The simFlight Network Forums

WideFS issues

Hello, I have searched this forum extensively and I have seen several people with similiar issues of mine. However, I have not found any decent enough fixes.

For over a year I have ran FSX on my WinXP x64 desktop with fully registered FSUIPC and Widefs and widefs client on my win7 x64 laptop without a problem. All of a sudden, i'm getting errors galore and have tried several quickfixes and nothing doing.

The logs are as followed.. I should also mention, I have double checked the ports as well as firewalls and nothing doing.

WideServer

********* WideServer.DLL Log [version 7.703] *********

Blocksize guide = 4096 (double allowed)

Date (dmy): 31/07/11, Time 05:06:21.781: Server name is JR02145-PC

15485 Initialising TCP/IP server

15485 Initialising IPX/SPX server

15485 IPX/SPX socket() failed [Error=10044] Socket type not supported

15500 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

15500 Initialising UDP/IP server

16031 Broadcasting service every 1000 mSecs

WideServer0

Date (dmy): 31/07/11, Time 05:03:26.593: Server name is JR02145-PC

15437 Initialising TCP/IP server

15437 Initialising IPX/SPX server

15437 IPX/SPX socket() failed [Error=10044] Socket type not supported

15437 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

15437 Initialising UDP/IP server

83734 Closing down now ...

Memory managed: Offset records: 40 alloc, 39 free

Read buffer usage: 0 alloc, 0 free, max in session: 0

Write buffer usage: 0 alloc, 0 free, max in session: 0

Throughput maximum achieved: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

Throughput average achieved for complete session: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

********* Log file closed *********

WideClient

********* WideClient Log [version 6.86] Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 31/07/11, Time 05:06:06.649: Client name is JRLAPTOP1

561 Attempting to connect now

561 LUA: "C:\Users\jrlaptop\Documents\WideFS\Initial.LUA": not found

1560 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast

1560 Failed to connect: waiting to try again

3603 Attempting to connect now

68609 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast

wideclient0

Date (dmy): 31/07/11, Time 05:06:21.781: Server name is JR02145-PC

15485 Initialising TCP/IP server

15485 Initialising IPX/SPX server

15485 IPX/SPX socket() failed [Error=10044] Socket type not supported

15500 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

15500 Initialising UDP/IP server

I have the feeling that I am forgetting to prove something so please tell me what else you need to help. Once again this was just working yesterday and now it's not. And as far as I know, No changes have been made to either systems

Jey R.

Hello, I have searched this forum extensively and I have seen several people with similiar issues of mine. However, I have not found any decent enough fixes.

Can you point at least one out, because i do not know of any reports, for years at least, of "errors galore"!

All of a sudden, i'm getting errors galore and have tried several quickfixes and nothing doing.

The logs show no errors whatsoever, only a lack of any connection. Can you please describe what these "errors galore" are? Have you any record of them at all? If you are getting lots of re-reads and sumcheck errors, and these have occurred suddenly without any changes made by you, then it is most likely symptomatic of a bad cable connection or failing Ethernet interface hardware. Software, on its own, does not tend to deteriorate like hardware.

The logs are as followed.. I should also mention, I have double checked the ports as well as firewalls and nothing doing.

The logs simply show the programs loaded and no connection. This line in the Client log:

68609 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast

shows the client is simply waiting to see the broadcast from the Server. Apart from firewall blocks at either end, the most likely reason it cannot see it is because your PCs are in different workgroups, but such a situation cannot possibly occur all on its own, only by changes made by you.

You say you "have tried several quickfixes ", but did you actually try the main one to get around the lack of broadcast receptions, the one where you tell WideClient your Server details in the INI file? It is one of the first things suggested in the documentation, after all, in the section on configuring your network.

It's all very well searching a Forum, finding lots of (unnamed) "similar" occurrences, and trying lots of "quickfixes", but it strikes me as usually more efficient to first refer to the manual. Also, if you have all this wealth of information, on errors galore and on quickfixes you've tried, it might be actually useful to state what they are in order to elicit further help.

If you do have such relevant information, please provide it so I can help further.

Regards

Pete

Hello Peter,

First I want to say thank you for replying so fast. also, I would like to clarify some statements made in my OP.

The 'errors galore' comment was pretty much a frustration comment and I would like to apologize if it offended in anyway. I have found this software extremely useful and valuable to my flightsimming.

The quickfixes that i mentioned were the port configurations mentioned in the other forum posts with similar problems (in response to your question of where these posts are, they are under the searched topic of error 10044)

I admit that I have not checked the manuals and I will read through them as soon as I get home tonight. When I do I shall post whether or not it works.

Again, Thanks for responding so quickly

An update,

I did as you said and consulted the documentation and added the server protocol as well as the server IP address and I got it to finally connect. I also saved back up copies of the INI files just in case this problem happens again.

Jr

I did as you said and consulted the documentation and added the server protocol as well as the server IP address and I got it to finally connect.

The fact that it isn't receiving broadcasts does indicate that either one of your PCs is using an old version of XP (before SP1), or that the Workgroup names in the two PCs are different. Broadcasts don't work across different workgroups. Renaming is easy enough in "My Computer" properties.

Regards

Pete