The simFlight Network Forums

WideFS buttons

Hi Pete,

I have a Windows7 Ultimate 64bit FlightSim PC with FSX. FSUIPC and WIDEFS fully registred on that machine.

On my remote PC (Windows Vista) I have installed WideFS.

When I start WideFS on my romete PC all works fine with connections e.g. FSCommander,FSEarth, Multiplay, etc. Also I see that WideClient is connected (Top of FSX window)

But.... I have configure WFS also for button-use. Below you will see my WideClient.ini file.

; PLEASE SEE WideFS documentation for parameter details

; =====================================================

[Config]

Port=8002

Window=18,-2,886,576

Visible=Yes

ButtonScanInterval=20

ClassInstance=0

NetworkTiming=5,1

MailslotTiming=2000,1000

PollInterval=2000

Port2=9002

ResponseTime=18

ApplicationDelay=0

TCPcoalesce=No

WaitForNewData=500

MaxSendQ=100

OnMaxSendQ=Log

NewSendScanTime=50

Priority=3,1,2

[buttonScreen]

Size=4,5

0=T"Pause"

1=T"Slew"

2=B"Load Flight"

3=B"Save Flight"

4=B"Load Plan"

5=Ba"ESCape"

6=Bt"Cursor\rUp"

7=Ba"Home"

8=B"End Flight"

9=Bl"Cursor\rLeft"

10=B"Stop/Clr\r(Num 5)"

11=Br"Cursor\rRight"

12=B"Restart\rFlight"

13=Ba"ALT\r(to get to\rFS menus)"

14=Bb"Cursor\rDown"

15=Ba"End"

16=B"Return"

17=B"Space\rBar"

18=B"CowlFlaps Open"

19=B"CowlFlaps Close"

20=T"Pitot Heat"

21=T"Anti Ice"

22=Tltb"PushBck On/Off"

23=Ba"PushBck Stop"

24=Btb"PushBck Nose L"

25=Btbr"PushBck Nose R"

26=B"Change Aircraft"

27=B"KneeBoard"

28=B"Fuel & Payload"

29=B"Realisme Set"

30=B"Time and Season"

31=B"Select Airport"

32=B"Select Weather"

33=B"Scenery Library"

34=B"Track\Multiplayer"

35=B"Follow\Multiplayer"

; -----------------------------------------------

[user]

ButtonScreen=Yes

Log=Errors+

!Background=C:\Program Files\Wide FS\screen.bmp

; ===============================================

[sounds]

Path=C:\Program Files\Wide FS\Sound\

Device1=Primair geluidsstuurprogramma

Device2=Luidsprekers (Conexant High Definition SmartAudio HD2)

Device3=Luidsprekers (3- Avnera Audio Device)

BUT............... while all looks fine: Buttonscreen is correct etc, pushing the buttons result on no effect on FSX.

The WideClient.log file shows:

********* WideClient Log [version 6.86] Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 12/10/11, Time 14:13:22.492: Client name is ADPC02

1063 Attempting to connect now

1110 LUA: "C:\Program Files\WideFS\Initial.LUA": not found

2031 Server = ADPC01

2031 Trying TCP/IP host "ADPC01" port 8002 ...

2031 ... Okay, IP Address = 192.168.1.105

2047 Connection made okay!

Please can you tell me what I'm doeing wrong?

Kind geards, Ad

But.... I have configure WFS also for button-use. Below you will see my WideClient.ini file.

Yes, I see. You are using the ButtonScreen to send virtual buttons to FSUIPC for programming.

BUT............... while all looks fine: Buttonscreen is correct etc, pushing the buttons result on no effect on FSX.

Please can you tell me what I'm doeing wrong?

I suspect you've not yet programmed any of the buttons in FSUIPC's button assignment tab. All the WideClient INI file does is label them for you. You still have to do all the assignments. Nothing can work them out for you!

Pete

Yes, I see. You are using the ButtonScreen to send virtual buttons to FSUIPC for programming.

I suspect you've not yet programmed any of the buttons in FSUIPC's button assignment tab. All the WideClient INI file does is label them for you. You still have to do all the assignments. Nothing can work them out for you!

Pete

Hello Pete,

Thanks for your answer.

Now it works fine after I assigned the functions also in the buttons+switches tab.

Great! Thanks again!

Grtz, Ad

• 1 year later...

