The simFlight Network Forums

Convert BCD to decimal for display [SOLVED]

Hello Mr. Dowson, I trust you had a good visit with your daughter. Welcome back! I need to be bailed out... again :(

OK, the short version:

I'm trying to use Lua script to display the XPDR feq on my GF-166. But I'm getting the raw BCD value. How do I convert a BCD value to decimal?

The long version:

I understand that offset x0354 is an unsigned 16bit word (two bytes). I understand that FS stores the value as a Binary Coded Decimal. I'd never heard of that so I Googled it.

I then conducted searches here and found that many people had the same problem I am.

I've tried searching through the forum at Luahub.com... nuthin.

You said in another post, something about "shifting the byes"... I don't know what that means and now, I can't find that post for reference.

I've set a GF button to set the XPDR to x1200. Which, GFConfig converts to "1200" for the display, but naturally when I use Lua I get 4608. FSUIPC changed the parameter of x1200 to 4608.

If I remember correctly, I read that the GFConfig software preferrs to "control" the modules and that it doesn't like to share.

On the same GF-166, I have a clock in one window and the XPDR in the other. I was using Lua script to run the clock and GFConfig to run the XPDR but FS kept crashing randomly. So I thought I'd try using Lua script to run the XPDR.

I'd appreciate any help you have to offer.

Why is it... When I post here and bother you, I solve my own problem.

I kept trying to convert BCD to Decimal. I found a converter online and discovered it nothing more then DEC2HEX!!!

I found a DEC2HEX function for Lua.

So I solved the puzzle!

Until next time,

I've set a GF button to set the XPDR to x1200. Which, GFConfig converts to "1200" for the display, but naturally when I use Lua I get 4608. FSUIPC changed the parameter of x1200 to 4608.

But since you want a string copy for display in any case it is easy, just use

string.format("%04X", value)

which will convert the number 0x1200 (or 4608) into the string "1200".

I found a DEC2HEX function for Lua.

So I solved the puzzle!

As short as the above solution?

Pete