The simFlight Network Forums

Installing FSUIPC 4.80

I am currently running FSX on Windows 7 x64. I have been using FSUIPC 4.7c with no problems. I have tried to install the new FSUIPC 4.80 and, after doing so, FSX tells me there is a problem with the third party program (FSUIPC4). I tried removing the old module first and then installing 4.80 but nothing works. Is there something I am not understanding, here? I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks,

Tim

I am currently running FSX on Windows 7 x64. I have been using FSUIPC 4.7c with no problems. I have tried to install the new FSUIPC 4.80 and, after doing so, FSX tells me there is a problem with the third party program (FSUIPC4). I tried removing the old module first and then installing 4.80 but nothing works. Is there something I am not understanding, here? I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Sounds like the SimConnect trust bug. FSUIPC isn't even getting loaded. See the first thread in the FAQ subforum.

Pete

Sounds like the SimConnect trust bug. FSUIPC isn't even getting loaded. See the first thread in the FAQ subforum.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the quick reply. Here's what I did with the info I read in the FAQ: I recovered an Acronis Image that never had FSX on it and reinstalled FSX. After intalling the SP1 and SP2 I installed FSUIPC 4.80 and everything worked fine. Until I copied just the Button and Key assignments from my old FSUIPC.ini file. Of course that changed the size of the ini file and things stopped working again. I went back into the ini file and deleted all the Button and Key assignments and, after one complaint, FSX started and ran just fine. I tried pasting the assignments back into the ini file and FSX went back to crashing everytime. I have not tried recreating all those assignments with FSUIPC whild FSX is running. I don't know if that would work or not; I will try that, later.

Other than the lack of support for FSUIPC prior to version 4.80, is there any other reason I should continue trying to get FSUIPC 4.80 to work?

Thanks,

Tim

Until I copied just the Button and Key assignments from my old FSUIPC.ini file. Of course that changed the size of the ini file and things stopped working again. I went back into the ini file and deleted all the Button and Key assignments and, after one complaint, FSX started and ran just fine. I tried pasting the assignments back into the ini file and FSX went back to crashing everytime.

Ouch! So there's something in those assignments which 4.80 doesn't like. I certainly need to fix that. Can you please send the INI which causes the crash to me so I can fix it? AND the FSUIPC4 log file which is produced in an attempt which crashes.ZIP it and send it to petedowson@btconnect.com.

I am working on 4.81 this very moment for a release this week, so as soon as you can send me this the better, please.

Please then also try version 4.805 which you can get from the Download Links subforum.

Regards

Pete

I'll have that for you later this afternoon, Pete. I need to reinstall FSX in order to do it the way it was.

Not sure why you need to reinstall FSX. Earlier you said

I went back into the ini file and deleted all the Button and Key assignments and, after one complaint, FSX started and ran just fine. I tried pasting the assignments back into the ini file and FSX went back to crashing everytime.

If it is so consistent, why a reinstall? What does that do for you?

Regards

Pete

I'll have that for you later this afternoon, Pete.

Logs and INIs arrived. I've had a brief look.

Your button and key assignments are one f the clearest cases I've yet seen for using an abbreviated name, or even Profiles, for the assignment sections. You have lots and lots of duplicate assignments for the same aircraft type just because of different liveries.

Oddly you seem to have

UseProfiles=Yes

but you've not defined any profiles. And, worse, you have

ShortAircraftNameOk=No

Change that to

ShortAircraftNameOk=Substring

then you can delete all of the duplicates and shorten the aircraft names in the titles to common parts.

I'm not sure yet what is crashing FSUIPC but I suspect it's one of the corrupted sections. You have several headed badly:

[buttons.Level D Simulations B767-300ER - United Airlines

[buttons.Level D Simulations B767-300ER - Delta Air Lines

[buttons.Level D Simulations B767-300ER - British Airways

[buttons.Level D Simulations B767-300ER - Varig [DXT3]

[buttons.Level D Simulations B767-300ER - Continental Airlines

etc.

I'm. not sure what Windows will make of those -- they need closing ] characters.I also don't know how your file got into this state. Windows standard profile functions are used to maintain the INI file, and that must have section titles delineated by [ ... ]

I'll do two things:

1. Fix FSUIPC so it doesn't crash on such bad inputs

2. Tidy up your file and send it back to you. I think with Profiles, not Aircraft-specific settings, don't you?

I'm just relaxing for the evening now, though. I may do it later tonight, or if not in the morning.

Regards

Pete

You've now sent me three emails and I've replied to each one but each is being rejected because your email address is in an "incorrect format" (at least, that's what the rejection it says -- I can't see why it thinks that, though).

Please PLEASE read this thread. I explained what was wrong with your INI file long before your second email!

I've fixed FSUIPC4 so version 4.81 won't crash on the sorts of errors found in your INI file -- it will add the missing ] to those lines for you. However, I've also tidied up your INI file, removing the duplication and put everything tidily into Profiles.

Pete

FSUIPC4 INI.zip

Hi Pete,

I am truly sorry I didn't refer to this thread. I don't use these forums as often as I used to and have forgotten some little courtesies.

As I have told you before, Pete, I have a great respect and appreciation for your excellent work with FSUIPC.

