The simFlight Network Forums

FS9 and IMC

Pete,

There have been some posts on various forums from people who have noticed how hard it is to fly in the 'soup' with the ground completely obscured.. it seems there's always a hole in the clouds allowing you to see the ground. This seems to be a 'quirk' with FS9's weather system.

Some of the comments re. this can be found here;

http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcforum/3906.html

A potential workaround is to set a zero vis layer with the same base and top as the cloud layer. However, with real world weather this requires work to set the layer, and as it constantly changes, doesn't work for long unless u keep going in to change things.

This may be completely inappropriate to this forum, in which case I apologise, but would it be within the scope of fsuipc to add some programming to always add zero vis to any cloud layer that was 8/8 coverage?

Just a thought. Again, if this isn't something that fsuipc would cover then apologies for posting.

Thanks

This may be completely inappropriate to this forum, in which case I apologise, but would it be within the scope of fsuipc to add some programming to always add zero vis to any cloud layer that was 8/8 coverage?

Have you actually tried doing this? Have you set more than 1 vis layer?

FS has had the structures for multiple vis layers since FS2000, but it never uses them, and whenever I've attempted to use them it has always caused problems. If you have managed to create weather with multiple layers to do what you say, please send me a FLT+WX to look at.

Anyway, FSUIPC really can't do much at all with FS's own localised weather, only global weather and weather fed in from external programs. I simply have not been able to locate the structures relevant to the weather at the aircraft when using localised weather.

Regards,

Pete

No, I've not personally set multiple vis layers and checked to see if they worked. I just assumed they did (obviously wrongly) Anyway, I just use fsmeteo and let that deal with things.

To stop the ground being visible it would only be necessary to do this on the lowest level of clouds that were 8/8 cover.

However as you point out, with fsuipc dealing with weather globally, I can see if would be difficult/impossible to do this. Also, if only 1 vis layer will work.. it would screw up the ground vis layer in the metars.. so sounds like a non starter..

Thanks for responding though.