The simFlight Network Forums

Installer Version 4.728 Problem

Hi Pete,

normaly I update my FSUIPC4 Version only by downloading the newest dll.

This time I tried the installer and he fails

Looking for the current user's Application Data path:

... but it isn't found!

Now finding G:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG for all users

But I have a german Windows XP and the right path must be

G:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Anwendungsdaten\Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG

In this case it is not the problem, that the installer couldn't edit the DLL.xml, cause FSUIPC4 is already in there.

normaly I update my FSUIPC4 Version only by downloading the newest dll.

This time I tried the installer and he fails

... but it isn't found!

But that part only fails if the request to Windows to supply the correct path fails.

But I have a german Windows XP and the right path must be

G:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Anwendungsdaten\Microsoft\FSX\ FSX.CFG

Fine, but the Installer cannot guess this, and if the earlier request to Windows to obtain the correct user AppPath fails, I have no other choice but to assume English/American, for i have no way of knowing what version is installed after such a failure.

Please, show me the whole of this Install Log, then try the original 4.70 Install and show me that log. I cannot see how this one can fail if the earlier one succeeds. It makes no sense. I only made the latter change to deal with the case that the original method, asking windows for the correct path, fails, as it has in the partial log you showed me.

In case you no longer have such an earlier installer, please get it via this link:

http://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/Install_FSUIPC470c.zip

Regards

Pete

I installed the 4.70 (I now it will not overwrite my newer version) and the Installer found the right path:

I attached the two logfiles but had to rename it to *.txt because *.log is permitted to upload here

Thank you.

I'm a bit bewildered now, because the part that does this:

... found as "G:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Roland P\Anwendungsdaten"

has not been changed -- at least not intentionally. The new code was to try the more likely folders when the Windows call to get that path failed!

I'll check it all again, here.

Regards

Pete

I'll check it all again, here.

Okay, fixed it I think. Somehow the uploaded version was my test version, with a deliberate fail on the first test to check the other path! Grr! Stupid!

Anyway, in retesting i did find another problem which would cause a crash on WinXP but not Vista or Win7.

Please download the updated installer, same place, same name, but now it installs 4.728b because that's where I'm up to!

Regards

Pete