The simFlight Network Forums

Feel There compatibility

Hi Everyone,

I have a custom built overhead panel using Desktop Aviator circuit boards and this panel works great with FSX default and freeware add-on aircraft such as those from Premier Aircraft. All commands from this 38 switch/button panel are handled with FSUIPC.

The problem I have is with Wilco/Feel There Pilot In Command 737 and Feel There PIC Embraer Regional Jets. Some of the functions do work: APU start, fuel cut off, incremental spoilers, jetway, exit door, parking brake. But none of the light switches will operate either with FSUIPC or my Saitek switch panel. I've tried unplugging the Saitek switch panel (which uses its own driver software) thinking it may be conflicting with FSUIPC, but no change.

Don't know if there is an interface fix or if I will just stay away from Feel There products in the future. It's a shame to have a working overhead panel that won't talk to programs that actually have working overhead panels.

Any comments, suggestions or just opinion is welcome.

Thanks!

Tim D

Las Vegas

The problem I have is with Wilco/Feel There Pilot In Command 737 and Feel There PIC Embraer Regional Jets. Some of the functions do work: APU start, fuel cut off, incremental spoilers, jetway, exit door, parking brake. But none of the light switches will operate either with FSUIPC or my Saitek switch panel. I've tried unplugging the Saitek switch panel (which uses its own driver software) thinking it may be conflicting with FSUIPC, but no change.

Many of the more sophisticated add-on aircraft implement their own subsystems for many aspects of an aircraft. They often don't operate using standard FS controls.

This is not a new problem, it has been happening for many years over many versions of FS.

Sometimes the add-on writers provide other means -- often keyboard short cuts which then of course can be assigned to buttons in FSUIPC. Others, such as the Wilco 767, provide a Software development Kit (SDK) which allows others to implement interfaces which in turn can either use FSUIPC or do their own button or switch assignments.

Sometimes the answer is to use FSUIPC's mouse macro facilities, which work with aircraft panels written using the Microsoft FS C/C++ gauge SDK, or the "Local gauge variables" ("L:Vars") assignment and access facilities also provided in FSUIPC.

I can't tell you how to do things on those particular aircraft, but those are the avenues to investigate. If you browse the SubForum here called "User Contributions" you will find lots of examples of solutions for an assortment of add-on aircraft.

One more widely encompassing solution, which is one I've used for my 737NG cockpit, is to discard all of the add-on's panels and systems and use one of the "free-standing" complete systems, such as Project Magenta, FlightDeckSoftware, SimAvionics, or ProSim737.

Regards

Pete