The simFlight Network Forums

Module menu in fs2004 for registering FSUIPC?

I am unable to open the module menu using the "ALT" key. Is there some kind of bind in the .cfg file that messed this up? I need to register the FSUIPC so I can use my flight link yoke, rudders, and power quadrant. Any help would be much appreciated!

Sincerely,

-SDK

I am unable to open the module menu using the "ALT" key. Is there some kind of bind in the .cfg file that messed this up?

The ALT key does not open the Modules menu, it merely displays the FS menu, from which you will be able to select the Modules menu by the letter "M" (or use the mouse).

Do you not even see the FS menu, the one beginning "Flights ..."?

If not you have a big FS problem. If you do, and there is no "Modules" menu near the end of the list, then either you have not installed FSUIPC.DLL in the FS Modules folder, or you are running something like WindowsBlinds which prevents anything altering FS's menus. The latter problem is addressed in the Announcements at the top of this forum, and in the latest FSUIPC documentation (3.05).

Regards,

Pete

When I hit the ALT button, I do not even get a FS menu. So therefore I cannot bring up the module menu. However, I am not running windowblinds. I did successfully put the FSUIPC.DLL file into the module folder, so the only thing I can think of is that some files were corrupted during the installation. Should I just re-install?

Sincerely,

-SDK

UPDATE: I unistalled FS and reinstalled it, and now I can access the fs menu however, it is not accesable; I cannot open anything, e.g. file, help, tools etc. How do I go about openening those?

I am sorry, I never heard of any such problem with FS before. Unless anyone else here can jump in and help, I think you need to get on to Microsoft support. Evidently you have something in your system which is interacting very oddly with FS.

Sorry I cannot help from here. Please do let us know how you get on. You need FS to work before trying to use FSUIPC, or any other add-on really.

Regards,

Pete

Ok, new status: I am able to access the menubar, but there is no Module selection. I do not run windowblinds, and I HAVE installed the FSUIPC.DLL into the modules folder. I'm not sure what's going on. I would really like to get this system up and running. Pete, do you have anytype of messanger program that I could contact you with? Any help is MUCH appreciated.

Sincerely,

-SDK

Ok, new status: I am able to access the menubar, but there is no Module selection.

So what did you do different, this time? Maybe that's the clue?

I do not run windowblinds, and I HAVE installed the FSUIPC.DLL into the modules folder. I'm not sure what's going on. I would really like to get this system up and running.

Well, maybe there are other programs too that do this. Windowblinds is the only one folks have told me about. Try closing down any other add-ons you have running. The utility "EndItAll" is good for that. It has got to be one of them.

Pete, do you have anytype of messanger program that I could contact you with?

What's a "messenger" program? Is this contact not good enough. Sorry, I don't understand.

Regards,

Pete

How do I run the utility "EndItAll"?

By messanger program I mean: AIM, MSN, YAHOO. Some type of real time conversation service. I am very anxious to get this program running. I don't know what else to do. I am at a rut in the road.

Sincerely,

-SDK

How do I run the utility "EndItAll"?

I think you just execute it and it tells you. It comes with some documentation.

By messanger program I mean: AIM, MSN, YAHOO. Some type of real time conversation service.

Sorry, I do not do such things. In fact I am off-line for a while now. It is Sunday evening, one of the few times I relax a little.

Regards,

Pete

Well, Pete, I did not mean to consume ALL of your time. All I wanted was some help in figuring out why the hell your .dll's wont work with my sim. I have tried the KillAll utility, and ran it. This did not work. But I have a question: Is it possible the the LSA Shell (lsass.exe) is preventing the FSUICP.DLL from properly working?

Sincerely,

-SDK

Is it possible the the LSA Shell (lsass.exe) is preventing the FSUICP.DLL from properly working?

Hmmm. Why didn't you kill that as suggested? What is it in any case?

