The simFlight Network Forums

Won't install FSUIPC4

I bought the Superbug so I tried to download FSUIPC4. An error message came up, saying "Problem! Cannot edit the DLL.XML file to activate FSUIPC. Please check the documentation and install manually." First of all, I don't know how to do either of those things. -_- I also thought I should post my install log:

... NOT found! ...

Looking in registry for Prepar3D install path:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\LockheedMartin\Prepar3D

Parameter"AppPath"

Not there, so looking in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LockheedMartin\Prepar3D

Parameter"SetupPath"

... NOT found! ...

===========================================================

INSTALLATION FOR FSX:

AppPath="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"

Checking version of FSX.EXE:

... Version 10.0.61637.0 (Need at least 10.0.60905.0)

Checking compatibility with installed SimConnect:

Found SimConnect build 60905 (Original)

Found SimConnect build 61242 (SP1 May07)

Found SimConnect build 61259 (Acc/SP2 Oct07)

Checking if there's already a version of FSUIPC4 installed in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL

... Version 4.703 found.

FSX Modules folder already exists.

Okay -- installed FSUIPC4 into "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL"

Looking for the current user's Application Data path:

... but it isn't found!

I bought the Superbug so I tried to download FSUIPC4.

It certainly looks as if you succeeded in downloading FSUIPC4, else you wouldn't have been able to extract and run its installer.

An error message came up, saying "Problem! Cannot edit the DLL.XML file to activate FSUIPC. Please check the documentation and install manually." First of all, I don't know how to do either of those things. -_- I also thought I should post my install log:

That isn't the complete Install log -- it starts earlier and finishes later. Please laways post complete files as else I cannot tell you what to check and do.

Additionally it shows that FSUIPC4 was already installed:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL

... Version 4.703 found.

Okay -- installed FSUIPC4 into "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL"

The problem with the DLL.XML is because the path to your FSX.CFG file location isn't available:

... but it isn't found!

Did you install FSX for a single user, other than the one you are installing FSUIPC for? The FSX .CFG path, which is where the DLL.XML file would be placed or created, is in a folder like:

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

where the FSX user name goes in where it says <user name>.

Regards

Pete

Ok, sorry about the install log, and my word choice wasn't exactly correct. I was having trouble installing FSUIPC. Complete install log:

Installer for FSUIPC4.DLL version 4.703

Looking in registry for FSX install path:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0

Parameter"AppPath"

... >>> OK! FOUND FSX! <<< ...

Looking in registry for ESP install path:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft ESP\1.0

Parameter"AppPath"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft ESP\1.0

Parameter"SetupPath"

... NOT found! ...

Looking in registry for Prepar3D install path:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\LockheedMartin\Prepar3D

Parameter"AppPath"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LockheedMartin\Prepar3D

Parameter"SetupPath"

... NOT found! ...

===========================================================

INSTALLATION FOR FSX:

AppPath="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"

Checking version of FSX.EXE:

... Version 10.0.61637.0 (Need at least 10.0.60905.0)

Checking compatibility with installed SimConnect:

Found SimConnect build 60905 (Original)

Found SimConnect build 61242 (SP1 May07)

Found SimConnect build 61259 (Acc/SP2 Oct07)

... Version 4.703 found.

... but it isn't found!

I watched a video on how to find the FSX.CFG file, and I have the page with the FSX.CFG up. I only have FSX installed on this one user. What do I do now?

I watched a video on how to find the FSX.CFG file, and I have the page with the FSX.CFG up.

So, what is the folder path you found to the FSX.CFG file?

It should be

For Vista or Win7: C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

For XP: C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX

The FSUIPC installer finds it by using the system-wide generic name for the folder, %appdata%. I've never heard of this not working. If that doesn't give the correct folder then it seems likely that there is something wrong with your Windows installation. Have you, by any chance, stopped any Windows services thinking they were unnecessary?

What version of Windows is it? It looks like it must be XP. Is it updated? SP1, SP2? Or what?

Tell you what, try once more running the Installer, but this time right-click on it and select "Run as administrator". If that doesn't work I may have to ask you to run some experiments to find out what is wrong on your system.

[LATER]

After some more research I find that the %appdata% path (also known as CSIDL_APPDATA) was supported in Windows by Shlwapi.dll version 4.71 and later. Maybe somehow your Windows installation has somehow had that replaced by an older version? I just searched for that DLL on an XP system here and it was found in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. Mine is version 6.0.2900.5912 -- my XP system is fully updated including SP3, but I'm pretty sure all XP versions should be okay.

Regards

Pete

Hmmm... I think the path to the file is the first one. Whenever I attempt to install, Im running it as an administrator, and the error message still comes up. Could you maybe tell me how to install it manually? Because thats what the error message says, and I have no idea how to do that.

Hmmm... I think the path to the file is the first one. Whenever I attempt to install, Im running it as an administrator, and the error message still comes up. Could you maybe tell me how to install it manually? Because thats what the error message says, and I have no idea how to do that.

