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Documents and Settings\John\Application Data"

Found FSX.CFG in "C:\Documents and Settings\John\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG"

Now checking DLL.XML ...

... There is a previous DLL.XML, checking for FSUIPC4 section.

... FSUIPC4 section already exists but will be replaced.

... FSUIPC4 section of DLL.XML written okay

Now checking for a SimConnect.XML file ...

... There is a SimConnect.XML, checking for "local" section.

No previous "local" entry found, so adding it now ...

... "local" section of SimConnect.XML written okay

Looking in "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data"

... No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Application Data"

... No FSX.CFG there

"Modules\FSUIPC Documents" folder created okay!

Now installing additional files into the "Modules\FSUIPC Documents" folder:

Installed "FSUIPC4 User Guide.pdf" okay

Installed "FSUIPC4 for Advanced Users.pdf" okay

Installed "FSUIPC4 History.pdf" okay

Installed "List of FSX controls.pdf" okay

Installed "GlobalSign Root.exe" okay

Installed "FSUIPC Lua Library.pdf" okay

Installed "FSUIPC Lua Plug-Ins.pdf" okay

Installed "Lua License.pdf" okay

Installed "Lua Plugins for VRInsight Devices.pdf" okay

Installed "Example LUA plugins.zip" okay

FSUIPC4.DLL installed and signature checked out okay!

Deleted GlobalSign Root fix program ... no longer relevant

===========================================================

All installer tasks completed okay!

Registration check for FSUIPC4 was successful! (result code 00)

*************** End of Install Log ***************

I installed 4.60. Can't really see any change

No but at least I can legitimately help now you are using a supported product! ;-)

Checking compatibility with installed SimConnect:

Found SimConnect build 60905 (Original)

Found SimConnect build 61242 (SP1 May07)

Found SimConnect build 61259 (Acc/SP2 Oct07)

All versions are installed, and seem to check out okay here. The installer method isn't foolproof though. The problem sometimes arises when the program tries to Open the connection.

No run-time log from FSUIPC 4.669?

Regards

Pete

No but at least I can legitimately help now you are using a supported product! ;-)

All versions are installed, and seem to check out okay here. The installer method isn't foolproof though. The problem sometimes arises when the program tries to Open the connection.

No run-time log from FSUIPC 4.669?

Regards

Pete

I get an error trying to add fsuipc 4.6697 to 4.60. Just wouldn.t do it. I hid 4.60 in a folder and ran 4.6697. Went ok. Now I'll uninstall 4.6697 and try again with 4.60 the install 4.6697.

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.669 by Pete Dowson *********

Reading options from "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.ini"

Trying to connect to SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07 ...

User Name="John Bell"

User Addr="jbell7@centurytel.net"

FSUIPC4 Key is provided

WIDEFS7 not user registered, or expired

Running inside FSX (using SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07)

Module base=61000000

Wind smoothing fix is fully installed

DebugStatus=15

63 System time = 01/04/2011 16:19:50

63 FLT path = "C:\Documents and Settings\John\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\"

63 FS path = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"

1000 LogOptions=00000000 00000001

1000 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay

2469 Running in "Microsoft Flight Simulator X", Version: 10.0.61472.0 (SimConnect: 10.0.61259.0)

2469 Initialising SimConnect data requests now

2469 FSUIPC Menu entry added

2532 C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIM.FLT

2532 C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aircreation_582SL\Aircreation_582SL.AIR

26891 System time = 01/04/2011 16:20:17, Simulator time = 19:11:49 (02:11Z)

27063 Aircraft="Aircreation582SL red"

30079 Starting everything now ...

31188 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled

John

I get an error trying to add fsuipc 4.6697 to 4.60. Just wouldn.t do it.

You mean 4.669? You don't "add" one DLL to another. They both have the same name -- FSUIPC4.DLL. When you copy the DLL into the modules folder it simply overwrites the one there, just like any other file. Windows might just ask you for permission to do so. no error though. If you said "no" it would rename it as a "copy" or something, which wouldn't be any good.

I hid 4.60 in a folder and ran 4.6697. Went ok. Now I'll uninstall 4.6697 and try again with 4.60 the install 4.6697.

There's no "install" for 4.669, it is only a replacement DLL. Where are you getting this stuff from? You aren't making sense I'm afraid.

Anyway, the log shows it's fine with SP! SimConnect too. So I guess the problem with the other programs is they need SP1 or the base RTM version of SimConnect and are failing at the Open call. Before doing anything drastic though I'd ask their support what version of SimConnect they use and how to tell why they don't work. Maybe they lodge their errors in a file someplace for you to check.

Regards

Pete

OK Pete, a gaff here in semantics. I somehow placed fsuipc 4.60 in the modules folder. Then I attempted to unzip the 4.669 into the modules folder. This didn't go well. I removed the 4.6 dll and unzipped successfully 4.669 in the modules folder. No change. Removed fsuipc 4.669 .dll and started over with 4.5. Put in 4.6. Unzipped 4.669 ok into modules folder.