Sorry I have never heard of it. But if it is fiddling with the operating system shell, much as WindowBlinds does, it is certainly a prime suspect.

Please let us know what it is and whether it is the culprit!

Regards,

Pete

I am unable to kill the LSA Shell because it is "locked" in terms of the killall utility. I also tried deleting it (of course I backed it up first), but the comp wont let me delete it either. I'm really stumped now. I've done everything that was suggested, search many forums (high and low), and it still doesn't work. I'm about ready to send the damn thing back.

Sincerely,

-SDK

I am unable to kill the LSA Shell because it is "locked" in terms of the killall utility. I also tried deleting it (of course I backed it up first), but the comp wont let me delete it either. I'm really stumped now.

You can unlock things in the Enditall utility, it simply warns you it is at your own risk. I don't know killall. Or you can simply use the Task Manager -- press Ctrl-Alt-Del, find the LSA Shell process, select it and delete it. At the worst you will simply crash the system and have to re-boot.

Anyway, what IS this "LSA Shell"? How did you install it? What does it do?

You shouldn't simply try deleting things, it may make it worse, more difficult to uninstall because you can lose the uninstall script for it.

You could go to Start menu-Control Panel-Add/Remove programs, and see if it is listed there so you can remove it.

If it is installable it should be uninstallable. If not whoever designed it should be made to eat it or something.

Please keep us informed. We need to know these sorts of things so we can warn others.

Thanks,

Pete

P.S. In the case of WindowBlinds, you could tell it not to apply its workings to specific applications, so you'd tell it not to mess with FS. I don't know what your LSA Shell is doing, but check to see if it has similar options to avoid messing with selected programs.

Well, LSA Shell is on every computer (i believe). IT is found under your Windows\system32 directory. the file is called lsass.exe and there is a lsass.dll too. Maybe ill see if I can unlock it and try to open the flight sim again. Thanks for the help. I'll keep you updated.

Sincerely,

SDK

*EDIT*

Update: I am unable to kill the LSA Shell. You cannot unlock it either using EndItAll. I tried executing the program and nothing happens. I also tried cntrl+alt+delete and ending it that way, but that also did not work... Im all out of ideas and open to any suggestions.

Well, LSA Shell is on every computer (i believe). IT is found under your Windows\system32 directory. the file is called lsass.exe and there is a lsass.dll too. Maybe ill see if I can unlock it and try to open the flight sim again.

Oh, sorryyes, I see it here too. LSASS.EXE is running. I've no idea what it is for, but it isn't interfering with FS or anything else here.

So that was a red herring, sorry. Back to square one I'm afraid.

Somehow something is stopping things changing your FS's menu. So far in 4 years the only thing I've known to do that is WindowBlinds, so I'm stuck.

Look in the FS Modules folder. Is there an FSUIPC.INI and FSUIPC.LOG file? Can you show them to me please?

Regards,

Pete

Here is the log file, straight from c:\programfiles\microsoftgames\FS2004\modules:

********* FSUIPC, Version 3.05 by Pete Dowson *********

User Name=""

User Addr=""

FSUIPC not user registered

WIDEFS not user registered, or expired

Module base=00DE0000

ClassOptions: UIPCMAIN=FF7F, FS98MAIN=FF7F, FS2KMAIN=FF5E

WeatherOptions(Orig)=0000B027[0000B027]

InitDelay: 3 seconds

1763 System time = 08:52:38

Internal Debug Code 0

1763 E:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\

3465 FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIM.flt

3515 AIRCRAFT\c172\Cessna172SP.air

4186 Client Application: "FLControl" (Id=3008)

4186 E:\Program Files\Flight Link\FLControl.exe

4186 Product="Flight Link Control Center"

4186 Company="Flight Link, Inc."

4917Program not accredited for use with this unregistered FSUIPC

5428 System time = 08:52:42, FS2004 time = 08:52:41 (15:52Z)

7691 ### IPC Message processed in 2774mSecs ###

305770 System time = 08:57:42, FS2004 time = 08:52:41 (15:52Z)

305770 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

Memory managed: 10892 Allocs, 10892 Freed

********* FSUIPC Log file closed ****

----------------------------------------------------------------

Here is another file named FSUIPC, it was a notepad file:

