The simFlight Network Forums

AutoSave with PMDG's NGX

Hello Pete,

After updating to PMDG's release SP1c I got in trouble when trying to use AutoSave stored flights. When reloading the flight I do not get a complete and working panel state and when trying to reload the saved PMDG panel state it finally leads to a freeze of my FSX. Is there anything you can do about this? PMDG's answer to my related ticked reads like this:

We actually recommend against the use of the FSUIPC Autosave function as it doesn't work properly with the NGX. A better way to save is to use the FSX Flight save function instead. This should create a PMDG Panel save state as well that will allow you to continue your flight from the same condition as when you saved it. There are details on this in the introductory section of the manual for the NGX so please take a quick read through there for more details.

I have to explain, that it worked with previous NGX releases in most cases in the past - but not always.

After updating to PMDG's release SP1c I got in trouble when trying to use AutoSave stored flights. When reloading the flight I do not get a complete and working panel state and when trying to reload the saved PMDG panel state it finally leads to a freeze of my FSX.

All FSUIPC does is call the FSX save, so that comment from PMDG isn't really very good. They obviously don't know what it does.

It may be, though, that because the AutoSave method deliberately doesn't enter a dialogue there are parts of the NGX which are carrying on changing things, so that the saved files get disjointed. Maybe you need to Pause before each save, but that would rather spoil the point wouldn't it?

Regards

Pete

All FSUIPC does is call the FSX save, so that comment from PMDG isn't really very good. They obviously don't know what it does.

It may be, though, that because the AutoSave method deliberately doesn't enter a dialogue there are parts of the NGX which are carrying on changing things, so that the saved files get disjointed. Maybe you need to Pause before each save, but that would rather spoil the point wouldn't it?

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

I was afraid about this kind of answer. The difference seems to be indeed, that the related call in FSX really stops the flight. My own theory is that it might be a timing issue as there are obviously quite some data to be processed in order to complete such a complex panel state (they use 3 files to do so). I'm not sure if Autosave is able to hold all related data in a separate process thread in order to store all of them.

I was afraid about this kind of answer. The difference seems to be indeed, that the related call in FSX really stops the flight. My own theory is that it might be a timing issue as there are obviously quite some data to be processed in order to complete such a complex panel state (they use 3 files to do so). I'm not sure if Autosave is able to hold all related data in a separate process thread in order to store all of them.

That would need to be done in the NGX code of course. Nothing outside their code knows what needs to be done. I don't understand why they don't automatically instigate their own save routine when they are notified of an FS Save being done. They always used to, and they must be doing that when the FSX menu save is used. What about saving via ";"? Does that work? Mind you, it should do really because that too pauses flight whilst you enter the name for the file.

Regards

Pete