The simFlight Network Forums

Assigning keystrokes to a secondary keypad

Pete-

I purchased this- http://www.cybersnipa.com/us/gaming-keyboards/gamepad.php

I would like to MAP the various keys to send FS/EZCA appropriate keystroke commands. Is this possible? When I connected it and loaded FSX/FSUIPC I was not able to see the keypad buttons in the Button/Keystroke menus (unlike joystick buttons which show up).

I'm guessing something/scripting will be needed- and being feeble minded- that terrifies me :)

Would you have a couple of pointers....... is LUA the way? I started reading that section and I'm completely lost. Do I need to use something like - http://www.hidmacros.eu/whatisit.php

or are you AS USUAL way ahead of me, and have written something in FSUIPC which will accomplish the same thing?

Unfortunately- this device, is basically just another "copy" of the existing keys on the current keypad and I would like it to function as a "SECOND" input device (third if you count my mouse, fourth if you count my PFC Console etc....). Caveat Emptor!

Thanks Pete!

C

I purchased this- http://www.cybersnip...rds/gamepad.php

I would like to MAP the various keys to send FS/EZCA appropriate keystroke commands. Is this possible?

No idea. Are the keys visible to FS?

When I connected it and loaded FSX/FSUIPC I was not able to see the keypad buttons in the Button/Keystroke menus (unlike joystick buttons which show up).

It isn't a joystick type device then? Sounds like it needs its own driver. doesn't it come with any software?

Unfortunately- this device, is basically just another "copy" of the existing keys on the current keypad

Ah, so they keys MUST be recognsed, then, surely? Earlier you said they weren't! I'm confused now.

and I would like it to function as a "SECOND" input device

There is a program, which I tried once but couldn't get on with, called "HidMacros" which might do it for you.

Would you have a couple of pointers....... is LUA the way? I started reading that section and I'm completely lost. Do I need to use something like - http://www.hidmacros.eu/whatisit.php

Ah, you found it! I think that's the only answer to multiple keyboards.

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete!

Will try and and see. Best I can understand right now the keypad is detected by Win 7 (USB) as I get the message that Win & loaded drivers for it. Then I think its just a COPY of the 30 some odd keys that are already on the keyboard. Perhaps the HIDMacro will be just fine. I will test it and let you know after work this evening.

FSUIPC does NOT see the buttons and this confuses me because I thought it would at least see it as the default button press......... the large blue butterfly keys are apparently just the QWEASD keys as I guess they are used a lot for movement in FPS games.

Will keep you informed......ta!

C

Will try and and see. Best I can understand right now the keypad is detected by Win 7 (USB) as I get the message that Win & loaded drivers for it. Then I think its just a COPY of the 30 some odd keys that are already on the keyboard.

Yes, Windows own keyboard driver treats all keyboards the same. You can have as many as you like, but the keys are the keys which are the keys. Some add-on keypads come with drivers which you can program, but otherwise you have to have a program which not only reads them individually as US HID devices, but also hooks into the target program(s) to prevent them still being seen as normal keyboards. That's quite complex. I think HidMacros does it though.

FSUIPC does NOT see the buttons and this confuses me because I thought it would at least see it as the default button press

But they aren't buttons. They'll be seen in the Key assignments tab as keys from the keyboard.

Pete

Having no success.... even with HID Macros.....

I didn't either, but i was trying to get two keyboards sending different things for the same keys to two different programs running on the same PC.

I think the author of HIDmacros is quite helpful. Have you tried?

Regards

Pete