The simFlight Network Forums

Project Storm Scope to MSFSX

I am developing a Scope to MSFSX Storm, but I can not get the status of the cloud.

I'm using SimConnect for data and function: SimConnect_WeatherRequestCloudState

Below is the code, note that the "pWxData-> rgbData" is always zero.

Please friends, can someone save me ?

I don't think there will be many SimConnect programmers coming here. You might be better off in the SimConnect forum at AVSIM.

But: I did try sing this facility once -- with FSX + Acceleration. It seemed to only ever return the 64 x 64 byte array all zeros but with rectangular areas filled with 0xFF's -- no other values, only 0s and 255's. And I couldn't really match what was there very well with what I saw in any case. I gave it up as being less than useful. If you can make it work I'd be delighted to know how.

I only did it with ranges of 1 to 64 nms, in powers of 2. You are using 2 degrees, so 120 nm (in latitude anyway). And I had an alttude range of 2000 feet rather than your 9000. I don't know if these things makes a difference, but it might be worth experimenting. I think it only covers the area known as the "reality bubble" in any case, which would limit it to 80 nm from your location at max. Maybe you should try something smaller? (For radar on an ND set to something larger you could pad the far areas with guesses based on WX station readings -- programs like SA_WXR make their scopes using WX station readngs only).

Check that the array size you get is 64 x 64, just to make sure it is actually supplying the data. And there's no need to "switch" on, or even check, the requestID if you only have one cloud state request -- the return of a SIMCONNECT_RECV_ID_CLOUD_STATE must be the one you asked for.

Regards

Pete

Hello friends.

I tried everything to get the power status of the cloud around the aircraft to create a StormScope, but so far without success.

Below is the code, everything works normally step around the range and altitude of the aircraft of the same, but the array of 64x64 rgbData always been zero. I do not know what else to do. Any hint or help will be very grateful. My little one StormScope project is stopped because of it. After all have any other way to get the status of the clouds by FSUIPC or other library?

I need help from friends.

//----------------------------------------------------------

case SIMCONNECT_RECV_ID_CLOUD_STATE:

{

SIMCONNECT_RECV_CLOUD_STATE* pWxData = (SIMCONNECT_RECV_CLOUD_STATE*) pData;

printf("%d\n", pWxData->dwArraySize); // OK. Returns 4096 = 64x64

for (int x=0; x < pWxData->dwArraySize; x++ )

{

if ( pWxData->rgbData[x] != 0 )

{

printf("pos:%d, val:%d :]\n", x, pWxData->rgbData[x]);

}

}

break;

}

I tried everything to get the power status of the cloud around the aircraft to create a StormScope, but so far without success.

Below is the code, everything works normally step around the range and altitude of the aircraft of the same, but the array of 64x64 rgbData always been zero. I do not know what else to do. Any hint or help will be very grateful. My little one StormScope project is stopped because of it. After all have any other way to get the status of the clouds by FSUIPC or other library?

No, I don't know of any other way, and I don't think the Simconnect way is any good either -- that's why I gave up trying to provide it as an FSUIPC facility. I supsect there is a way if you hack into the code, as I think possibly Jean-Luc did for his RXP weather gauge -- he did that before the SimConnect facilitiy was available.

Are you definitely using FSX with SP2 or Acceleration installed? I'm reasonably sure it didn't work at all before that in any case.

Regards

Pete

Hello friend Pete Dowson.

Thanks again for your help.

I am using FSX with Acceleration Pack.

I'll try a test, running FSX pure, then try SP1 SP2 then try to uninstall SP2 to install the Acceleration Pack and see what happens.

Now comes the big question.

As the staff develops Storm Scope WX do?? Scope of the Storm has the Reality XP and seems to work very well, which is the magic? And so many other FS addons for this functionality.

I'm stuck on this problem. The software is montadinho, you just need to come in that chain of data bytes in 64x64 and nothing else! hahauhauha

hugs

Undo edits

I am using FSX with Acceleration Pack.

As am I. So I don't understand why you get no cloud maps. Have you tried smaller areas? I think your 2 degrees x 2 degrees is too big -- bigger than the area FS populates with clouds in any case. Also try less altitude.

I'll try a test, running FSX pure, then try SP1 SP2 then try to uninstall SP2 to install the Acceleration Pack and see what happens.

Not sure that's worth doing in view of the above.

As the staff develops Storm Scope WX do?? Scope of the Storm has the Reality XP and seems to work very well, which is the magic?

As I said, i think the author of the RealityXP one hacked into FS for the information, not using any SimConnect facility.

And so many other FS addons for this functionality.

Most others I know just use local weather reports, taking samples by reading the interpolated weather over a matrix of lat/lon points. This was done with FS9 too, before any SimConnect.

Regards

Pete