The simFlight Network Forums

Networking difficulties Windows 7 to XP

Hello Pete,

With a view to use Wide FS my challenge is as follows: My FSX is running on a new PC with Windows 7 64 bits, while my other FS programmes such as AS2012, EFB and MCE will run on an older laptop equipped with Windows XP SP3.

I created successfully the network from the Windows 7 PC, my laptop is identified on a new FSX network, but from my Windows XP laptop, I can see my FSX network and Windows 7 PC but when I want to access it, I get a request for a user name (which I did not create on Windows 7) and a password which was provided by Windows 7.

All my attempts so far bumped on that wall. I did some research on Internet but could not find anything referring to that particular aspect, in other words how can I circumvent this hurdle to access my Windows 7 PC from the XP laptop?

Can you kindly help me in this adventure?

Thank you. Best regards,

Jean-Claude

With a view to use Wide FS my challenge is as follows: My FSX is running on a new PC with Windows 7 64 bits, while my other FS programmes such as AS2012, EFB and MCE will run on an older laptop equipped with Windows XP SP3.

Same here. All my WideFS clients are using XP, whilst my FSX PC is win7 64.

I created successfully the network from the Windows 7 PC, my laptop is identified on a new FSX network, but from my Windows XP laptop, I can see my FSX network and Windows 7 PC but when I want to access it, I get a request for a user name (which I did not create on Windows 7) and a password which was provided by Windows 7.

All my attempts so far bumped on that wall. I did some research on Internet but could not find anything referring to that particular aspect, in other words how can I circumvent this hurdle to access my Windows 7 PC from the XP laptop?

Can you kindly help me in this adventure?

Not really. From time to time I've had difficulties with Networking, but i get around them by trial and error. I suspect the user name you need is the one you log in with on the Win7 PC, and the password will be blank if you never specified one.

When you created the Netwrok on the Windows 7 PC I hope you didn't let W7 do its thing with the "HomeGroup". If the Win7 network is "HomeGroup" then I don't think it is possible to connect from anything other than Win7 PCs. It's very specific to Win7. You'd need to delete it altogether and start again, avoiding "HomeGroup" like the plague!

Apart from that I'm afraid I don't know how to help. I'm far from being an expert on setting up Networks. Once i get one going i leave well alone. Once you do have a working network, using WideFS is not a problem.

Regards

Pete