John

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.669 by Pete Dowson *********

Reading options from "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.ini"

Trying to connect to SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07 ...

User Name="John Bell"

User Addr="jbell7@centurytel.net"

FSUIPC4 Key is provided

WIDEFS7 not user registered, or expired

Running inside FSX (using SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07)

Module base=61000000

Wind smoothing fix is fully installed

DebugStatus=15

672 System time = 02/04/2011 06:46:15

672 FLT path = "C:\Documents and Settings\John\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\"

672 FS path = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"

1812 LogOptions=00000000 00000001

1812 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay

3359 Running in "Microsoft Flight Simulator X", Version: 10.0.61472.0 (SimConnect: 10.0.61259.0)

3359 Initialising SimConnect data requests now

3359 FSUIPC Menu entry added

3422 C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIM.FLT

3422 C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aircreation_582SL\Aircreation_582SL.AIR

67453 System time = 02/04/2011 06:47:22, Simulator time = 19:11:49 (02:11Z)

67797 Aircraft="Aircreation582SL red"

69203 Starting everything now ...

70468 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled

SimConnect.log

0.00000 SimConnect version 10.0.61259.0

0.05958 Server: Scope=Global, Protocol=IPv4, Address=192.168.0.196, Port=4506, MaxClients=64

0.06664 Server: Scope=local, Protocol=Auto, Address=::1, Port=1030, MaxClients=64

0.08598 Server: Scope=local, Protocol=Pipe, Name=\\.\pipe\Microsoft Flight Simulator\SimConnect, MaxClients=64

0.09348 Server: Scope=local, Protocol=IPv6, Address=::1, Port=1031, MaxClients=64

0.10134 Server: Scope=local, Protocol=IPv4, Address=127.0.0.1, Port=1462, MaxClients=64

0.38969 Exe Launched: Path="C:\Program Files\Saitek\Pro Flight Panels\SaiPanels.exe" CommandLine="-run" Version="1.0.0.1"

0.39341 Exe Launched: Path="C:\Program Files\Saitek\Pro Flight Panels\SaiPanelsFS9.exe" CommandLine="-run" Version="1.0.0.1"

21.47374 DLL Loaded: Path="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\FS_Earth\fs_earth.dll" Version="5.2.0.0"

21.48571 Panels data export found and set to 20AF19E8

21.50334 DLL Loaded: Path="C:\Program Files\Instant Scenery\InstantSceneryFSX.dll" Version="1.0.4.0"

21.51037 Panels data export found and set to 20AF19E8

21.53075 DLL Loaded: Path="C:\Program Files\AFX\AFXModuleFSX.dll" Version="1.0.9.0"

21.84467 DLL Loaded: Path="Modules\FSWidgets\SlewAssist\FSWSlewAssistLauncher.dll" Version="1.0.0.3"

22.57176 Panels data export found and set to 20AF19E8

23.77258 DLL Loaded: Path="Modules\FSUIPC4.dll" Version="4.6.6.9"

23.77277 File not found: Path="Modules\FSCopilot.dll"

> 25.30284 [128, 1]Open: Version=0x00000004 Name="FSUIPC4"

> 25.30291 [128, 2]AddToDataDefinition:DefineID=-558899537, DatumName="IS USER SIM", UnitsName="Bool", DatumType=1, fEpsilon=0.000000, DatumID=0

OK Pete, a gaff here in semantics. I somehow placed fsuipc 4.60 in the modules folder.

Why "somehow"? The Installer automatically puts it into the Modules folder. there is no way to get hold of 4.60 except by running the Installer, and that puts it into the Modules folder along with other stuff including full documentation in a sub-folder.

Then I attempted to unzip the 4.669 into the modules folder. This didn't go well. I removed the 4.6 dll and unzipped successfully 4.669 in the modules folder. No change. Removed fsuipc 4.669 .dll and started over with 4.5. Put in 4.6. Unzipped 4.669 ok into modules folder.

Sorry, I've no idea what any of that means! :-(

What does "didn't go well" mean? That your unzip operation failed? And how is there "no change" in the second case which you said was "successful". How can "successful" not be a change from "didn't go well"? If 4.669 was never installed how did you remove it? Why start over with 4.5 which is way out of date and unsupportable?

Why did you post further logs? I summarised where you are at in my last message. There's nothing else I can glean from any of this -- we've simply proven that SP2 SimConnect is installed okay and works okay.

If you want more diagnosis, you could uninstall SP2 (or Acceleration if that's what you installed), then rerun the 4.60 installer and see if its log says SP1 SimConnect is okay. If not then FSUIPC 4.60 won't work, but 4.669 probably will because it links to Simconnect differently.

Really, you need to resort to support for the products concerned. They should be able to tell you which version of SimConnect they depend upon. If it isn't SP2 you probably have your answer -- a SimConnect corruption and a probably Windows re-install.

Pete