The simFlight Network Forums

Aircraft profile nesting?

Hi Pete,

I'm working on cleaning up my button assignments in FSUIPC.ini. There are some button assignments common to all my aircraft. Then there are many buttons common to a class of aircraft (all props, for instance). Finally, there are a few buttons for a specific aircraft (such as a Grumman Goose or the Pitts).

What I wonder is if I can assign the common buttons under the [buttons] section, then others under a [buttons.props] profile, using the names of all relevant aircraft, then a [buttons.goose] profile with only the Grumman Goose listed. Can an aircraft name, such as the goose, appear in two profiles?

Thanks,

Scott

What I wonder is if I can assign the common buttons under the [buttons] section, then others under a [buttons.props] profile, using the names of all relevant aircraft, then a [buttons.goose] profile with only the Grumman Goose listed. Can an aircraft name, such as the goose, appear in two profiles?

Sorry, no. The matching process finds the entry with the longest match. It would make things far too complicated to do what you ask, though I do understand it very well. It would involve all sorts of questionable decisions, like which takes precedence when there are assignments to the same button? Also, the code in this area has already grown far too complex and I can't risk introducing errors at this stage. I am still adding new facilities, where existing code isn't unduly affected, but that's about it. FSUIPC has been growing like topsy for many years now. I have to be very selective.

Obviously it doesn't matter with different buttons, but i assume you are re-using the same buttons for different things? If the things they do have a null effect on the wrong aircraft, you could get away with multiple assignments to the same button -- so that all of its meanings are sent when you press it. However, if that's at all harmful for the wrong aircraft that is obviously not on.

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete,

As a follow up question, are the button assignments under the [buttons] header applied to all aircraft, regardless of profile? This by itself would reduce the listings considerably.

That's an interesting idea about the redundant assignments, I'll have to give that some consideration.

Thanks again,

Scott

As a follow up question, are the button assignments under the [buttons] header applied to all aircraft, regardless of profile?

Yes, providing they aren't overridden in the applied profile. There is a clear priority order there. The [buttons] section is all loaded first, then the relevant profile section, with buttons already assigned from [buttons] being replaced.

Pete

Hi Pete,

I'm using conditional buttons in my setup, and define an "unshifted" command (11=CP(-B,0)B,34,K123,8) in the [buttons] section. When I define a "shifted command" (15=CP(+B,0)B,34,C66301,0) in a profile, it overrides my unshifted command. If I redefine (11=CP(-B,0)B,34,K123,8) in the profile, both work properly.

I just wanted to check that this is working as intended. I expect it is...

Thanks,

Scott

Hi Pete,

I'm using conditional buttons in my setup, and define an "unshifted" command (11=CP(-B,0)B,34,K123, :cool: in the [buttons] section. When I define a "shifted command" (15=CP(+B,0)B,34,C66301,0) in a profile, it overrides my unshifted command. If I redefine (11=CP(-B,0)B,34,K123, :cool: in the profile, both work properly.

I just wanted to check that this is working as intended. I expect it is...

Yes it it. Any use of a button in a profile overrides any use of the same button in the generic section. Any other system is simply too complicated not only to program but also to unravel when you get it wrong.

Regards

Pete