I have a Similar Question for the buttons

I have tried to assign the Buttons in FSUIPC addon in FSX and I cant seem to go deaper than one selection/menu

Ie I would like to setup a few short cuts to occur with the push of a button as a example I would like to change from day to night mode and this involves

Alt+W+T+N+enter and I cant get past Alt+W I have had a look at the FSUIPC Config.ini in the Modules folder and tried playing with the button setups

as a Example I have tried 6,p64,8,K87,84,78,13 also just 6,p64,8,K87,84 (with and without comas) but all I end up with is alt+w

I am hoping this can be done as it saves looking up FSX commands all the time.

I would also like to load default flights through the buttons as well ( these flights are pre saved flights and I have cut there load name down in size, you can see what I am trying to do by the discriptions below, so is this at all posable and how do I go about this.

I am not a Programer in any shap or form,

Pitot Heat and reset flight work just fine, to mention just 2 as these are just one button deep or are FSX Control codes

I have setup the Wide Client and have setup the screens as below plus the FSUIPC.INI BUTTONS EXAMPLE AS WELL

[buttonScreen]

Size=5,5

0=T"Pitot Heat"

1=B"Reset Flight"

2=B"Weather \rClear"

3=B"Weather \r Rain"

4=B"Aproach \rKai Tak Night"

5=B"Change \rto Morning"

6=B"Change \rto Day"

7=B"Change \rto Evening"

8=B"Change \rto Night "

9=B"Lukla Nepal"

10=B"Sydney \rYSSY"

11=B"London"

12=B"New York"

13=B"Paris"

14=B"Queenstown \rNZQN "

15=B"Perth 03 \rYPPH "

16=B"Aproach \rKai Tak day "

17=B"Slew \rup"

18=B"Slew \rDown"

19=B" Toggle \r Traffic "

20=B" "

21=B" "

22=B" "

23=B" "

24=N"Exit >"

25=B"Exit FS"

26=B"Shutdown PCs"

27=B" "

28=B" "

29=B" "

30=B" "

31=B" "

32=B" "

33=B" "

34=B" "

35=B" "

36=B" "

37=B" "

38=B" "

39=B" "

40=B" "

41=B" "

42=B" "

43=B" "

44=B" "

45=B" "

46=B" "

Buttons controls in the FSUPIC.ini file

[buttons]

Buttonrepeat=20,10

13=P64,0,C66072,0

14=U64,0,C66073,0

15=P64,1,C65591,0

16=P64,24,C65733,0

17=P64,25,Cx02003320,xABCD

21=PT,0,Cx02000BC8,x0007

22=UT,0,Cx02000BC8,x0000

23=RT,3,C65602,0

24=UT,3,C65697,0

25=PB,0,Cx02000BC8,x0007

26=UB,0,Cx02000BC8,x0000

27=PB,1,C66079,0

28=PB,2,C66080,0

29=RB,3,C65607,0

30=RB,4,C65615,0

31=PB,5,Cx02007370,x003C

32=RY,1,C65607,0

33=RY,0,C65615,0

34=RZ,1,C65607,0

35=RZ,0,C65615,0

37=PY,4,C65561,0

38=P64,2,W87,11

39=P64,19,C1009,0

I have tried to assign the Buttons in FSUIPC addon in FSX and I cant seem to go deaper than one selection/menu

Ie I would like to setup a few short cuts to occur with the push of a button as a example I would like to change from day to night mode and this involves

Alt+W+T+N+enter and I cant get past Alt+W I have had a look at the FSUIPC Config.ini in the Modules folder and tried playing with the button setups

as a Example I have tried 6,p64,8,K87,84,78,13 also just 6,p64,8,K87,84 (with and without comas) but all I end up with is alt+w

I don't know where you get the formats you are suggesting here from. What's the "6,"? Do you mean 6=?

One button assignment line can only include one control or one keypress. If you want the same button to do several things, they must be all on separate lines. They will be executed in order of the line number (the number before the =). Or alternatively you can construct a macro with the multiple entries invoked by one button assignment line. That's more efficient.

However, for manipulating FS Menus you need to realise that once a menu dialogue opens, FSUIPC isn't running anymore and cannot interpret more data or send more keypresses. FS's dialogues are like most other dialogues (including FSUIPC's own) -- they are "modal" which means all else stops whilst you deal with them.

