The simFlight Network Forums

Initial installation of FSUIPC and WideFS

Hello,

I am just bringing three new PC´s into life in order to run my simulator (FSX); all three PC´s are connected and they can see eachother. They are obviously connected as they can see eachothers drive. Operating system is Win 7 / 64bit and to each PC an IP address is firmly assigned.

FSX is running with FSUIPC and WideFS (latest version) installed; on the two client PC´s WideClient is installed. Everything was done according to the manual, but the client PC´s are still waiting for connection after starting WideClient on the both PC´s, although FSX with FSUIPC is running.

Attached you find the log files which might give you some hint.

I kindly ask you for help and assistance about what is wrong or what I missed to do.

Thanks a lot

Stephan

WideClient ini PC-2.txt

WideClient PC-2.txt

WideClient PC-3.txt

I am just bringing three new PC´s into life in order to run my simulator (FSX); all three PC´s are connected and they can see eachother. They are obviously connected as they can see eachothers drive. Operating system is Win 7 / 64bit and to each PC an IP address is firmly assigned.

Well the IP address you've specified in the WideClient INI file appears to be one for an Internet provider in Thailand. It most certainly is not a Local IP address.

IP: 180.180.10.99
Decimal: 3031698019
Hostname: 180.180.10.99
ISP: TOT Public Company Limited
Organization: TOT Public Company Limited
Services: None detected
Assignment: Static IP
State/Region: Lop Buri
City: Lop Buri
Latitude: 14.7981
Longitude: 100.654

[/CODE]

WideClient is not able to connect via the internet, it is intended only for use on a local internet.

ServerIPAddr=180.180.10.99

Protocol=TCP

Why did you put these parameters in? If all three computers are in the same WorkGroup they should find each other automatically? If you must put the IP address in, put the actual local IP address you've assigned to the Server into the INI files.

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete,

now coming closer to the issue...

The three mentioned PC´s are physically connected via a seperate LAN card and therefore have got three local IP addresses (180.180.10.99, 180.180.10.100, 180.180.10.101). This network works as all three PC´s can see eachother and their drives. It´s not working via the internet

Nevertheless I now additionally have a WorkGroup and again all three PC´s see eachother. PC3 now got an immediate WideClient connection to PC1/FSX but PC2 WideClient (connected in the same way) still waits for a connection. What´s wrong here as there seems to be no difference compared to PC3 ??

Log from PC2 now follows:

********* WideClient Log [version 6.94] Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 21/04/12, Time 15:40:46.910: Client name is PC2-NAV

78 LUA: "C:\WideClient\Initial.LUA": not found

78 Attempting to connect now

1076 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast

1076 Failed to connect: waiting to try again

3120 Attempting to connect now

11185 ****** End of session performance summary ******

11185 Total time connected = 0 seconds

11185 Reception maximum: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

11185 Transmission maximum: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

11185 Max receive buffer = 0, Max send depth = 0, Send frames lost = 0

11185 ********* Log file closed (Buffers: MaxUsed 0, Alloc 0 Freed 0 Refused 0) *********

The three mentioned PC´s are physically connected via a seperate LAN card and therefore have got three local IP addresses (180.180.10.99, 180.180.10.100, 180.180.10.101). This network works as all three PC´s can see eachother and their drives. It´s not working via the internet

How did you come by those IP addresses? They are not in the normal ranges allocated for Local Area Networks. i think this causes a problem. These are the reserved local addresses (from http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-lan/index.html , but you can see them in many places).

Table 1. Address ranges and LAN sizes Address range Subnet mask Provides Addresses per LAN

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255.255 255.0.0.0 1 class A LAN 16,777,216

172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 255.255.0.0 16 class B LANs 65,536

192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 25.255.255.0 256 class C LANs 256

Most folks use the last one, 192.168.xxx.xxx. I've never seen anyone use internet addresses for local PCs and I cannot see how it cannot cause all sorts of problems.

Nevertheless I now additionally have a WorkGroup and again all three PC´s see eachother. PC3 now got an immediate WideClient connection to PC1/FSX but PC2 WideClient (connected in the same way) still waits for a connection. What´s wrong here as there seems to be no difference compared to PC3 ??

PC2 is not receiving the broadcasts from the Server to tell it the Server IP address and protocol. The usual reason for this is that the PC is not in the same workgroup, but another possible reason is that the version of Windows on that PC is earleir that XP SP1 whichy is, I think, when the broadcasting facilities were implemented.

Regards

Pete

It was the idea from my local IT guy who set up my network; in my previous system setup I used the 192.168.XXX ; I will discuss it with him again.

PC2 indicates the same workgroup as PC1 and PC3; all three PC´s use Win7 /64 and should have got the same service pack as they were set up at the same time. But I will check this also with my IT guy.

best regards

Stephan

PS: cannot upload a screen from my networl setup (seen from PC2) as the file seems to be too big with 50K ??

PC2 indicates the same workgroup as PC1 and PC3; all three PC´s use Win7 /64 and should have got the same service pack as they were set up at the same time

Nevertheless, the Client isn't receiving the broadcasts. That's what it is waiting for. It doesn't really need them -- you can provide it with the ServerName or ServerIPAddr and Protocol parameters instead. That's what folks with different workgoups have to do.

Or maybe it's some sort of firewall blocking the ports being used? 8002 and 9002 by default.

PS: cannot upload a screen from my networl setup (seen from PC2) as the file seems to be too big with 50K ??

Wouldn't be any use to me anyway. I know virtually nothing about networks, only what i can look up when I have a problem. The Network part of the code in WideFS s lifted direct from Microsoft examples.

Regards

Pete