The simFlight Network Forums

Starting Over

When I first started using FSUIPC I essentially used trial and error to determine what seemed to work best. This worked for most of my controls, however the last few are proving to be a pain, mostly because of my intial testing.

Now that I'm far more familiar with the program and actually edit the .ini file, I've found I've created a bit of an issue with consistency and would simply like to start the whole process over.

Would a simple uninstall and re-install be the best approach, or would it be better to delete buttons and profiles out of the .ini? It's the aircraft profiles to buttons that I've erred with.

Thanks!

-chris

When I first started using FSUIPC I essentially used trial and error to determine what seemed to work best

Why trial and error? Don't the documents provided help? I don't understand. You should use a logical scientific approach, not random tests.

Now that I'm far more familiar with the program and actually edit the .ini file,

Why are you editing the INI file? Have you not discovered the Options dialogue in FS itself? What are you trying to do which can't be done there?

Would a simple uninstall and re-install be the best approach, or would it be better to delete buttons and profiles out of the .ini?

Re-installing doesn't touch any of your settings, it simply replaces the FSUIPC module itself (DLL) with an exact copy, or an update if it's a different and later version. If you want to delete your settings you need to delete the INI file. Same with any MCRO files you've mad which you don't want.

Regards

Pete

Whoa! Thanks for the quick response Pete!

Why trial and error? Don't the documents provided help? I don't understand. You should use a logical scientific approach, not random tests.

Well, that's no fun....no actually I started doing things before I really understood how they worked. The documentation was more than adequate. I did get confused on creating profiles, but that was my fault. I should add that I installed FSUIPC in conjuntion with a new controller and was learning both along the way.

Why are you editing the INI file? Have you not discovered the Options dialogue in FS itself? What are you trying to do which can't be done there?

The options dialogue in FSUIPC is telling me that I've mapped several functions to the same buttons, and to go to the INI file to correct. That has actually worked in some instances, but I've made a number of changes and have lost track. I rarely have time to sit and focus for a couple of hours on this task. I've not use the options dialoge in FS, except to deconflict.

Re-installing doesn't touch any of your settings, it simply replaces the FSUIPC module itself (DLL) with an exact copy, or an update if it's a different and later version. If you want to delete your settings you need to delete the INI file. Same with any MCRO files you've mad which you don't want.

Understand, is there an option to start with a blank slate INI file? Don't want to break anything.

Regards

Pete

v/r

-chris

Edited by TeaSea

The options dialogue in FSUIPC is telling me that I've mapped several functions to the same buttons, and to go to the INI file to correct.

Yes, but the options dialogue doesn't allow you to do multiple assignments to buttons, so the INI file must have been edited beforehand, or suffered some sort of corruption?

Understand, is there an option to start with a blank slate INI file? Don't want to break anything.

If you delete the INI file, FSUIPC reverts to all default settings, just as when first installed. No INI file is actually installed for you, it is generated when there isn't one.

Regards

Pete

Pete,

Just wanted to pass on that I did delete the ini file and started a new one. For whatever reason, this time I'm able to program everything with no issues and use all the profiles I want to. No problems thus far.

So, from my perspective this worked out great. Can't really say why I was having issues other than perhaps there was some corruption to the file. Despite my comments on experimenting, after going back through the documentation nothing I was doing should have introduced the problems with some of the button programs.

In any case, all's well, and I've learned a little more!

I'm having trouble deciding if running the Flight Sim is more enjoyable than playing with the controls....they are neck and neck right now. : )

I'm having trouble deciding if running the Flight Sim is more enjoyable than playing with the controls....they are neck and neck right now. : )

Well, as a perpetual tinkerer I certainly know what you mean! Even when enjoying a flight i'm thinking of the things I could change! ;-)

Pete