The simFlight Network Forums

crash avoidance g3d.dll

Hello Mr. Dowson,

again I have a short question referring to the crash avoidance patch in the latest FSUIPC 4 version (with updated modules).

I purchased your nice product and I'm glad to say, that my CTDs in certain sceneries are gone now - WELL DONE!!!

Still I realized a strange aspect today and I would simply like to now if it's normal:

If I'm informed correctly the crash avoidance patch is a kind of ignoring a "scenery file not found" message. In fact I heard the windows 7 window-pop-up-sound lately when approaching ENGM, so I guess the patch was just "working" in that moment. I flew in full-window-mode, so I just heard the sound, but FSX didn't minimize or something like that. I could continue my approach without issues - finally! Thank you!

But today I did an approach again (this time in ENVA-Trondheim) and had to pause FSX before descending to my destination. I minimized FSX and put Windows on standby. I continued flying in full-window-mode again after some time, but this time FSX minimized automatically during the following approach. I was able to maximize the window again - there was no open window on the desktop, but still I got a little confused. Could it be, that your patch "worked" properly again, but that FSX minimized just in that moment, because I had minimized FSX manually some minutes ago (when pausing the game?)?

I hope that the minimize-issue is related to the patch, cause it would mean that there is nothing to worry about...

Actually I did the same flight before without manually minimizing and thereafter maximizing FSX before the approach and there were no issues...

Thanks a lot, again, and kind regards,

kriggelb

If I'm informed correctly the crash avoidance patch is a kind of ignoring a "scenery file not found" message.

No, I am sure that's not correct.

In fact I heard the windows 7 window-pop-up-sound lately when approaching ENGM, so I guess the patch was just "working" in that moment.

The G3D.DLL patch is completely and utterly silent. The only way you'd know whether it ever occurred is to look into the FSUIPC4 log -- each group of occurrences is logged and a total of all occurrences is given at the end of the log, after FSX is closed.

The only error sound FSUIPC makes is when the memory available to FSX is reduced below 300 Mb, because soon after that you would start getting problems ad evenutally an OOM error is likely. In the latest version (4.831) this check is reduced to 250 Mb and made optional via the "OOMcheck" parameter in the INI file.

I flew in full-window-mode, so I just heard the sound, but FSX didn't minimize or something like that. I could continue my approach without issues - finally! Thank you!

But today I did an approach again (this time in ENVA-Trondheim) and had to pause FSX before descending to my destination. I minimized FSX and put Windows on standby. I continued flying in full-window-mode again after some time, but this time FSX minimized automatically during the following approach. I was able to maximize the window again - there was no open window on the desktop, but still I got a little confused. Could it be, that your patch "worked" properly again, but that FSX minimized just in that moment, because I had minimized FSX manually some minutes ago (when pausing the game?)?

Sorry, I've never heard of any automatic "minimizing" of FSX, only minimizing by user action. I really have no idea what you have going on there, but none of that is anything whatsoever to do with FSUIPC at all. Why would you want to pause, minimize and maximize FS? What is it you think you are achieving by this? I've usually found such actions rather precarious. Best just run in full screen mode and leave it alone.

Regards

Pete