I really do appreciate all your help, Pete. As I've said before, Flight Simulator (any version) would not be of much interest to me without the tremendous improvement in the sim experience made possible by your invaluable contribution with all versions of FSUIPC. In my opinion, you have contributed more than Microsoft.

Tim

I am truly sorry I didn't refer to this thread.

That's okay. It was just really frustrating not being able to reach you.

The problem with the missing ] character on the headings will no longer crash FS with FSUIPC 4.81 or later, available now from the Download Links subforum. In fact it fixes them by adding the missing ].

I hope you like the Profiles i set for you in the INI. I simply used the shorter form of the aircraft names.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Yes. I really like the .ini file you sent me. Wow! I wish I could lose as much weight as my old .ini file did! I am so glad to see that can be done because it will be so much easier to maintain than the mess I had. I didn't think it possible to just reference the aircraft model and not each livery, though.

I have FSUIPC 4.81 installed and every aircraft in the fsuipc.ini file you sent me worked great...except for the Level-D 767-300ER. But 4.81 set up the Delta 767 for me with the button assignments that I had used. Using that as the pattern I changed the lines in your .ini file but only where the Level-D 767 is concerned. Those changed lines look like this:

[Profile.B767-300ER]

1=B767-300ER

2=Level D Simulations B767-300ER - United Airlines

3=Level D Simulations B767-300ER - Delta Air Lines

4=Level D Simulations B767-300ER - British Airways

5=Level D Simulations B767-300ER - Varig DXT3

6=Level D Simulations B767-300ER - Continental Airlines

7=Level D Simulations B767-300ER - US Airways

8=Level D Simulations B767-300ER - United Parcel Service

9=Level D Simulations B767-300ER - Alaska Airlines

10=Level D Simulations B767-300ER - North American Airlines

11=Level D Simulations B767-300ER - Executive Jet

[buttons.B767-300ER]

0=P0,7,C65595,0

1=R0,10,C65602,0

2=P0,6,C65752,0

3=P0,11,C65909,0

4=P0,9,C65853,0

5=P0,8,C65589,0

6=P0,1,C65570,0

7=P0,4,C65759,0

8=P0,5,C65758,0

9=R0,2,C65607,0

10=R0,3,C65615,0

11=U0,11,C65584,0

12=U0,8,C65584,0

13=U0,9,C65584,0

I left the first line alone but added the rest of the profiles. It works perfectly now and leaves the .ini file you modified Lean and Mean. :razz:

Thank you so much for your help and for the learning experience.

Tim

I have FSUIPC 4.81 installed and every aircraft in the fsuipc.ini file you sent me worked great...except for the Level-D 767-300ER. But 4.81 set up the Delta 767 for me with the button assignments that I had used. Using that as the pattern I changed the lines in your .ini file but only where the Level-D 767 is concerned. Those changed lines look like this:

[Profile.B767-300ER]

1=B767-300ER

2=Level D Simulations B767-300ER - United Airlines

3=Level D Simulations B767-300ER - Delta Air Lines

4=Level D Simulations B767-300ER - British Airways

5=Level D Simulations B767-300ER - Varig DXT3

6=Level D Simulations B767-300ER - Continental Airlines

7=Level D Simulations B767-300ER - US Airways

8=Level D Simulations B767-300ER - United Parcel Service

9=Level D Simulations B767-300ER - Alaska Airlines

10=Level D Simulations B767-300ER - North American Airlines

11=Level D Simulations B767-300ER - Executive Jet

But only the first line, 1=B767-300ER is needed to match ALL of those because they ALL contain that substring. Or have you changed "ShortAircraftNameOk=substring" again?

Pete

Oh, Pete,

"Dang me, they ought to take a rope and hang me." (A song)

I checked the .ini file and guess what?

It said: ShortAircraftNameOk=Yes

So, I changed it to: ShortAircraftNameOk=substring

And guess what, Pete? (You know "what" don't you) It worked without the extra profile lines I added.

I can't imagine how that line got changed to Yes instead of substring, though. I never touched it. Is it possible when I installed FSUIPC 4.81 that 4.81 changed it?

Anyway, you're right again. It works now.

Thanks again, Pete. Next time I fly my Level-D 767 to London, I'll have to stop by and take you to lunch.

Thanks,

Tim

I checked the .ini file and guess what?

It said: ShortAircraftNameOk=Yes

Ah. Sorry. It was my error!

In older versions of FSUIPC ( I don't recall eexactly when it chaged -- 4.7??) this defaulted to "No". In the current versions it defaults to "Substring".

But when I was testing the changes to stop FSUIPC crashing wihen reading those section headings with missing ] vharacters, I did change it to "Yes" as part of testing. I now see I forgot to change it back to "Substring" afterwards, so it was wrong in the INI is upplied in this thread earlier! Sorry!

Regards

Pete

O.K. All's well that ends well. Actually, I was going to read your last post again and I wanted to actually read through that fsuipc.ini file. I'm ashamed to say I have never looked very closely at any of those .ini files. But, I did have a peek at inside the module from within FSX and it looks very interesting. It appears as though I could very easily include another B738 livery just by using the "Based On.." functiion.

Anyway, thanks again for all your help, Pete.

Tim