The simFlight Network Forums

Eliminate "Dead Zone"

Hello! I had the opportunity to have my helicopter 'pit evaluated by a flight instructor and his only downcheck was the "dead zone" in the cyclic. I read the FSUIPC doc and I was a bit confused: it said "ease off" on a setting. It wasn't clear which value was being referred to and I'm not sure what "easing off" meant.

The instructor noted that, to keep an R-22 under control in a hover, "dime-sized" movements were all that were needed. Given the lenght of my cyclic, I'm not sure this is possible, but I would like instantaneous reaction when I do move the stick. I have a little time in real helos and I know what he's talking about: it's not so much about moving the cyclic as thinking about it. If you have to consciously move it, you're probably over-controlling.

Thanks!

My setup: simcontroller 'pit (www.simcontroller.com), Quad-core Intel (2.66 overclocked to 3.16), Asus HD 5870 graphics (20% overclock), FSX, Win 7 (64-bit), 4GB. I am using the latest, greatest versons of FSUIPC (pay version) and HTR (Helicopter Total Realism).

Hello! I had the opportunity to have my helicopter 'pit evaluated by a flight instructor and his only downcheck was the "dead zone" in the cyclic. I read the FSUIPC doc and I was a bit confused: it said "ease off" on a setting. It wasn't clear which value was being referred to and I'm not sure what "easing off" meant.

"Ease off"? Doesn't sound like a term I'd use! (In fact I haven't used it, after checking with a search!)

The instructor noted that, to keep an R-22 under control in a hover, "dime-sized" movements were all that were needed. Given the lenght of my cyclic, I'm not sure this is possible, but I would like instantaneous reaction when I do move the stick. I have a little time in real helos and I know what he's talking about: it's not so much about moving the cyclic as thinking about it. If you have to consciously move it, you're probably over-controlling.

There are three possible places where you could set a "dead zone" -- the two extremes, and the 'centre'.

The reason for a little leeway at the extremes is merely to make sure that you can actually reach the extremes at all times, in all conditions. The leeway there is to allow for temperature and humidity variations which change the resistance measured across the pot and therefore the value returned.

The reason for any leeway in the centre is to ensure that, for spring-centred levers (as most are), the position with hands-off, is predictable, always the same, the correct centre of the control surface. Centering on most devices is variable. Additionally it allows for a little amount of jitter. But you don't need to set any. Simply calibrating the centre with no zone is as easy as pressing the button twice without moving the lever. It's entirely up to you.

The better quality the control you are using the less reason for any "dead zones" at all. In fact the real best quality controls probably don't need calibrating, or FSUIPC. for that matter.

Regards

Pete

You're correct: the technical term you used was "relax it". Quite a difference from "ease off".

Since some of us are going for as much accuracy as possible, eliminating the dead zone in this instance is the way to go. Apparently, however, I'll need to look elsewhere for direction.

"Ease off"? Doesn't sound like a term I'd use! (In fact I haven't used it, after checking with a search!)

There are three possible places where you could set a "dead zone" -- the two extremes, and the 'centre'.

The reason for a little leeway at the extremes is merely to make sure that you can actually reach the extremes at all times, in all conditions. The leeway there is to allow for temperature and humidity variations which change the resistance measured across the pot and therefore the value returned.

The reason for any leeway in the centre is to ensure that, for spring-centred levers (as most are), the position with hands-off, is predictable, always the same, the correct centre of the control surface. Centering on most devices is variable. Additionally it allows for a little amount of jitter. But you don't need to set any. Simply calibrating the centre with no zone is as easy as pressing the button twice without moving the lever. It's entirely up to you.

The better quality the control you are using the less reason for any "dead zones" at all. In fact the real best quality controls probably don't need calibrating, or FSUIPC. for that matter.

Regards

Pete

Since some of us are going for as much accuracy as possible, eliminating the dead zone in this instance is the way to go. Apparently, however, I'll need to look elsewhere for direction.

Is that some attempt at sarcasm?

I don't understand you. If you don't want a central dead zone, why on Earth are you calibrating with one there? I just explained why the facility is there, and that you didn't have to use it! Don't you read the replies? you evidently completely missed this:

Simply calibrating the centre with no zone is as easy as pressing the button twice without moving the lever.

What more instruction do you need, and why be so nasty?

:-(

As I said, how you calibrate is up to you. The facilities are there to use as you wish. What guidance do you think you are missing?

Pete