The simFlight Network Forums

unsuccessful registration

impressed by the functionality of fsuipc4 when assigning keys und buttons in fsx I decided to by the latest version of fsuipc 3 for fs9.

Until now, I did use an unregistered version of FSUIPC 3. Before installing my new fsuipc 3 I did simply delete the fsuipc files in the "\modules" folder

(as recommended in the users guide).

Although the install log says :"All installer tasks completed okay! Registration for FSUIPC was successful! (result code 00)", when starting FSUIPC in FS9 I only get

the message, that my copy of FSUIPC 3.99 is "not registered". On the other hand, all FSUIPC files including *.dll, *.key, *.log, *.ini are in the "\modules" folder.

Since the only way of registering seems to be using installer, I repeated the whole procedure described above (deleting manually / then installing) twice with the same result.

My OS in Win 7 home premium.

Since I didn´t find a solution in the faq - section, please, give me some advice

Thank you

Miuki

Until now, I did use an unregistered version of FSUIPC 3. Before installing my new fsuipc 3 I did simply delete the fsuipc files in the "\modules" folder

There's no different "registered" and "unregistered" versins. The difference is in the facilities unlocked when you register. There's never any need to delete anything first.

(as recommended in the users guide).

Really? I think it might say that if you are updating from a reall really old version to a new version you might need to delete the old INI file in case some things have changed, but really all that does is remove entries which no longer apply which would have no effect in any case except act as dross. And in your case, since you previously weren't even registered, it would do nothing because there'd be nothing but default settings in any case.

Although the install log says :"All installer tasks completed okay! Registration for FSUIPC was successful! (result code 00)", when starting FSUIPC in FS9 I only get

the message, that my copy of FSUIPC 3.99 is "not registered". On the other hand, all FSUIPC files including *.dll, *.key, *.log, *.ini are in the "\modules" folder.

This sounds like another case of recent Windows updates making Windows even more over-protective. In the past any program with "Setup" or "Install" in the name automatically got "elevated admin privileges" which allowed it to update the Registry. I think some recent update has restricted that to only Microsoft's format of installers (the "msi" types). Very mean of them.

There are two ways around this, I think. One it to run the Installer by right-clicking on it and selecting "Run as administrator". The other is to replace the FSUIPC.DLL file in your FS Modules folder with the interim update available in the Download Links subforum above. In that I changed some of the checks to get around the problem.

I'll be releasing a complete update with revised installer in a few weeks, but it isn't possible at present due to other outstanding developments.

Regards

Pete

There's no different "registered" and "unregistered" versins. The difference is in the facilities unlocked when you register. There's never any need to delete anything first.

Really? I think it might say that if you are updating from a reall really old version to a new version you might need to delete the old INI file in case some things have changed, but really all that does is remove entries which no longer apply which would have no effect in any case except act as dross. And in your case, since you previously weren't even registered, it would do nothing because there'd be nothing but default settings in any case.

This sounds like another case of recent Windows updates making Windows even more over-protective. In the past any program with "Setup" or "Install" in the name automatically got "elevated admin privileges" which allowed it to update the Registry. I think some recent update has restricted that to only Microsoft's format of installers (the "msi" types). Very mean of them.

There are two ways around this, I think. One it to run the Installer by right-clicking on it and selecting "Run as administrator". The other is to replace the FSUIPC.DLL file in your FS Modules folder with the interim update available in the Download Links subforum above. In that I changed some of the checks to get around the problem.

I'll be releasing a complete update with revised installer in a few weeks, but it isn't possible at present due to other outstanding developments.

Regards

Pete

Thanks for your fast reaction and the suggestions for a fix. Unfortunately they did not solve the problem . So I´ll have to wait for the new installer.

All the new installer does is install what will be almost an identical copy of FSUIPC.DLL into your FS modules folder! There won't be anything else helping! There's nothing else I can do!

So it does sound as if you have something else wrong. Can you please post the text from the FSUIPC.LOG file which you will find in the FS Modules folder. Close FS first. I'll see if that Log holds any clues.

Please note that if you allowed FS to install in the Windows "Program Files" folders, you will likely have problems with all sorts of add-ons unless you run everything "as administrator", because Win7 protects those folders and presents the user with an alias in Explorer, not the real folder. Maybe when you copied the updated DLL you only put it into the aliassed one. Try doing it again, but when you run Explorer do so by right-clicking it and selecting "run as administrator". you might need to do the dame to get the Log file.

Many add-ons need to write to FS's own folders and generally they will not be able to when FS is installed in Program Files. This mess comes about because FS9 was written long before Win7 (or Vista for that matter, which presents the same problems).

Regards

Pete