The simFlight Network Forums

Experiencing stuttering in FS9 with FSUIPC

Hello Pete,

hello community,

I also have this stuttering issue with FSUIPC which has been mentioned here several times before. I am using an unregistered copy of FSUIPC 3.998n with FS9.1 on my PC (Intel i7-2600, 4 GB RAM, ASUS P8P67 MB, EVGA 560TI, Windows 7 Prof. 64 Bit).

Since I updated my system two years ago I am experiencing stutters with certain aircrafts and was therefore so frustrated that I finished using Flight Simulator. Nevertheless, from time to time I tried to find the solution and it seems that I finally found the (root) cause.

Recently I installed a pure FS 9 version. Locked at 30 FPS (my screen is using 60 Hz) and performed some taxiing on the ground (low graphic settings, using the default Cessna R172 and the default B737). Everything is smooth.

Now I installed the FS 9.1 update. Again, smooth.

The next one to be installed was the actual FSUIPC version and experienced a very unsmooth sequence of frames (stuttering). I went back and deleted all FSUIPC related files which resulted in a very smooth taxiing again. A following installation of FSUIPC brought me back the heavy stutters.

The crazy about that is that it only affects the B737 and not the Cessna (I don’t know yet whether other default planes are affected). Also planes like the PMDG 737NG or PMDG 747-700 are hit. Additionally, I noticed locking fps at 60 eliminates the stuttering. But unfortunately this is no option for me because my machine is not able to keep the 60 FPS at any situation.

What is going on there? I also added the brief fsuipc.log file.

Hopefully, you can give me back my hobby :razz:

Thanks in advance……

Best regards,

Tobias

********* FSUIPC, Version 3.998n by Pete Dowson *********

Running on Windows Version 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2

Verifying Certificate for "D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\MODULES\FSUIPC.DLL" now ...

SUCCESS! Signature verifies okay!

Running inside FS2004 (FS9.1 CONTROLS.DLL, FS9.1 WEATHER.DLL)

User Name=""

User Addr=""

FSUIPC not user registered

WIDEFS not user registered, or expired

Module base=61000000

WeatherReadInterval=4

LogOptions=00000001

DebugStatus=0

437 System time = 06/01/2012 15:32:45

437 D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\

437 System time = 06/01/2012 15:32:45, FS2004 time = 12:00:00 (00:00Z)

718 FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIM.flt

718 AIRCRAFT\c172\Cessna172SP.air

3058 C:\Users\Tobias\Documents\Flight Simulator-Dateien\Von der Benutzeroberfläche erzeugter Flug.flt

5476 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled

8799 Traffic File #14 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic030528"

14524 AIRCRAFT\b737_400\Boeing737-400.air

124068 System time = 06/01/2012 15:34:49, FS2004 time = 15:34:23 (23:34Z)

124068 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

Memory managed: 0 Allocs, 1386 Freed

********* FSUIPC Log file closed ***********

I also have this stuttering issue with FSUIPC which has been mentioned here several times before.

Sorry, I am not aware of any stuttering with FSUIPC. Can you give some references?

A following installation of FSUIPC brought me back the heavy stutters.

In that case something you have installed is causing the stutters and it uses FSUIPC and doesn't run, or doesn't run correctly, when FSUIPC isn't available.

Hopefully, you can give me back my hobby :razz:

I don't know what you have wrong, but there are thousands of FSUIPC3 users, with and without registrations, who do not have any such problems. In fact, if FSUIPC is truly not registered it isn't doing anything EXCEPT servicing applications which use it. i think that's where you need to look. For instance the PMDG aircraft you mention are FSUIPC users -- and in fact have a DLL running even when those aircraft are not being used. Look in your FS Modules folder, see what other non-FS DLLs you have running.

Regards

Pete

Sorry, I am not aware of any stuttering with FSUIPC. Can you give some references?

In that case something you have installed is causing the stutters and it uses FSUIPC and doesn't run, or doesn't run correctly, when FSUIPC isn't available.

I don't know what you have wrong, but there are thousands of FSUIPC3 users, with and without registrations, who do not have any such problems. In fact, if FSUIPC is truly not registered it isn't doing anything EXCEPT servicing applications which use it. i think that's where you need to look. For instance the PMDG aircraft you mention are FSUIPC users -- and in fact have a DLL running even when those aircraft are not being used. Look in your FS Modules folder, see what other non-FS DLLs you have running.

Regards

Pete

Thanks for rapid reply.

My references:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/68834-trying-to-hunt-down-fs9-stutters/page__hl__stuttering__fromsearch__1

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/64401-fsx-interrupts-every-5sec-with-fsuipc-installed/page__hl__stuttering__fromsearch__1

I had not installed anything after or before I installed FSUIPC. I am talking about a pure FS 9.1 isntallation. No additional tools, sceneries, aircrafts or modules are installed. Yes, I have tested it with PMDG planes. But I had conducted a complete new installation with no PMDG fragments on my system and the problem appeared right after I had installed FSUIPC. Eliminating FSUIPC brings me back a smooth gameplay.

Regards,

Tobias

My references

One of those is to do with some problem with FSX, not FS9. They are totally different.

The FS9 one refers to "microstutters" and "stuttering every 5-10 seconds", but it doesn't mention whether there's one micro-jerk or losts of little ones within a second every 5-10 seconds. So the cause is inderterminable from the information available. Since he wasn't using FSUIPC, apparently, in any case, he never came back with any answers.

I had not installed anything after or before I installed FSUIPC. I am talking about a pure FS 9.1 isntallation. No additional tools, sceneries, aircrafts or modules are installed. Yes, I have tested it with PMDG planes. But I had conducted a complete new installation with no PMDG fragments on my system and the problem appeared right after I had installed FSUIPC. Eliminating FSUIPC brings me back a smooth gameplay.

Hmmm. sorry, then. I can only think that the slightly different memory configuration FS9 will take with FSUIPC installed causes use of some memory which is behaving badly.

Can you nail down these stutters to a specific number and interval, or are they random? If random, what sort of average frequency? How long does each stutter last?

There are some very quick but regular activities even an unregistered FSUIPC will do in order to have data available to applications requesting it. One of these is reading AI traffic data for the TCAS tables. You can stop this by adding or changing this parameter in the [general] section of the INI file:

TrafficScanPerFrame=0

see if that helps, though I must say the default has never been known to cause stutters that I know of.

You can also stop it getting weather information from FS by setting

WeatherReadInterval=32

The only other regular activities are only enabled in a Registered installation.

Pete