[General]

History=WOC40DYCW6AL4S3ZN2UE5

TCASid=Flight

TCASrange=40

TrafficScanPerFrame=10

AxisCalibration=No

CentredDialogue=Yes

ClearWeatherDynamics=Yes

MainMenu=&Modules

SubMenu=&FSUIPC

OwnWeatherChanges=No

-------------------------------------------------------

Other than that, the only other FSUIPC named file is the .dll.

Thanks for your help and patience, Pete.

Sincerely,

-SDK

The log file shows

Just temporarily, could you not run this please so we can check things straight.

Also see if there are any other add-in DLLs in the Modules folder apart from FSUIPC. If so, remove those too. If you aren't sure, insert the little BAT file from the attached ZIP into the Modules folder, then run it (double click it in Explorer). It will make a little file called Dir.txt. Show me that.

Here is another file named FSUIPC, it was a notepad file:

That's the FSUIPC.INI file. It sounds as if you have got Windows set to hide file extensions from you. I do hate that, it means you really can't tell what's what so easily.

Anyway, another thing you could try, though I don't hold out a lot of hope, is to change this line:

MainMenu=&Modules

to

MainMenu=&Flights

for example. This will tell FSUIPC to add its menu to the Flights menu instead of creating a Modules menu and adding it there.

If there's something preventing the menus being changed in any case, this won't work either. But let's see ...

It's late here now (3 am), so I'm off to bed. I will check this thread in the morning.

Regards,

Pete

ListDir.zip

Ok, newest update as of Sunday 8/24:

I changed the MainMenu=&Modules - to - MainMenu=&Flight

This did not work. So I am assuming that something is keeping FSUIPC from changing the menu.

I also unzipped your attachment and placed it into the Module folder. This is what I got from the dir.txt file:

Volume in drive C has no label.

Volume Serial Number is 44A9-FCC3

Directory of C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Modules

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 90,112 ABLSCPT.DLL

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 90,112 ACONTAIN.DLL

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 118,784 AI_PLAYR.DLL

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 311,296 ATC.DLL

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 167,936 CONTROLS.DLL

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 73,728 DEMO.DLL

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 16,384 DYNAMIC.DLL

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 212,992 FACILITIES.DLL

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 102,400 FE.DLL

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 135,168 FLIGHT.DLL

08/22/2003 02:04 PM 210,688 FSUIPC.dll

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 950,272 G2D.DLL

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 487,424 G3D.DLL

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 8,704 GLOBAL.DLL

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 110,592 gps.DLL

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 6,144 gps_export.DLL

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 13,824 INSTRUCTOR.DLL

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 192,512 MAIN.DLL

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 9,216 mpchat.DLL

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 114,688 MULTIPLAYER.DLL

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 409,600 PANELS.DLL

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 7,168 REALITY.DLL

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 602,112 SIM1.dll

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 14,848 SimScheduler.DLL

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 73,728 SOUND.DLL

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 159,744 SYMMAP.DLL

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 393,216 TERRAIN.DLL

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 39,936 Traffic.DLL

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 131,072 UTIL.DLL

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 208,896 VISUALFX.DLL

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 229,376 Weather.DLL

06/12/2003 08:36 PM 73,728 WINDOW.DLL

32 File(s) 5,766,400 bytes

0 Dir(s) 28,940,095,488 bytes free

-----------------------------------------------------------

In addition, here is the log without Flight Center running:

********* FSUIPC, Version 3.05 by Pete Dowson *********

User Name=""

User Addr=""

