The simFlight Network Forums

How to use more than one joystick?

Hi All

I noticed, in FS2002 FSUIPC, that you can allocate joysticks to do a variety of different functions. I currently have a Microsoft Sidewinder 1, and would like to add another joystick, well maybe more than one. I understand that the sidewinder utilises the four axis so I can not use a Y cable.

How do I add another port? Can I use another soundcard, eg. soundblaster, or is there a card available to add more ports?

Your comments appreiciated.

Simon :D

How do I add another port? Can I use another soundcard, eg. soundblaster, or is there a card available to add more ports?

These days the normal way would be to use USB devices instead of Game Ports. Isn't your SideWinder USB compatible? You can certainly have several joystick devices connected at once with USB.

When motherboards sported a Game Port as well as Sound Cards you either had to disable one or the other, or make sure the sound card was one which could detect the other game port and configure its own to be on a different port. There also used to be multiple Game Port cards around -- I think there was one by Thrustmaster, for instance.

But this is getting more difficult now. You may possibly find that adding another PCI sound card will do the job, but you will have lots of messing about to do to configure the drivers. I don't think the standard SB drivers cater for more than one card so you'd need a card with totally different and not incompatible drivers.

If I were you I'd look at USB devices. It's a whole lot simpler, especially if you are using Windows XP. (Windows 98SE or Me work with USB devices, but can be awkward with more than one -- they seem to be prone to reassigning them differently each time you boot).

Regards,

Pete