The simFlight Network Forums

Problem with RunIf

I'm having a problem running a particular program with RunIf and I was wondering if there is a limit to the number of characters in the program name?

In FSUIPC,ini, I have the following lines inserted:

RunIf1=READY,CLOSE,"L:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\FSMap\FSMap.exe"

RunIf2=READY,CLOSE,"L:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\rcv4x\rcv4.exe"

RunIf3=READY,"L:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\HiFi\AS2012\AS2012_Exec.exe"

RunIf4=READY,CLOSE,"L:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GoFlight\GoFlight PMDG Interface.exe"

RunIf5=READY,"L:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\AivlaSoft\EFB\AivlaSoft.Efb.DataProvider.exe"

RunIf6=READY,CLOSE,"L:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\AivlaSoft\EFB\AivlaSoft.Efb.DisplayUnit.exe"

Programs in lines 1-5 run fine. The AivlaSoft.Efb.DisplayUnit.exe program however refuses to run regardless of which RunIf number I assign to it or if I use the Run command as opposed to RunIf.

If I paste the part in quotes to the Windows Run dialog box, the program runs fine.

The relevant lines from the FSUIPC log file are below:

58438 GoFlight GFMCPPRO detected: 1 device

58454 Run: "L:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\FSMap\FSMap.exe"

58454 Run: "L:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\rcv4x\rcv4.exe"

58470 Run: "L:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\HiFi\AS2012\AS2012_Exec.exe"

58470 Run: "L:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GoFlight\GoFlight PMDG Interface.exe"

58470 Run: "L:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\AivlaSoft\EFB\AivlaSoft.Efb.DataProvider.exe"

59983 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled

I have checked the Windows Task Manager (I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64) and the AivlaSoft.Efb.DisplayUnit.exe program is definitely not running at the time I load a flight.

Kind regards,

Dennis

I'm having a problem running a particular program with RunIf and I was wondering if there is a limit to the number of characters in the program name?

No, no way. Anyway, if there was any problem in starting the program the log would log the details with the Windows error number. For example, I've just copied and pasted your lines into my INI file and the log shows:

266422 FSUIPC couldn't run: "L:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\FSMap\FSMap.exe" [Error=267]

266422 FSUIPC couldn't run: "L:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\rcv4x\rcv4.exe" [Error=267]

266437 FSUIPC couldn't run: "L:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\HiFi\AS2012\AS2012_Exec.exe" [Error=267]

266437 FSUIPC couldn't run: "L:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GoFlight\GoFlight PMDG Interface.exe" [Error=267]

266437 FSUIPC couldn't run: "L:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\AivlaSoft\EFB\AivlaSoft.Efb.DataProvider.exe" [Error=267]

266453 FSUIPC couldn't run: "L:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\AivlaSoft\EFB\AivlaSoft.Efb.DisplayUnit.exe" [Error=267]

Error 267 = directory name invalid (naturally, as i have no FSX on L:).

One essential piece of information you didn't supply is the FSUIPC version number. I always need to know that. But if you aren't using the current version , 4.84, I suggest that you update and try again, just in case.

The relevant lines from the FSUIPC log file are below:

The fact that it isn't even mentioned is the log can only mean that your line 6= is not even being read. But you said it doesn't load with any line number? Not even if you put it first, 1= ? Or on its own?

Regards

Pete

I have updated to the latest version 4.841 and still have the same issue, even if I put it first.

Strangely however, if the entry is on it's own, it works fine.

I've taken a look at the code (it is quite old now and not easily remembered!), and I've found a bug which will only affect process names which contain extra '.' characters, as in:

AivlaSoft.Efb.DataProvider.exe

I should really be looking for the last '.', the one before the "exe", so I will fix that. BUT the result of this bug is that this sequence:

RunIf5=READY,"L:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\AivlaSoft\EFB\AivlaSoft.Efb.DataProvider.exe"

RunIf6=READY,CLOSE,"L:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\AivlaSoft\EFB\AivlaSoft.Efb.DisplayUnit.exe"

will start DataProvider, but not DisplayUnit because a process which looks like "Aivlasoft" is already running. It's the action of the "If" when FSUIPC detects the process already running which would cause exactly the problem you reported.

The other way round, with DisplayUnit first, will always work for DisplayUnit unless DisplayProvider is running, and vice versa.

So, i suspect you misinterpreted the reults of your tests you did when you said:

The AivlaSoft.Efb.DisplayUnit.exe program however refuses to run regardless of which RunIf number I assign to it or if I use the Run command as opposed to RunIf.

Certainly using "Run" not "RunIf" should start it, or leave a message as to why not. Can you please re-check that, because if this is really true there's sdomething fundamentally different between your system and mine.

Maybe you were misreading which had started? If the DisplayUnit one is running and you have a RunIf for the Provider, then the latter wouldn't have run.

I will fix the bug I found, but i need to to clarify what you said, because if it is really true what you said, literally, then we have problem which is going to be very difficult and long-winded to investigate, as the paths for normal Run parameters are very simple.

Regards

Pete

Yes setting both programs to be started via the Run command worked - it's only when setting one or both to start via RunIf that one of them doesn't start.

I will leave them both set to Run until a new version of FSUIPC containing the fix is released.

Many thanks for your help Pete - much appreciated.

Regards

Dennis