FSUIPC not user registered

WIDEFS not user registered, or expired

Module base=00DE0000

ClassOptions: UIPCMAIN=FF7F, FS98MAIN=FF7F, FS2KMAIN=FF5E

WeatherOptions(Orig)=0000B027[0000B027]

InitDelay: 3 seconds

1763 System time = 08:52:38

Internal Debug Code 0

1763 E:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\

3465 FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIM.flt

3515 AIRCRAFT\c172\Cessna172SP.air

5428 System time = 08:52:42, FS2004 time = 08:52:41 (15:52Z)

7691 ### IPC Message processed in 2774mSecs ###

305770 System time = 08:57:42, FS2004 time = 08:52:41 (15:52Z)

305770 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

Memory managed: 10892 Allocs, 10892 Freed

********* FSUIPC Log file closed ****

------------------------------------------

That log was without Flight Center running. For some reason it still wants to show up...?

Sincerely,

-SDK

I changed the MainMenu=&Modules - to - MainMenu=&Flight

This did not work.

I am not surprised. I think the Flights menu is called "Flights" not "Flight", isn't it?

I also unzipped your attachment and placed it into the Module folder. This is what I got from the dir.txt file:

Okay, that shows nothing added into FS apart from FSUIPC, so that's okay.

In addition, here is the log without Flight Center running:

That log was without Flight Center running. For some reason it still wants to show up...?

Then FLControl is most definitely still being run. Are you starting this with a batch file, or what? Your FSUIPC INI doesn't have any Run Options set (or at least you didn't show any in the INI file), so how are you running that program?

I'm really running out of ideas. All this is so far EXACTLY what happens with WindowBlinds. You must have something else running which is taking over the control of Window facilities like menus. All I can think of doing is trying to get a list of all the processes which are running, then looking at those, one by one.

Do you think you could do this:

1. Ctrl+Alt+Del, get the task manager showing

2. Select "Applications", and make sure the window size is long enough to show the whole list

3. Press ALT+PrintScr. That puts a picture of that window onto the clipboard

4. Load up Paint (in the Programs-Accessories group) and paste in the snapshot by Shift+Insert. Save the picture of the Window as, say, "MyApplications.bmp"

5. Now select "Processes" in the Task Manager, stretch the window to show the whole list (there'll be a lot more) and do steps 3 and 4 again, saving it as, say "MyProcesses.bmp". Then either show both pictures here, or ZIP them up and send them to me at petedowson@btconnect.com.

Regards,

Pete

SDK,

There seems to be some short time until FSUIPC "connects" to FS2004 (or whatever it does). I had a similar behaviour when I first started FS2004 with FSUIPC and FSGarmin430. For about a minute or two, I couldn't open the menu bar, it just didn't appear. Then it came up without a "modules" section. Another half minute later it showed the "modules", but empty. Then the FSUIPC came up, and even later the FSGarmin.

Maybe it helps to wait a little longer?

Regards,

Fussel

Ok, Update:

I was on the phone with flight link for quite some time, and I got them to send me a different version of Flight Center. Well, it turns out the the Flight Center I had downloaded from (I cannot remember the site) was faulty. So with the new version, I was able to pull up the modules menu and register FSUIPC. I cannot believe I could have saved 15+ hours had I just called the people... At least I learned the 'ins' and 'outs' of FS2004. Thank you very much for you help, Pete. My apologies for making your hectic life all the more.

Sincerely,

-SDK

I was on the phone with flight link for quite some time, and I got them to send me a different version of Flight Center. Well, it turns out the the Flight Center I had downloaded from (I cannot remember the site) was faulty. So with the new version, I was able to pull up the modules menu and register FSUIPC. I cannot believe I could have saved 15+ hours had I just called the people... At least I learned the 'ins' and 'outs' of FS2004. Thank you very much for you help, Pete. My apologies for making your hectic life all the more.

Not at all! I'm glad you got it solved. Very strange that it could have the effect of preventing the Modules menu from appearing though. I still don't understand why that happened.

Regards,

Pete