The simFlight Network Forums

Multiple monitors set-up LUA?

Pete,

Running 6 touch screens with the PMDG 737ngx in Prepar3d. We have them working, but are wondering, is there a LUA or another type of script that could be written to assign various panels to the monitors so we didn't have to sit and physically drag panels to monitors every time we boot up? It would be great to be able to write several scripts, one for each type of aircraft flown, so that there could be a set-up for a Baron, a Concorde, a 737, etc.

Justin

Running 6 touch screens with the PMDG 737ngx in Prepar3d. We have them working, but are wondering, is there a LUA or another type of script that could be written to assign various panels to the monitors so we didn't have to sit and physically drag panels to monitors every time we boot up?

I thought that one of the big "fixes" in Prepar3D over FSX and ESP was the handling of multiple displays, and that it did all this for you.

The Lua ext library, added in the most recent update (4.747) can position and size UNDOCKED panel windows on specific monitors. So you could do it by saving flights with the panel windows undocked (they come back that way too), and having Lua scripts running via aircraft- or profile-specific [Auto] sections which then move the undocked windows around (identified by title). You need also to download the Lua library package (again), for the updated documentation.

I've not found a way (yet) of operating the 'dock' and 'undock' options on panels by program, but I am working on it. I think it should work via a WM_COMMAND message, as that's normally how pop-up menus operate, so I'm experimenting down that route.

[LATER]

Your inquiry spurred me on. I've found out how to Undock a specific docked but visible panel window, as long as you know its name (title). So I'll be adding an ipc.undock function in the next update. (No "dock" or "re-dock" though -- can't find how to do thast. But I doubt that's so important).

Regards

Pete

HI Pete,

Reading this post is very interesting for me, I have 4 displays (32" TV's) that I can create windows and resize them to create an outside cockpit view.

But after saving the flight and loading the saved file, FSX does not remember where the displays where allocated, so my questions:

1. would this ula scrip work in the same way to assign my displays again?

2. Where could I find the ipc.undock example? the available version for download is 4.70(b)and not 4.747! (unless im looking in the wrong place)

Thanks in advance for the help with this :) its proving to be a bit headache for me!!

1. would this ula scrip work in the same way to assign my displays again?

The Lua ext library will position and size undocked FS windows consistently as you wish. All you need to know is the title of each Window, as shown in the undocked title bar.

2. Where could I find the ipc.undock example? the available version for download is 4.70(b)and not 4.747! (unless im looking in the wrong place)

The file downloadable from the Schiratti site is actually 4.745 -- the text hasn't been updated there. It isn't my site and I have no control. I'll get that sorted when I manage to get all the documentation fully updated and release a version 4.80.

Meanwhile this forum and its subforums are under my control (within reason), and you'll find updated versions like 4.747 and the updated Lua package in the Download Links subforum, along with lots of other useful stuff. Please do browse the subforums, seems a lot of folks miss out on them altogether, which is a shame.

Regards

Pete