The simFlight Network Forums

little problem with Joystick buttons

Hello,

i have a little problem with the Joystick buttons.

I can assign a button. That is not the problem. When i push the button the first time it works great. But when i push the button next time it doesn´t. I must wait about 30 seconds until it works again. When I push another button and then the first one it works direct. It seems that the FSUIPC blocks a second push on the button for a time. It is a bit stupid when you want to start the APU for example. You must push 2 times. But for the second time you must wait or you must push another key with another option.

I hope you understand me.;)

Best regards

Christian

I can assign a button. That is not the problem. When i push the button the first time it works great. But when i push the button next time it doesn´t. I must wait about 30 seconds until it works again. When I push another button and then the first one it works direct. It seems that the FSUIPC blocks a second push on the button for a time.

No, FSUIPC most certainly does not block buttons. It scans them at the rate determined by the PollInterval parameter, which defaults to 25 milliseconds, giving a maximum 40 per second repeat rate for a button held down, or 20 per second for push/release/push detection.

If the button is assigned to a Lua plug-in program then it is limited a little more by the LuaRerunDelay parameter, which is 66 mSecs. That is designed to avoid overfilling the stack be repeatedly restarting programs faster than they can be killed. But that still represents 15 push/release changes per second.

It is a bit stupid when you want to start the APU for example. You must push 2 times. But for the second time you must wait or you must push another key with another option.

I don't know what you have assigned these things to nor what sort of add-on you have processing the results, but there is no way FSUIPC will put anything in the way of the sort of repeated press rates I've just mentioned. It sounds more like a problem wth your add-on.

Maybe if you told me a bit more about what you are assigning, and to what program (you don't even mention which Flight Simulator you are talking about), I could help a little more. Also please check you are using a supported version of FSUIPC -- 3.99 or 4.70.

Regards

Pete

Hi,

thank you for your quick answer.

I use the FSUIPC 3.99 and FS9. I use the Yoke-System from Saitek. My operationsystem is Windows 7 with the latest SP.

I gave you an other example. I use the new Ifly 737 with the latest SP. I setup in the Keymanager from Ifly "Engine-Anti Ice with ctrl+F7 for on and off". In the FSUIPC i setup the button. Back in FS I can activate it. Without any problems. But when I want to deactivate it again and i push the button nothing happens. I must first push another button which is configured over the FSUIPC or I must wait for a time. When i push the compination on my keyboard it works direct.

I have the sampe problem with the Level-d.

Best regards and thank you

Christian

I gave you an other example. I use the new Ifly 737 with the latest SP. I setup in the Keymanager from Ifly "Engine-Anti Ice with ctrl+F7 for on and off". In the FSUIPC i setup the button. Back in FS I can activate it. Without any problems. But when I want to deactivate it again and i push the button nothing happens. I must first push another button which is configured over the FSUIPC or I must wait for a time. When i push the compination on my keyboard it works direct.

I have the sampe problem with the Level-d.

So you are assigning to key presses not to controls. Much less efficient because it depends on the Windows message queuing system.

There is still no difference in how FSUIPC reacts to button presses. Every time it detects the press (or the release, or both, depending how you assign it) it simply places the keypresses you chose into FS's message queue. There is nothing complex and certainly there is no imposed delay or block.

Either something is going wrong on your setup AFTER the keypress is sent to FS, but that seems unlikely since you say it works okay with the actual keyboard, OR it is a problem with the way the device with the buttons is connected. Do you have any other software handling the joystick? Nothing other than the standard Windows joystick driver? Can you program the buttons and have them working properly in FS itself?

The fact that it is "faster" if you press another button then the original one again strongly suggests that something is acting on the button states before FSUIPC gets to see them, and acting to make them switches instead of momentary buttons.

Please do two things:

1. Test on a default FS aircraft to ensure it is not a problem with specific add-ons.

2. Test also assigning in FSUIPC but to an FS control, not to a keystroke. This is to eliminate keyboard processing.

3. Enable button and keys logging on the FSUIPC Logging tab. Do not press and other option. Reproduce your problem, then show me the resulting FSUIPC log file.

Please also show me the [buttons] section of your FSUIPC.INI file so I can see exactly what you've assigned and how.

Regards

Pete

Hi,

thank you. I fixed the problem. I was my fault. There's an option in FSUIPC in the button assignment page saying "Key press not to be held". It's checked by default.I have unchecked it and now i have no problem anymore :)

Best regards and thank you.

Christian

There's an option in FSUIPC in the button assignment page saying "Key press not to be held". It's checked by default.I have unchecked it and now i have no problem anymore

Hmmm. It's checked by default because that's how you need it to be normally. If it is held the "KEY UP's" aren't sent until the button is released.

It sounds like your add-ons which don't like the default have difficulty if there's not an appreciable time between the Keystrokes being pressed and being released. That's unusual -- most applications only take notice of the "press" in any case.

Nevertheless I'm glad it solved your "little problem". ;-)

Regards

Pete