The simFlight Network Forums

In and out of FSX

:angry: Hi,

Have looked everywhere for a solution to my problem, have not found one but I assume I can't be the only one.

When running FSX, sometimes (every hour or so) I have to check in with BAVirtual via their Pegasus software. To do this I have to minimise FSX, send a position report and then return to FSX. Since updating to Win 7 on an i7 machine this has been impossible to do by just clicking on the FSX icon in the taskbar. I have had to ALT, CTRL, DEL for the Task Manager then select FSX and click switch to. Even then it doesn't always work, I sometimes have to click on the screen several times. Very frustrating I can tell you!

Yesterday I formatted my HD installed Win 7 64 bit and today I set about installing FSX following downloaded instructions. I also had a frame rate issue so after every install I ran FSX and checked the frame rate. I also checked the minmise and rejoin method. This worked fine until I installed FSUIPC 4.70. Now I am strugging to get back into FSX as before. I also got/get a lot of FFSX has stopped working messages.

I steered clear of FSX for some time 'cos almost all my addons were for FS9 but when I upgraded to Win 7 and i7 with 6gig of RAM I thought FSX would be fine Ho Ho Ho. Moreover, FS 9 would crash after about 2 hours , so only short flights were any use.

I Hope someone can shed some light on my sorry tale, I have been using FS(4 to 10) for around 10 years now (or even longer!) but I have never had problems such as these.

Regards

Sam Sambrook

I

Have looked everywhere for a solution to my problem, have not found one but I assume I can't be the only one.

I've moved your post to the Support forum, which is where Support is available. For some reason you posted to the "FAQ" subforum which is a repository for the answers to Frequently Asked Questions. You are lucky i noticed it there.

When running FSX, sometimes (every hour or so) I have to check in with BAVirtual via their Pegasus software. To do this I have to minimise FSX, send a position report and then return to FSX.

How awful! What a spoiler for realism that must be! Can't they get their position reports directly?

Since updating to Win 7 on an i7 machine this has been impossible to do by just clicking on the FSX icon in the taskbar. I have had to ALT, CTRL, DEL for the Task Manager then select FSX and click switch to. Even then it doesn't always work, I sometimes have to click on the screen several times. Very frustrating I can tell you!

Hmm. Is this perhaps a video driver problem? You didn't leave your video system to the wiles of Microsoft's own drivers did you? The first thing to do after installing Windows 7 is to go get the latest drivers for your video card.

The only other alternative is to only ever run FSX in Windowed mode. Maximised it still gives the same sort of frame rates.

Yesterday I formatted my HD installed Win 7 64 bit and today I set about installing FSX following downloaded instructions. I also had a frame rate issue so after every install I ran FSX and checked the frame rate. I also checked the minmise and rejoin method. This worked fine until I installed FSUIPC 4.70. Now I am strugging to get back into FSX as before. I also got/get a lot of FFSX has stopped working messages.

FSUIPC won't have anything to do with any of that, I can assure you. The only way FSUIPC can mess anything up is if one of it's client applications does so, as FSUIPC is really basically a door into FS's innards.

If you have some actual technical information you can share about one or more of your many problems, maybe they can be dealt with if possible. You'll have to supply a list of all the addons you are using as it is most likely one of those causing problems -- maybe a combination. Just saying " now I am strugging to get back into FSX as before. I also got/get a lot of FFSX has stopped working messages." doesn't really draw any sort of picture. Are you running FSX or not? What does "struggling" mean?

If you really mean you can't run FSX at all, that it stops during initial load, then presumably you've looked at the FAQ subforum thread about that and tried everything it suggests? After all you did post in that Forum, so I assume you looked at it? You did say you "have looked everywhere for a solution to my problem". Did you actually look at the places which match your symptoms?

More details are needed I'm afraid. Also please state the actual version number of FSUIPC. Was it 4.70 or a later one? The current Installer installs 4.728, and there is a 4.731 now available in the Download Links subforum.

Pete

It's also worth remembering that if you get the plain black screen when re-selecting FSX after alt-tabbing out, for most people, simply pressing the 'enter' key when the black screen is visible will put you back into the sim.

Ian P.