Did you find Shlwapi.dll? I think that must either be missing or corrupted, or a very very old version, in your windows installation.

Just to get FSUIPC4 loading you can try saving the text below into the same folder as FSX.CFG file as DLL.XML.

&lt;?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?&gt;
&lt;SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0"&gt;
  &lt;Descr&gt;Launch&lt;/Descr&gt;
  &lt;Filename&gt;dll.xml&lt;/Filename&gt;
  &lt;Disabled&gt;False&lt;/Disabled&gt;
  &lt;Launch.ManualLoad&gt;False&lt;/Launch.ManualLoad&gt;
  &lt;Launch.Addon&gt;
  	&lt;Name&gt;FSUIPC 4&lt;/Name&gt;
  	&lt;Disabled&gt;False&lt;/Disabled&gt;
  	&lt;Path&gt;Modules\FSUIPC4.dll&lt;/Path&gt;
  &lt;/Launch.Addon&gt;
&lt;/SimBase.Document&gt;

However, the problem needs resolving really. The Installer isn't continuing because it believes it cannot get FSUIPC4 to run without editing the DLL.XML file. So you aren't getting any FSUIPC documentation installed, nor will you ever be able to register it even if you wanted to.

I remain puzzled and want to resolve the real problem. I am going to make a new Installer which logs some extra information for me. Will you try that for me, please, even if you go get FSUIPC4 running with the above file?

[LATER]

Please download the new Installer for version 4.728, I've now provided in the Download Links subforum. Let me know if that works on your system. Either way I'd like to see the Install log file, please, as I still don't understand what is going wrong.

Regards

Pete

I downloaded the new FSUIPC4.728, and it doesn't give me the error that the other one would. However, it says that a problem has caused the installer to stop working, and it doesn't state the problem. Also, I was going to re-post my install log, but whenever I mouse over it, it is a glowing circle and I can't highlight anything.

I downloaded the new FSUIPC4.728, and it doesn't give me the error that the other one would. However, it says that a problem has caused the installer to stop working, and it doesn't state the problem. Also, I was going to re-post my install log, but whenever I mouse over it, it is a glowing circle and I can't highlight anything.

"Mouse over it" in Windows Explorer?

If Windows says there's a problem it can give more information. i need that information.

This is certainly looking more and more like a Windows system corruption, but I want to make sure it isn't something I can avoid in the Installer. I need the information for the "crash" which Windows is reporting, and I need to see the Log as far as it got.

Regards

Pete

Please download the new 4.728 installer again. I found a bug which should explain your problem.

Note that it now installs 4.728b, because that's my latest.

Regards

Pete

Is the FSUIPC4.728B installer the one that is one the Updated Module page in Download Links? If so then I tried and no dice.

What does "no dice" mean? You couldn't download it, or no log at all? If there's a log you can see if you downloaded 4.728b or not. If you haven't refreshed your cache you probably have the older one as the filename is the same. I'm afraid saying "no dice" is totally unhelpful.

Pete

Sorry-it meant that I downloaded it and the results were the same as the regular FSUIPC4.728, but where is the B version of the installer?

The link in Download Links provides the B version. If you used it and it still downloaded the older one then it is because your cache needs refreshing (Ctrl+F5).

Pete

Ive refreshed my cache, and I still got the very same results with version 4.728

You need 4.728b. If refreshing your cache doesn't work and you are still getting the old version, it is your ISP who is at fault. I cannot do anything about that. If you wait a day or two maybe they'll wake up.

Regards

Pete

Hmm...well for the last 3 days, I haven't been downloading the B version, and I've refreshed my cache (CTRL-F5). The version is still FSUIPC4.728.

Versions 4.729 and then 4.731 have been up since then (DLL only). The installer there is still 4.728b. No earlier version of FSUIPC4 is available at all -- in fact no sign of any earlier anywhere on the simFlight server. If your ISP isn't updating its files at all you should be complaining or changing ISPs. If it really never keeps its local cache up to date I'm surprised you could even get 4.728 -- the name of the main download ("FSUIPC4.ZIP") hasn't changed since first released in FSX Beta days years ago. Have you tried getting it from the main Schiratti site?

I'll be working on the updated Prepar3D when that's released, probably next week, then putting together a complete new release, installer included.

Pete

Wait...it installed correctly but when I try to install the Superbug, it says that it could not create the directory for the ProgramFiles(x86)MicrosoftGames/MicrosoftFlightSimulatorX/Simobjects/Airplanes and whatever else is in that. Also, it says Error 5: Access Denied

Wait...it installed correctly but when I try to install the Superbug, it says that it could not create the directory for the ProgramFiles(x86)MicrosoftGames/MicrosoftFlightSimulatorX/Simobjects/Airplanes and whatever else is in that. Also, it says Error 5: Access Denied

But that is absolutely nothing to do with FSUIPC or any software of mine. Probably you need to run its installer "as administrator" to give it privileges to access your Program Files folders, which are all protected by Windows from writing! Aren't there instructions with it?

Pete