If you send a sequence of keystrokes then some, maybe all if you are lucky, enter the keyboard buffer -- but not necessarily enough to carry over into the dialogue in order to accomplish what you want to do.

The only sure way is to program your button to invoke a Lua plug-in to do the job. Plug-ins can work because they are running in a separate thread and are still operating when FS is in a dialogue. Exaples of using plug-ins to operate FS dialogues are provided in the ZIP file in your FSUIPC Documents folder. Check the ones called "Fuel737.lua" and "Payload737.lua". These are good examples.

Regards

Pete

Also Peter one small issue that with *.lua files

I did not find this in any of the notes and it may trip people up in the future if you call a lua file say "switch to day.lua" this will not work at all in FSUIPC the file name must NOT have any spaces in the name ie switch-to-day.lua will work.

I was wondering what I was doing wrong they listed fine and showed up everywhere they were supose to but would not excecute. I looked at your example files and noticed that non had spaces in the name so I tryed removing the spaces and away it went. Just thought I would mention this as it could help other people out.

Anyway these lua files works really well and is a very quick way to change things with out lots of key strokes.

I did not find this in any of the notes and it may trip people up in the future if you call a lua file say "switch to day.lua" this will not work at all in FSUIPC the file name must NOT have any spaces in the name ie switch-to-day.lua will work.

Can you clarify, please? How are you running these? I'm not aware of any particular problems with spaces in the names, but maybe it's a peculiarity in only one area? Button assignment, macros, [Auto] sections, Lua calls in other Luas? Which?

Regards

Pete

Using buttons say I setup a lua file called Switch to daylight.lua in the Modules Dir of FSX then I restart FSX and I go to Addons and select it under the lua area where it apears all seems fine, However if I try to press the button in FSWide Client that I am using nothing happens. change the name to Switch-to-daylight.lua reload FSx and reselect the button to the new name then it works.

hope this clarifiys it for you

Regards Paul

Using buttons say I setup a lua file called Switch to daylight.lua in the Modules Dir of FSX then I restart FSX and I go to Addons and select it under the lua area where it apears all seems fine, However if I try to press the button in FSWide Client that I am using nothing happens. change the name to Switch-to-daylight.lua reload FSx and reselect the button to the new name then it works.

I've tested this here, both for button and key assignment, including assignment to buttons on WideFS client PCs, and I cannot make it go wrong with spaces in the name. I'm wondering now if you have an older version of FSUIPC4 installed. Could you please confirm you are using at least 4.853, and if not update. If so, download the very latest from the Download Links subforum and try that.

Regards

Pete

running 4.853

The wide Client is FS98

Have also noticed and this may also be the issue that if the file name is long IE Major-Thunderstorms.lua then when you select it using buttons the file under lua is

luaMajor-Thundersto and after you select it it will not work.

Dont get me wrong here There is no issue my end as its working just fine for me I just make sure that the name has no spaces and that the file name length is less than 16 charactors.

However I am happy to help out and to test etc so that you can replicate the issue hour end otherwise you will have no hope of fixing the issue.

The wideServer dll file date is 14 May 2011

Wide Client FS98 File Date is 14 May 2011

These maybe to old and I have not updated them as everything is working well execpt for the above files issue

Regards

Paul

The wide Client is FS98

That's not a version number! ;-). It will be 6.9 something I expect. "FS98" is a version of FS which first appeared in 1997 and upon which the whole FSUIPC offset interface is based.

Have also noticed and this may also be the issue that if the file name is long IE Major-Thunderstorms.lua then when you select it using buttons the file under lua is

luaMajor-Thundersto and after you select it it will not work.

There is a limit on the filename length which can be used . The Lua facility was built into the existing Macro facilities in FSUIPC and uses the same tables. There's a limit of 16 characters. The name is truncated in the [LuaFiles] section in the INI file and in the drop-down list on screen, but the other characters are thereby lost so the file cannot be loaded. Just take care to make sure the name in the drop down does actually match your filename. I think I will change the way the list is built so that invalid names are never listed and therefore cannot be assigned -- it'ds never caused a notified problem till now.

Spaces are okay, no trouble. It is only the length restriction.

I thought this was clearly documented but I must admit I can't see it explicitly anywhere for Lua files, only for Macro files. Apologies. This omission will be corrected in the next Lua package update.

Regards

Pete