The simFlight Network Forums

Two questions about what FSUIPC can do .. or not

Hi,

I've been skimming through the documents that came with FSUIPC but I haven't been able to figure out two things (maybe I'm just too dumb to understand).

What I'd like to do is:

An axis can be used to send flightsim commands when the axis travels through certain ranges. This is fine, but can I also use key commands instead of flightsim commands?

I would need to do the following:

when axis travels up: send key command 1 in the upper quarter.

when the axis travels down: send key command 2 when half-way, send key command 3 when in the lower quarter.

Is it possible to program a toggle on a button such as:

button down first time: send key command 1

button down second time: send key command 2

button down again: send again key command 1

button down again: send again key command 2

etc.

Thanks for your help

An axis can be used to send flightsim commands when the axis travels through certain ranges. This is fine, but can I also use key commands instead of flightsim commands?

I assume you need a keypress because the applciation you are sending it to doesn't respond to controls? Pretty much all FS's own keys translate into FS controls.

If ou want to send keypresses from that part of FSUIPC you have to use one of the FSUIPC added command for sending keypresses. Please check the User Guide section on Axis assignments again. scroll down to the part beginning with this paragraph:

Finally, one final question should occur to you: in the Buttons+Switches section you can assign FS controls or Key Presses. The Key Press assignments come in useful for those add-on aircraft panels which don’t provide controls for everything. Suppose I want to send keypresses based on an axis position?

Is it possible to program a toggle on a button such as:

button down first time: send key command 1

button down second time: send key command 2

button down again: send again key command 1

button down again: send again key command 2

etc.

Yes, using button flags that is easy. In fact for all standard joystick buttons there's a button flag which toggles each time you press the button, so you simply make the action conditional on that flag.

This sort of button programming does mean editing the INI file. You'll find examples in the Documentation, Check the Advanced User's guide.

Regards

Pete

Me Too.

I am thinking I am too dumb to figure out the AUG.

What I would like to do is on say a Saitek X52 is hold down Button 6 and make available several other (already programmed buttons). Kind of like the Mode Switch on the X52 that now is nothing more than a lovely colored light that offers a great mood effect but little else. :blink:

This would be handy to turn on less used systems like lights, master switch, avionics switch, etc.

I spent the balance of the evening going over the AUG and to no avail. Google too.

I just cannot figure out the CU CP in other words...

16=H1,2,K69,8

17=H1,2,K49,8

Presses and holds the ‗E‘ key then presses and holds the ‗1‘ key, so both are pressed together. They are both released (in the same order) when the button is released.

18=P1,3,K69,8

19=P1,3,K49,8

20=P1,3,K50,8

21=P1,3,K51,8

22=P1,3,K52,8

Presses and releases ‗E‘, then ‗1‘, ‗2‘, ‗3‘, and ‗4‘ in rapid succession, selecting all Engines.

23=P2,3,K76,24

24=P2,3,K65,8

25=P2,3,K69,8

or

n=CP(+j2,b2)j,b, .... n=CU(+j2,b2)j,b, ... n=CP(–j2,b2)j,b, ... n=CU(–j2,b2)j,b, ... :blink: :shock: :???: :cry:

First is there an idiots guide to button codes? :mrgreen:

Second, can I even do what I want to do?

Thanks in advance :?: :smile:

Jet.

What I would like to do is on say a Saitek X52 is hold down Button 6 and make available several other (already programmed buttons).

Just add assignments in the INI which are conditional on Button 6. What is it about conditionals you don't understand?

I just cannot figure out the CU CP in other words...

16=H1,2,K69,8

17=H1,2,K49,8

Presses and holds the ‗E‘ key then presses and holds the ‗1‘ key, so both are pressed together. They are both released (in the same order) when the button is released.

18=P1,3,K69,8

19=P1,3,K49,8

20=P1,3,K50,8

21=P1,3,K51,8

22=P1,3,K52,8

Presses and releases ‗E‘, then ‗1‘, ‗2‘, ‗3‘, and ‗4‘ in rapid succession, selecting all Engines.

23=P2,3,K76,24

24=P2,3,K65,8

25=P2,3,K69,8

I'm afraid I cannot relate what you are doing there to what your first question or requirement was. How are these sequences anything to do with using Button 6 to do different things?

or

n=CP(+j2,b2)j,b, .... n=CU(+j2,b2)j,b, ... n=CP(–j2,b2)j,b, ... n=CU(–j2,b2)j,b, ... blink.gificon_eek.gificon_confused.gificon_cry.gif

Er, what is this bit for?

First is there an idiots guide to button codes? icon_mrgreen.gif

If you mean a list of Key codes, there's one in the Advanced User's guide. If you mean FS controls, those are in the "List of FS... Controls" installed in your FSUIPC documents folder.

Second, can I even do what I want to do?

Going back to your first 'request', to make actions from buttons depend on whether there are other buttons pressed, then: yes, of course. That's what the conditionals are mostly about. you can have conditions based on one or more buttons, oron button flags, or on offset values. There are examples in the documentation.

Unfortunately I cannot relate that request to the rest of your message though, which seems to have wandered elsewhere?

Pete

I assume you need a keypress because the applciation you are sending it to doesn't respond to controls? Pretty much all FS's own keys translate into FS controls.

If ou want to send keypresses from that part of FSUIPC you have to use one of the FSUIPC added command for sending keypresses. Please check the User Guide section on Axis assignments again. scroll down to the part beginning with this paragraph:

Yes, using button flags that is easy. In fact for all standard joystick buttons there's a button flag which toggles each time you press the button, so you simply make the action conditional on that flag.

This sort of button programming does mean editing the INI file. You'll find examples in the Documentation, Check the Advanced User's guide.

Regards

Pete

I assume you need a keypress because the applciation you are sending it to doesn't respond to controls?

Correct. It's the new PMDG NGX which does not respond to certain default FSX controls but has their own keyboard shortcuts to do things. In my case, I want to make the gear up/down/off functionality work with an axis to simulate the gear lever.

Pete, thanks for your replies. Now that it is confirmed that these things can be done, I will dig my head again into the users manual and study.

Just add assignments in the INI which are conditional on Button 6. What is it about conditionals you don't understand?

I'm afraid I cannot relate what you are doing there to what your first question or requirement was. How are these sequences anything to do with using Button 6 to do different things?

Er, what is this bit for?

If you mean a list of Key codes, there's one in the Advanced User's guide. If you mean FS controls, those are in the "List of FS... Controls" installed in your FSUIPC documents folder.

Going back to your first 'request', to make actions from buttons depend on whether there are other buttons pressed, then: yes, of course. That's what the conditionals are mostly about. you can have conditions based on one or more buttons, oron button flags, or on offset values. There are examples in the documentation.

Unfortunately I cannot relate that request to the rest of your message though, which seems to have wandered elsewhere?

Pete

I understand where it is now. In following how to try to attempt what I wanted to do from (how to get the most from your flight stick) it brought me directly to multi button programming. Skipping past the key definitions. Now I have something to work with.

Thanks Pete.