The simFlight Network Forums

How to make a FS9 module (DLL)?

Hi Pete and all FS9 programmers,

I have a question which isn't FSUIPC specific it is more general to FS9 programming. I hope that Pete or someone else can give me a hint.

First my problem:

I programmed a weather program, which is currently a EXE program file. I would like to integrate the EXE file as Module (DLL) like FSUIPC, with his own menu system. Currently I only found the describtion of the gauges modules, but think this isn't the right SDK to make a FS9 integrated module.

The question is:

What SDK describe the programming of a FS9 module? I mean the Callback functions of the module and the functions of FS9 to get a menu item shown.

I know that I can use the FSUIPC interface for integrating HOT Buttons and menu items for my program. But I would like to make my program as DLL so FS9 loaded it at startup and integrate my menu in the weather menu of FS9 (if this is possible). I also know how to program a DLL in general.

Hope I made my problem and question clear and someone could help me

Thanks in advance

Markus

What SDK describe the programming of a FS9 module? I mean the Callback functions of the module and the functions of FS9 to get a menu item shown.

There's no such SDK, but the one to write Gauges (in the Panels SDK) is the closest. GAU files are DLLs but loaded by Panels.dll on demand rather than by FS on initialisation. The interface, the method to get FS load, the same. So write it as a gauge then rename it and move it.

It's a little more complicated of course. To start with you need to write the code so that it runs without impacting FS performance. If you are only interacting with the user via menus or hotkeys, then that probably isn't a worry.

There are no functions of FS9 to get into the menus. You use standard Windows API functions to determine when the menu is being drawn or created, and add your entries then.

Regards,

Pete